Friedrich II
Conscript

AGE-engine and a problem with the fontsize...

Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:56 am

I just installed BOA 2 and I'm very pleased with the games graphics. But there seems to be a problem with the display of the text if you use "bigger font size" with windows like me:

Everything is ok if you use "normal font size" with windows, but this is not an option if you use a widescreen monitor like me. (Font size gets too small for reading.)

Would it be possible to change this little problem that does not occur at games like Age of Empires 3 with a future patch? :confused:

My system:
Windows Vista 32bit
Widescreen monitor (1680x1050 native screen resolution)

arsan

Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:54 am

Yes, you are right, all AGEOD games need normal windows font sizes (96dpi) to show texts properly.
Not sure if it can be "fixed" someway. One of the developers would have to answer that. :)
At least the game is playable this way. Don't look very good but... :bonk:
Or you can change windows fonts dpi before playing the game.

Friedrich II
Conscript

Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:29 pm

Thanks for your help! I can live with that, but it would be great if ageod could solve this little issue to make this game even more perfect. Besides this issue the graphics are REALLY beautiful: The GUI is very elegant and the map is quite outstanding - a sophisticated game!

Changing Windows fonts dpi is not an option for me, because I don't want to restart my computer everytime I play WIA... ;)

arsan

Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:04 pm

:bonk: Didn't knew one had to restart windows to change dpi :D

Friedrich II
Conscript

Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:41 am

Maybe one of the officials could tell us if this problem could be solved with a patch? ;)

Pocus

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:29 pm

Sorry, it is far from simple from rescaling all fonts according to the DPI setting of Windows. As a large part of players are using the standard setting, this was never considered as a critical priority (as we are always short of time).

You can try using this font.ini instead of the regular one which is in WIA\GameData (backup the original) to see if this do some goods.
Attachments
Fonts.zip
(456 Bytes) Downloaded 385 times

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Friedrich II
Conscript

Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:04 pm

Thanks a lot Philippe - it works! With the new fonts.ini it looks much better now:

Your customer service is truly outstanding! :thumbsup:

Maybe you could consider this problem with the next ageod-games? I think more and more gamers use large fonts with windows because of the widescreen monitors.

Thanks again! :)

Pocus

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:20 pm

you're welcome.

Our next game functions with a different DirectX library, so we have great hopes & expectations on the novelties.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:58 pm

For even bigger DPI (144), see my Fonts.ini file (then in \WIA\GameData).
A good thing is to downgrade the screen resolution too (1920x1080 to 1600x900 for me), but AGESettings is not very good. Instead use my Display.opt file (to be put in \WIA\Settings), and you may want to change the resolution in (instead of 1600x900, use WordPad). If your set your driver scalling, it should make the smaller resolution fullscreen.
Attachments
Fonts&Display.zip
(784 Bytes) Downloaded 260 times

Return to “WIA Technical support / Aide technique”