TiFlo
Captain

Saratoga 1777, British AAR

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:31 am

Out of tiredness trying to get something out of modding WIA's graphics, I tried my hands at the AWI last night. I thought it would be nice to add to the already more than full list of AAR's for Wars in America, and share the story of my latest triumph.

Here it goes.

Saratag... Sarotaga... Sora... Sa... Oh whatever, that little clearing in the woods of America where His Majesty's proud soldiers got a well rounded beating sometimes ago.
Anyhow. I'm playing with pretty much all sliders in the middle. Enemy FOW advantage to low, historical attrition for both I and Athena, and activation is set to huge penalty but you can still move around dragging your misery.

May 1777.
The plans for this year are quite simple. Leaving from Montréal and New York, I am ordered to take Albany and secure the ways from Canada to the Hudson, as well as strike south and size Philadelphia. By December, the rebellion should be crushed, its leaders hanging high, and myself out of that far away land full of republican peasantry and bloodthirsty Savages, and back in the warmth and good spirit of my dear England.

But for now, I have absolutely no clue as to where the rebel forces are, nor what they intend to do for the coming campaign. I can only be sure they will jump at any opportunity to strike my forces wherever isolated. I will have to divide my troops carefully then if I want to be able to carry on all of my objectives, while keeping them from being crushed by concentrated American farm boys scum.

I am going to opt for a very straightforward strategy. In New York, I'm splitting up Howe's command. He himself will lead half of his army right into Philadelphia, hoping to find it unprepared for an early advance. Meanwhile, Cornwallis will take the other half of the New York expeditionary force and head up the Hudson to besiege West Point, both an objective and a lock on the way north to Albany and the junction with Burgoyne forces later on.

In Montréal however, rain prevents much movement on his part, and I am forced to give very shy orders. I am planning to send him, in command of much of the British regulars and the artillery, down the Champlain valley to assault Fort Ticonderoga, and then Albany. Von Riedesel will take the rest of the troops, mostly German companies, and board transports on the St Lawrence River to strike at Albany by the Mohawk valley, taking Fort Stanwix on his way. I'll give him Simon Fraser as an aide-de-camp, there is only so much you can expect from those Germans.

Burgoyne's artillery and supply train will go down Lake Champlain on boats, in order to avoid him being even more bogged down in his progression toward his objective.

And finally, Butler's rangers are moving down along the St Lawrence. I expect them to be in position to launch deep raids in the American backcountry next month. If the weather permits...

[CENTER]« Quel pays ! Quels hommes ! Quelle guerre ! Non, ma chère maman, votre enfant n'est pas fait pour habiter cette contrée barbare. »
[/CENTER]
[CENTER] Louis-Antoine de Bougainville, 1758
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[CENTER][color=DarkGreen]WIA 1.05 Patch[/color]
[/CENTER]

TiFlo
Captain

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:15 am

June 1777.

The American army appeared in Morristown. Although I know neither who the man in command is nor what the shape of his troops is, I can not run the risk to have New York taken. Right now, the city is only defended by Skinner and one regular regiment. Luckily, Howe's coup-de-main was a success, and Philadelphia fell without a single musket shot being fired! He's leaving Clinton an a few troops to guard the city, while he sets out to dislodge a party of Americans that could be a menace from Reading, before moving as fast as possible back to New York. Grey is also ordered north, and will dig in at Perth Amboy, hoping to slow down any rebel force advancing on New York.

Meanwhile, Cornwallis arrived in sight of West Point, surrounded the place, set up batteries and started sieging the place. If by next month he has not brought the enemy to surrender, he'll be ordered for an all out assault. His Majesty only moderately appreciate lack of results on the part of Its trustful officers.

Further north, operations are still stalling thanks to non-stop rain for the past weeks, that has transformed the Adirondacks in a giant pool of mud. Accordingly, Burgoyne and his men are still struggling to reach Crown Point, where his artillery is now waiting for them. Von Riedesel's army has boarded the St Lawrence flotilla, and is now sailing down. It is to disembark over Oswego, bypassing the fort to strike as fast as possible at Fort Stanwix.

Butler and his rangers are neither spared by that rather inconvenient weather, and have made little progress through the mountains.
On the bright side, Savages from the Caughnawaga mission have agreed to join the arms of England, and a party of their best warriors is now making its way down to the southern end of Lake George, where I expect them to provide Burgoyne with reports of any enemy movement from Albany up the valley. Yet, it is sad, that if these are the only reliable men we can have in these colonies, all might be lost...
[CENTER]« Quel pays ! Quels hommes ! Quelle guerre ! Non, ma chère maman, votre enfant n'est pas fait pour habiter cette contrée barbare. »
[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

TiFlo
Captain

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:00 am

July 1777.

Howe's raid on Reading before moving north was a success, and allowed some air to Clinton for the time being. On his way to New York, he then met with a detachment of the American main army, only scratching it but doing enough none the less to scare the rebels away from New York this month.

At West Point, Cornwallis is to launch an assault on the enemy's fortifications.

Having some room to manoeuver, Clinton is sending Delancy with a regiment of regulars to capture Wyoming, another objective, while the American army still sits at Morristown, apparently undecided as to what to do and shattered enough to ease my concern over the area. There is no time to lose!

Grey, having made it to New York unmolested, is ordered north toward Albany, following the east bank of the Hudson. He is to wipe any resistance before him until further orders.

Along the shores of Lake Ontario, the Germans disembarked unopposed. Von Riedesel is now rushing his men to Fort Stanwix, with order to assault the place without warning.

Burgoyne finally arrived to Crown Point. His army's spirit is about as low as it can get, the men exhausted by a two months (!) march through the woods. He is ordered to advance on Fort Ticonderoga anyway, as I can not spare anymore time if I want him in position over Albany when the other armies move in.

And finally, Butler's rangers are moving down the Mohawk, hoping to find some intelligence on the enemy's strength in the area.
[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

TiFlo
Captain

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:46 am

August 1777.

The State of British affairs looks pretty good. So far, everything went according to plans.

In Pennsylvania, Delancy captured Wyoming, pushing back an enemy unit of Dragoons in the process.
The Rebel army finally decided to move, and went for the obvious choice: Philadelphia is only garrisoned by the 43rd Foot under Clinton, while Wayne showed up with two continental regulars plus eight militia units and a train of artillery. Luckily, they had to march a long way from Morristown, and are now pretty low on cohesion. In the Hudson valley, Grey managed to capture Fishkill, opening wide and clean the road to Albany. He is ordered to stop all advance up north, and instead to turn back and make for Philadelphia as fast as possible. He is to avoid force marching his troops though, as I want them to arrive fresh enough to confront the rebels in case they want to deny the ground over the city.

Howe will stay in New York this month, covering the line from South to North. Yet, Washington does not appear to be of any serious threat.

Cornwallis successfully carried on West Point! In doing so, he earned respect and confidence from his men and officers alike, and I am promoting him to Major general. He and his men are now going to recover and heal their wounds, before moving north next month. Rebel troops north of them are trapped anyway. It is now only a matter of time before there remnants are crushed.

Von Riedesel swift action carried the day at Fort Stanwix, on top of which now floats the Union Jack. His army will not lose any time and keep pushing toward Albany, where I expect it to be in position to lay siege sometime later this month.

Butler's men are to bypass Albany and take control of Kingston if not defended. Then, all pieces will be set.

Well... not all. Burgoyne is still trying to catch his breath under the walls of Fort Ticonderoga. Supply is slowly disappearing. His command is in such a bad shape, that I wonder if I should not just send for him to withdraw and end his campaign already. Considering the condition of his troops, I actually feel pretty lucky that Sullivan's meagre garrison hasn't tried for a sortie en masse to bayonet them all in their sleep.

[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

TiFlo
Captain

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:21 am

September 1777.

Grey's army managed to join Clinton's besieged garrison, then clashed with Wayne's army in an effort to break off the siege. The result was a great victory of our arms, as Philadelphia is now free from the sight of any rebel. I am however sending Grey out after Washington, who moved his command in Trenton, so as to make sure the road north to New York is out of danger for the winter.

Unless exceptional movement from the rebels, Delancy and his men will dig in in Wyoming, where they can control the entire surrounding backcountry.

Von Riedesel's bold attempt on Albany did not turn out as successful as his previous move, and he got repulsed with heavy losses by Gates and his 7000 men. The German is going to rest at German Flat for this month, I am still hoping for a late success in this theatre.

I am now moving my second piece, ordering Cornwallis to move up the valley. His troops are well rested, they may make enough impression on Gates' peasants to gain surrender of the city.

Meanwhile, the third piece has still to prove it was even worth its sending abroad from England. Burgoyne men's morale is now so low that it is a wonder why the army has simply not vanished yet. I should really order them to clear the ground, but, God knows why, no courrier was dispatched. I may have abused of that caribou alcohol the Canadien make, and forgotten about the whole matter.
[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

TiFlo
Captain

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:46 am

October 1777.

Albany is ours!
Cornwallis bumped into Schuyler, inflicting his army over 500 casualties and forcing the rebels out of the city. I am ordering Von Riedesel to move into the city from German flat, in case Schuyler and Gates decide to launch a counter attack before I can regroup.

Grey had the better of Washington at Trenton, and is moving back to Philadelphia for winter quarters. The American army is indeed not far, but will need to find shelter soon and I am considering it not a threat anymore.

I finally realized that Burgoyne would not move by itself, and had him readying for a full retreat of what is left of his army. The artillery and supply train will go back to Fort Roberts on board the boats, while the rest of the men will walk back on their tracks from last Spring. They only have roots and their belts to eat, I am afraid this is going to turn to a full scale disaster. I wonder why Sullivan has not yet asked his starving besiegers for surrender. And Gates is at Fort Edward...

[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

TiFlo
Captain

Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:13 am

November 1777.

I thought Philadelphia safe from any attack, apparently I was wrong. Anyway, all the rebels got out of this late try was another draw, which hopefully will quiet them for the winter.

Here is the situation : Grey and Clinton are inside Philadelphia, while Delancy will spend the winter in Wyoming. Butler is moving north to secure the road from New York, where Howe is preparing for winter, to Albany where Von Riedesel and Cornwallis are entrenching to prevent a regrouping of the American force through winter.

On Lake Champlain, Burgoyne's army is now disintegrating. Fearing to be caught in ice, the fleet set sail north without waiting for the artillery to be on board. As a result, it is now trying to escape through the White Mountains. I believe I can count them lost already. The rest of the army is trying to escape north, but it has now turned into an all out rout, and I do not know how many will reach Chambly alive...

[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

TiFlo
Captain

Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:34 am

December 1777.

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]
[CENTER] Victory is mine!

[LEFT]Image
I am in control of all my objectives, primary as well as secondary, but Fort Ticonderoga that Burgoyne's expedition failed to take.

The Rebels did not seem to want to let Philadelphia go, and threw in a last attack, which cost them a great deal.

In Albany, nothing moved, and the British forces are strongly in possession of both the Mohawk and the Hudson valley. I suspect the American armies still wandering in the area to run out of supply soon.

On Lake Champlain, well... Burgoyne's army is no more. Yes, not a single men made it safe, and the disgraced commander and his staff are left to themselves to find a way to Montréal. I will not send any more men to them though, as they already have cost me way too many men without firing a single musket shot. Let Mother Nature decide of their fate.

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

And that is when I noticed Québec city up there. And Carleton's army that had been sitting on the green shores of the St Lawrence river for the entire duration of the campaign.... :blink:

[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

TiFlo
Captain

Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:52 am

Overall, a nice little scenario. I'm not very familiar with the AWI, so I tried to go for the most obvious/functional strategy: strike hard and fast, don't let the enemy gang up on you, keep your forces together as much as possible, and cut a clear line between the northern and the southern theatre so as to prevent enemy mobility. It turns out it wasn't so bad a choice after all (When playing the FIW or the War of 1812, I like to stay defensive with the French and the British, keeping the "what if" scenarii to a very minimum in effect).

I must admit I did not have too much difficulty handling Athena's American armies, but I guess this is what you get for playing at medium difficulty. And that's the way I like to play anyway (as I wrote somewhere else on the forum, I play to relax, I'm thinking enough as it is during the day :D ).

Burgoyne remains the main failure of the campaign. A huge one if I may. Although it didn't help at all that he did not activate a single time (ok, maybe once, I'm too lazy to check now), and that I got a soaky whether until mid-summer, I should probably have sent him that supply train I left sitting in Montréal the whole time. And paid more attention to withdraw him earlier, when it became obvious he would not break through. It wouldn't have hurt anyway. And it would have saved the lives of his soldiers (yes, I get attached to them, I'd rather not use a unit for an entire campaign than get half its men killed in some random fighting with no consequence on the overall campaign result).

And Carleton... Well, what to say? Maybe I shouldn't be too relaxed either when I play, but that's another matter :innocent:

All in all, thank you AGEOD for the fun provided, and thank you readers for stopping by and taking the time to follow that campaign. I hope you had as much fun reading as I enjoyed putting this all together! :happyrun:
[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Comtedemeighan
Brigadier General

Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:26 am

Cool a new AAR Thank You :thumbsup:
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem - By the Sword We Seek Peace, But Peace Only Under Liberty
-Massachusetts state motto-

"The army is the true nobility of our country."
-Napoleon III-

TiFlo
Captain

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:50 pm

You're welcome!

Now that I look at it, I could probably have put more information on the enemy stacks and movements, but it already took quite long to do just that (yeah, lazy me :D ).
And I just realized that the 15 days version of the scenario was fully functional when I started my game! I wish I'd known then...
[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America AARs”