lodilefty

Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:08 pm

Heldenkaiser wrote:Except it takes two months. Four, if you send the fleet only when he actually shows up in Quebec. Too late for a campaign in 1776.

I just had this great idea in a BoA (1) MP game, seeing how, holding Boston and environs, there really was no need for a move from Canada that violated the principle of strategic concentration without good reason. I do think that under these circumstances the historical plan would never have been devised in the first place, as has been pointed out above. So while I agree that the scope of BoA is the command in North America and the chaps back in London decide where your reinforcements arrive, tough luck, live with it, higher strategic needs, orders and all that .... :bonk: , I also agree that under certain circumstances decisions back in London don't seem to make sense at all. Some variation depending on the actual situation in America would certainly make the game more plausible in this respect. Can't reinforcements be event-based? So that holding or losing certain regions would mean (major) reinforcements go here or there? :innocent:

Yes! The Burgoyne event [or any other] can be contingent on owning a location... say: arrive at Boston if held, otherwise Quebec.... :)
It only takes time to write the events code.
..and approval to do so by 'the owners' [Hok, the Phils, etc.] ;)
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

FM WarB
Colonel

Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:22 pm

As I decide whether to use Aegod's Christmas present, I wonder if portage links have been added and if anything about variable Burgoyne entry has been done.

arsan

Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:06 am

Portage links are included on the last beta patch (not sure if in the last official one too).
Don't know about Burgoyne... :bonk:

lodilefty

Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:03 am

Burgoyne still goes to Canada....

...maybe someday, we'll have a 'player choice' event syntax... :w00t:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

FM WarB
Colonel

Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:10 pm

Which portage links have been added? How and where can the opposing sides build fleets on Lake Champlain? (if they can)

lodilefty

Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:53 pm

FM WarB wrote:Which portage links have been added? How and where can the opposing sides build fleets on Lake Champlain? (if they can)

Portage from Montreal to Lachine Rapids, St. Lawrence to Lake Champlain, Hudson R to Mohawk R, Lake George to Lake Champlain Niagra River [Lk Erie to Lk Ontario], Lk Ponchartrain to Mississippi Bay are "in". Portage are generally 'controlled' by owning a port region that is one terminus of the portage.

We tried to do Oswego to Mohawk and Hudson to Lake George, but some fundamental game mechanics and region design prevents it.

Bateaux and Flotillas can be built in campaigns on Lk Champlain, Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. What type and whicj port depends on campaign design. All are built via expenditure of EP through ledger options.

Additionally, the Corps of Batoemen units can generate bateaux in certain regions if the region also has a depot. [1755 campaign only]

I'll make you a deal: buy the game, and I'll send you a 'Gentleman Johnny' mod that puts him where you want. One time offer, to one location of your choice ;)
[CENTER][/CENTER]

FM WarB
Colonel

Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:33 pm

lodilefty wrote:
I'll make you a deal: buy the game, and I'll send you a 'Gentleman Johnny' mod that puts him where you want. One time offer, to one location of your choice ;)

Six out of eight aint bad.
A tempting offer, Gn'l Greene!
With this slip pf (cyber) paper, If I cant beet Bobby Lee, I'm willing to go home. Lets see what I can get outta the ACW crew. *LoL*

Mr Bill
Corporal

Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:58 am

lodilefty wrote:...maybe someday, we'll have a 'player choice' event syntax... :w00t:

That would be awesome! :eek:

Heck, I might even try to make some mods then. :D That would totally add a new dynamic to the game, and modding possibilities.

Mainly I'd add things I'd like in my own game, and post them in the mods forum if anybody else want them too.

Having choices on the part of the Rebel leadership of course makes more sense, but I'm sure the Brits in command in North America had some chances to choose "A or B" (as it were) during the war as well.

Mr Bill
Corporal

Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:41 am

lodilefty wrote:...maybe someday, we'll have a 'player choice' event syntax... :w00t:

that would be awesome! :thumbsup:

Would really open up all sorts of modding possibilities.

FM WarB
Colonel

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:58 pm

Gentleman Johnny was originally sent to Boston. He argued for his famed scheme when he returned to London. The dunce Germaine bought it after the Brits managed to get themselves pushed out of Beantown.
I dare say with all kind felicitations, e&c, that had Gentleman Johnny remained in Boston, with troops flowing into the port he might have been happy (even if it didnt get him as far away from Howe as Quebec).

lodilefty

Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:50 pm

[CENTER][/CENTER]

Return to “Help to improve WIA”