AndrewKurtz

Vista 64-bit

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:15 pm

I just got a new laptop and have Vista 64 bit. Because I have some PBEM games going, we haven't upgraded to the latest/greatest yet. So I tried just copying the WiA files from the old to the new and I'm getting some errors (also with NCP). But AACW is fine, so I'm assuming the AGEod products support 64 bit Vista.

But before I spend time trying to figure out what I did wrong, I thought it would be smart to verify this assumption first so I don't find myself trying to solve a problem I can't :D

So simple question...should WiA and NCP work on 64 bit Vista?

Primasprit

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:36 pm

Yes, it should work. I have Vista64 too and did not meet any problems. Generally I recommend to install the games not to the \Program Files\ directory, since this directory has some more restrictive access rights, which caused trouble for some running the games with standard user rights. (Normally this is not necessary however. But it can't harm, if it doesn't cause you inconvenience :) ).

Cheers
Norbert

lodilefty

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:08 pm

Looking at the crash info doesn't tell me much [PrimaSpirit, can you look too?] except that you have installed in other than Program Files :)

Since you simply copied the installed setup from your old computer, perhaps you should instead uninstall and do a 'real' installation to the new PC.

[be sure UAC is off too ;) ]

All together now:

We love Bill!!! We love Vista!! :neener:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

lodilefty

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:19 pm

Um, how do I know if I'm running 64 bit Vista?? :confused: :blink: :bonk: :o
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

AndrewKurtz

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:46 pm

You would have two Program File directories (one with x86).

What do you guys suggest as the best way to migrate considering I need an older version that the latest patches and I no longer have the old patches. Should I be able to install the original files and then just copy the entire WiA from my old computer to the new one?

Aphrodite Mae

Copying stuff

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:55 pm

I'm not sure, but wouldn't you need to copy the registry keys, too?

Dixicrat has done this, but he's not around to ask. All I remember is that there's some kinda stupidly long hex number that's some kind of identifier for the program in the registry, and that you can pull the stuff out as branches or twigs or something like that, and do some sort of mumbo jumbo to blend 'em all together.

There might be some incense, sacrifices, and incantations too. I'm not sure.

Havely

AndrewKurtz

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:57 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:I'm not sure, but wouldn't you need to copy the registry keys, too?

Dixicrat has done this, but he's not around to ask. All I remember is that there's some kinda stupidly long hex number that's some kind of identifier for the program in the registry, and that you can pull the stuff out as branches or twigs or something like that, and do some sort of mumbo jumbo to blend 'em all together.

There might be some incense, sacrifices, and incantations too. I'm not sure.

Havely

I was hoping the original install would take care of all that and, after done, all I would have to do is copy the upgraded files.

lodilefty

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:05 pm

AndrewKurtz wrote:You would have two Program File directories (one with x86).

What do you guys suggest as the best way to migrate considering I need an older version that the latest patches and I no longer have the old patches. Should I be able to install the original files and then just copy the entire WiA from my old computer to the new one?

That's worth a try....

The 1.02c patch is 29MB, too much to email....
[CENTER][/CENTER]

arsan

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:16 pm

Andrew, i just send you a PM :)

Primasprit

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi Andrew!

It's possible to copy an installed version of any (AGE engine) game to another location. Of course in this case you don't have a Start Menu entry and the uninstaller (it's the one who need the registry entry) won't work.
The error log you sent indicates that apparently not all files were copied properly.

Installing an older version and simply copy the other installation over it might not work however. The reason is that the patch process can remove files which were part of an older version. This does not happen if you copy the installed version over the fresh installation and can cause a problem.

Cheers
Norbert

AndrewKurtz

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:31 pm

Primasprit wrote:Hi Andrew!

It's possible to copy an installed version of any (AGE engine) game to another location. Of course in this case you don't have a Start Menu entry and the uninstaller (it's the one who need the registry entry) won't work.
The error log you sent indicates that apparently not all files were copied properly.

Installing an older version and simply copy the other installation over it might not work however. The reason is that the patch process can remove files which were part of an older version. This does not happen if you copy the installed version over the fresh installation and can cause a problem.

Cheers
Norbert

That was probably it. All is now working perfectly (and fast!) on the new 64-bit Vista OS. Thanks for all the help and advice :thumbsup:

Nikel

Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:23 am

lodilefty wrote:Um, how do I know if I'm running 64 bit Vista?? :confused: :blink: :bonk: :o

Right click in the computer icon on the desktop and select properties

In this window you can see if your OS is 32 or 64 bits

[ATTACH]6143[/ATTACH]

There are two Program Files folders in Windows 64 bits

Program Files for 64 bits applications

Program Files (x86) for the "normal" 32 bits applications, like AGEod games, this is where I have them installed

Ageod games work fine in Vista x64 here, as usual with UAC disabled

Right now a 64bits OS is needed to use more than 3GB of RAM, well you can have more but they will not be recognized by Windows
Attachments
Vista64.jpg

Return to “WIA Technical support / Aide technique”