Hobbes

Pontiac's War

Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:04 pm

[ATTACH]20517[/ATTACH]
Hi folks, an introduction to the new WiA Pontiac’s War scenario.

I will not comment on all the events depicted in the game as I would like to keep some surprises for the player.
In fact if you intend to play the scenario you may prefer to avoid reading the full AAR until you have played a few times.

EDIT: Due to a forum change images in the AARs are now repeated. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to prevent this in older threads.
In trying to fix the problem I have managed to delete all the images in this thread! (I thought I would restore one though).

Please see other AAR threads to get a feel for the scenario.

Cheers,
Chris
Attachments
The_Battle_of_Bushy_Run.jpg

Hobbes

Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:09 pm

April: 1763: Most units are fixed on turn one in order to execute the initial scenario events.

PhilThib

Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:11 pm

Bravo :thumbsup: :coeurs:

Hobbes

Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:55 pm

Pontiac
Born to an Ottawa father and Ojibwa mother around 1720, Pontiac had become an important Ottawa leader by 1755.
He was a powerful orator as well as warrior, and possessed a keen intelligence and skill as a strategist.

May 1763: The garrison at fort Michilimackinac remains unaware of Indian intentions and is vulnerable to attack.
At Detroit however Pontiac’s subterfuge is discovered and the Indians are denied entry to the fort.

Ojibwa and Sauk Indians move to assault the fort at Michilimackinac while Pontiac’s Ottawas join with Wyandot and Potawatomi braves to besiege fort Detroit.
To the South Kiashuta moves toward fort Pitt while Cornstalk leads his Shawnees on a raid toward the Susquehanna river settlements.

Hobbes

Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:49 pm

Upset the Sioux?

June 1763: Michilimackinac falls and Indian raids across the frontier leave many of the smaller British outposts burning.
At Niagara, Seneca Indians attempt to sever the supply route to Detroit by attacking the garrison at fort Erie.
With forts Detroit and Pitt under siege the British need to act quickly to relieve the beleaguered garrisons.

Pocus

Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:24 pm

It is sure a labor of love anyway. Thank you Chris!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

arsan

Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:00 pm

Looks great! :thumbsup: :coeurs: :coeurs:

Hobbes

Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:41 pm

Bouquet
Henri Bouquet was born in Switzerland in 1719. The son of a British officer, Bouquet followed his father’s footsteps, entering the British military in 1736.
Experienced in irregular warfare and an excellent leader of men, Bouquet devoted his training abilities to combining the qualities of a scout with the discipline of a trained soldier.

July 1763: With captives being taken in brutal Indian raids on the Susquehanna settlements the arrival of Colonel Henri Bouquet at Carlisle brings fresh hope to the colonists.
However his troops are exhausted and his priority is the relief of the fort Pitt garrison.

Ohio Map
The Shawnee, Delaware and Seneca Indians raided British settlements in the Ohio Country and western Pennsylvania during 1763.

Hobbes

Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:43 pm

August 1763: The British finally start to move against the Indians with Dalyell routing the Seneca at Niagara.
The victory is pyrrhic however as fort Erie falls before the detachment arrives.
Bouquet needs to rest before moving to relieve fort Pitt.

Many of the historical events that exist in the scenario can be influenced by player actions, other events or a random factor which should result in greater replayability.
Most of the events have a tooltip describing their effect in more detail.

Hobbes

Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:48 am

September 1763: Although still exhausted, Bouquet moves his troops toward fort Pitt. Dalyell's relief force reaches Detroit.

Hobbes

Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:11 am

October 1763: Bouquet is forced to withdraw from fort Pitt after battle with Kiashuta's besieging braves.

With winter coming I think I will leave it there. The Indians will be disappointed that neither Detroit or Pitt fell through siege but It is possible to play the scenario in a more aggressive manner. If the Indians hold together through the winter, 1764 will bring far more combat as many British reinforcements enter the theatre including John Bradstreet and his expedition.

It's only a quick demonstration AAR and there are still a few amendments I have to make. When the scenario is available I will post a regular PBEM AAR.

Cheers, Chris

Pocus

Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:30 am

Against me?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Hobbes

Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:10 pm

Pocus wrote:Against me?

Yes, if you still have the time.

Cheers, Chris

Carnium

Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:58 pm

This is just great Hobbes.
There are finally some military options for the native too and it seems you made a few new portraits too :coeurs:
I just can't wait to play this scenario :w00t:

Hobbes

Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:14 pm

Thanks Carnium. There are quite a few diplomatic options as well so you won't be able to just choose all the options - you will have to decide what you most want to do (some may even backfire on you). I actually forgot to load the diplomatic options for this demo :bonk:

Cheers, Chris

Hobbes

Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:32 pm

The playing area is quite a bit larger than I have shown in the AAR. Action in the later stages of the scenario may well centre on the Ohio river and the Illinois country.

TiFlo
Captain

Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:14 pm

That looks great Hobbes!!
Thanks a lot for the preview :thumbsup: :coeurs:

EDIT: While you may not have permission to use them in your campaign, since you seem to enjoy treating us with immersion pictures in your AAR, you could find the following useful (only links to the images, I don't want to overload your page).
On the trail to Fort Pitt
The conspiracy
Fort Pitt under siege
One mile to Bushy Run station
One of their own
Friends under fire
Warriors
Scouting for the English
[CENTER]« Quel pays ! Quels hommes ! Quelle guerre ! Non, ma chère maman, votre enfant n'est pas fait pour habiter cette contrée barbare. »
[/CENTER]
[CENTER] Louis-Antoine de Bougainville, 1758
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[CENTER][color=DarkGreen]WIA 1.05 Patch[/color]
[/CENTER]

Hobbes

Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:00 pm

Wonderful! Thanks for posting those TiFlo :thumbsup:

Hobbes

Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:34 am

Carnium

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:27 am

Hobbes wrote:Nice little film here :-

http://preview.tinyurl.com/PontiacsWar

Great stuff :w00t:
Is this a part of this mini series ?

Hobbes

Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:04 pm

Carnium wrote:Great stuff :w00t:
Is this a part of this mini series ?

I've not heard of that one. I found the series here - but can't find any of the other episodes. If anyone can find them please post.

http://www.theavcafe.com/frames/avdetail.php?ProductID=66340

(Grades 5-12) NATIVE AMERICANS AND FRONTIERSMEN SERIES (4 PROGRAMS)
Each of these programs tells a compelling but little known tale of the early days of conflict among Native Americans, Europeans, and Anglo Americans. These powerful docudramas will expand students' knowledge of American history between the French & Indian Wars and the War of 1812 beyond the conventional. Narrated by Peter Coyote. More Information
Titles in this series:
LONG KNIVE, ROGERS' RANGERS, PONTIAC, and TECUMSEH.

Cheers, Chris

Hobbes

Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:14 pm

Hobbes wrote:I've not heard of that one. I found the series here - but can't find any of the other episodes. If anyone can find them please post.

http://www.theavcafe.com/frames/avdetail.php?ProductID=66340

(Grades 5-12) NATIVE AMERICANS AND FRONTIERSMEN SERIES (4 PROGRAMS)
Each of these programs tells a compelling but little known tale of the early days of conflict among Native Americans, Europeans, and Anglo Americans. These powerful docudramas will expand students' knowledge of American history between the French & Indian Wars and the War of 1812 beyond the conventional. Narrated by Peter Coyote. More Information
Titles in this series:
LONG KNIVE, ROGERS' RANGERS, PONTIAC, and TECUMSEH.

Cheers, Chris

I just found the Tecumseh episode by typing Britannica Tecumseh into Yahoo but no luck with the other two.

Some video here about the Iroquois (to the right of the screen) :-

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1357826/Native-American/1357826rellinks/Related-Links

Might be worth having a closer look at this site.
Cheers, Chris

Hobbes

Fri May 22, 2009 9:26 pm

Hobbes wrote:I just found the Tecumseh episode by typing Britannica Tecumseh into Yahoo but no luck with the other two.

Some video here about the Iroquois (to the right of the screen) :-

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1357826/Native-American/1357826rellinks/Related-Links

Might be worth having a closer look at this site.
Cheers, Chris

I actually just watched this all the way through (not easy - you have about one second now to click on the link on the right hand side before the adverts take over).

It seems like an American school history of the Iroquois as far as I can tell - but there is hardly any mention of violence or how they subdued the tribes around them.

Chris :(

Hobbes

Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:58 pm

Just thought I would post an update on the Pontiac scenario as its been almost 5 months since the last post! It's amazing how long things take even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

The current plan is that after the next WiA patch I will release a mod version of the scenario on the forum - the patch after that should contain the full version.

The scenario will only take an hour or two to play against Athena. After spending so much time making it that seems a bit short - but hopefully a few people will enjoy it. Not a bad thing to have a scenario that can be started and completed after the kids have gone to bed though - and Athena does put up a very good fight.

I'll update after the next patch and post the mod and scenario notes here.
Cheers, Chris

Hobbes

Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:45 pm

P.S. most of the links I posted above no longer work - but the Pontiac one still does :-

Hobbes wrote:Nice little film here :-

http://preview.tinyurl.com/PontiacsWar

(If you press on the box symbol to the right of the % you get a reasonable full screen version).

Hobbes

Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:25 pm

Hi folks, the latest working file for the Pontiac scenario is now available here http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?p=161555#post161555

Cheers, Chris

arsan

Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:19 pm

Cool! :w00t: :coeurs:
Now... what should i do?? ... download and play?? :thumbsup:
or get some work done on the text translations to spanish?? :( ;)
Well, i will start downloading just in case... :wacko:

arsan

Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi Hobbes!!
Just installed and took a fast peek at the scenario. Look awesome :thumbsup:
But i noticed many units (Royal American detachments for example) don't show a proper model name on the bottom right element panel. :bonk:
I extracted it over a newly installed 1.06 and i'm using English language.
Let me know if you need some save or screens or anything :)
Cheers

PD: Pangi and Tiflo new units graphics are beautifull! :coeurs:

lodilefty

Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:37 pm

arsan wrote:Hi Hobbes!!
But i noticed many units (Royal American detachments for example) don't show a proper model name on the bottom right element panel. :bonk:
Cheers

Whoops! :blink:
Hobbes, I thought we fixed the Model names thingie, but I see the date on the scn file is from the 19th, not the 22nd..... :(

..and I can move these last few posts to Mods, if that's OK ;)
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Hobbes

Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:45 pm

arsan wrote:Hi Hobbes!!
Cheers

arsan, I was just going to suggest that you give it a quick go to make sure you can get it to work and then get back to the translation :)
Thanks for giving it a try and finding this problem. It's very weird as all the texts are in place. The even stranger thing is that this problem seemed to be sorted out by a new file that Lodi made. I loaded it and put it into the game and all was fine - I then made a new version myself and all was still fine. Now I try my version again having changed nothing and I can now see this problem again! :blink:

I will have another look tomorrow and try and find the reason.
If anyone has any ideas please post! I'm sure we will sort out the problem this weekend.

Thanks, Chris
P.S. I should also thank Pangi and Tiflo for the wonderful new graphics! The translators also have a lot of work - and will you be able to translate Cotton Mather into old Spanish? ;)

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America AARs”