GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Building Forts not working?

Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:09 pm

I made a test and several times gave orders to construct a fort, but nothing was added to the city. Although supply trains trains were duefully removed ..

And is it right that I cannot construct forts in regions without a city?

Depots are working as expected.

PhilThib

Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:02 am

Fort working should work fine. Did you have the required artillery units too ?

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:00 am

Maybe I did not explain correctly: The game highlights the "build fort" option and I click it. I am then told it will tkae 25 days to construct the fort. Next turn I check and nothing was added.

A supply unit was removed from my stack but I am not sure about artillery.

Anyway, maybe someone else should try.

On the other hand, I will probably never use this option, because artillery is much too precious, and its kind of wasted. Why does the fort not get at least a static fort battery for any used artillery? Is the iron used to make nails?

GShock

Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:15 am

The arty is precious of course, but a fort without arty is not a fort. So the arty is consumed to make the fort defenses and the supply is consumed to make the fort itself. That's proper according to me.

Building a fort is always a costly deal in AACW too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:20 am

But what happens with the artillery? Logic would say it's used as static fort batteries.

PhilThib

Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:03 pm

Logic and code are two separate things :niark: :fleb: :siffle:

Pocus

Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:21 pm

Bad, bad PhilThib :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:46 pm

Careless talk kills credibility, dudes :niark:

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:48 pm

Amidst the hilarity, could someone else confirm if that friggin' fort option is really not working or if I suffer from visual hallucinations?

lodilefty

Fort build works

Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:50 pm

Fort build is working just fine.

British in Boston January 1776.

Supply and Artillery consumed.
Fort icon appears on Boston
Tooltip indicates fort built.
Message log reported fort built.

Note: the fort structure includes an inherent artillery force and supply force. That's where the units went.

Note: AFAIK if a [color="Red"]single stack [/color]tries to build both a fort and a depot in same turn, the requisit units get consumed [2 supply + 1 supply/1 artillery] but only the depot gets built. I believe the stack must stay put to complete the fort next turn. [15 days depot + 25 days fort]
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Forts!?

Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:30 pm

Of course, the artillery is part of the fort from thence forward. No artillery - no fort!! Tag

Pocus

Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:27 am

I think it is possible to improve a bit on fort building, let me think about the feasibility code-wise.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

GShock

Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:40 am

I saw in AACW as CSA that building forts would be a key to defense. The issue comes with the fact that the fortification is built when you build it but, contextually to the disappearing of guns and supply wagons, the fort doesn't come autoequipped with fort batteries.

Which means, if i build a fort in Paducah TN to bomb passing gunboats, i will need at least 5 guns, 4 of which are used up to build the fort. It is an extremely high cost to pay for CSA.

I haven't had real time to play WiA so i don't know yet if forts work differently but i really hope that with building a fort, at least 1 fort battery, able to bomb passing ships, is spawned within. We do spend for the guns, the fort should come equipped with them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We ain't going down!

lodilefty

Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:03 am

GShock wrote:I saw in AACW as CSA that building forts would be a key to defense. The issue comes with the fact that the fortification is built when you build it but, contextually to the disappearing of guns and supply wagons, the fort doesn't come autoequipped with fort batteries.

Which means, if i build a fort in Paducah TN to bomb passing gunboats, i will need at least 5 guns, 4 of which are used up to build the fort. It is an extremely high cost to pay for CSA.

I haven't had real time to play WiA so i don't know yet if forts work differently but i really hope that with building a fort, at least 1 fort battery, able to bomb passing ships, is spawned within. We do spend for the guns, the fort should come equipped with them.

Actually, I was replying to 'logical disappearance of artillery' question. The fort structure file looks like this:

UID = 1
Name = $stc_nam_Fort
Text = $stc_txt_Fort
Bitmap = Fort.png
Z = 2
IsFort = 1
Supply = 10
FillAmmo = 1
NoRazeLevel = 2

MoneyCost = 10
DayCost = 25

[color="Red"]ModelType0 = $Artillery
UnitCost0 = 1
ModelType1 = $SupplyType
UnitCost1 = 1[/color]

RecoverRate = 10
RecovUseLevel = 0
RecovKind = $Land

RplMinLevel = 2
MaxLevel = 2

SupplyProd = 2
AmmoProd = 0
PowerProd = 0
SupplyWant = 20
AmmoWant = 20
PowerWant = 0
MinLevelSend = 10
MinLevelWant = 1

MaxLevel = 2
MinCityLvl = 1

I suppose you do need artillery to bombard a ship, but I would want that limited to naval batteries... [see AACW discussions!]
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:34 pm

Correct me if I'm mstaken but don't you "need" to build a fort to cover New Orleans' rear at Lafayette Sound? There's coastal waters all the way up and around that a Union pbem player could use to by-pass the pre-war forts. Anyways, there's some ideal spots to block that direction, but can you only build "inside" a city? If so, that kind of limits your options.

Return to “Help to improve WIA”