lodilefty

WIA {Public Beta} patch 1.08a Release Candidate 3 = October 25, 2011

Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:37 pm

For your enjoyment:

http://ageoddl.telechargement.fr/temp/patch_WIA_v1.08a_rc3.zip

[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]This patch is cumulative since version 1.00b[/size][/color]

==================================================================================
BOA2 : Wars in America patch 1.08a Public Beta Release Candidate 3
October 25, 2011
==================================================================================
= Fixed rare CTD seen with structures being captured
= Canadian Militia (in French and Indian Wars) now upgrade to Light Infantry (used to upgrade to Troupes de Marine)

[RC2]
= Introduced “Turn 0” options to 1775 and 1776 Campaign.
= Added Models and Units and Graphics for new King Phillip's War Scenario
= All Dragoons, Rangers, Partisans, Mountaineers, Backwoods Riflemen, Couriers and Indians now have the *NoCapture* Attribute, and thus can only capture Ports, Depots and Native Villages by themselves.
= Depot build bug fixed. Depots can be “built up” with Supply or Transport Ships/Bateaux to the level defined in 2Depot.str (where MaxLevel = 3)
= Pillagers (Model Attribute = *Pillage*) now properly raze Settlements and Stockades. These units will now display the Pillager Ability icon.
= Ships not getting replacements: bug fixed.
= “Tidied up” the Element Detail window
= Weather "Coastal" bug fixed {Thank you, berto}
= Weather adjustments made in some areas. Generally reduced severe weather in Southern Areas.
= Weather in Regions now described as either Clear, Rain, Cold, Frozen or Very Cold (old descriptions carried connotations that it was a 30 day Blizzard!)
= Game Engine updated to latest AGE
= New AI parameter: aiCTM_ThreatValInFow in AI.opt to help regulate AI agressivness

[RC1]
= New parameters in settings to regulate Automatic Experience gain: “Excessive Experience Bug” fixed.
= Ammo non-consumption bug fixed.
= "Scrambled" Battle Reports bug fixed.
= There is now a stack (group) name memory. Basically when the scenario setup is created the current name is also stored. This has been done (and is very often useful) so that the name of a stack doesn't change as soon as you move a unit out of it, or the reverse. A stack will assume a new name by merging the stack into another unit or stack.
= An insidious bug with the "NotEnemy" script parameter is fixed. (This was part of the issue with the "Hortelez Supply" arriving in Enemy Ports.)
= Cavalry won't switch posture when crossing a river, even if 100% hostile MC on other side
= Bug Fixed where sometimes a replacement was used from a wrong faction tag to replace an element in an unit
Script (event, scenario start) changes
= 75/76 Campaigns: Revised logic for various unit and group arrivals to prevent arrival in an enemy-occupied region (Continental Marines, Hortelez, etc etc)
= 75 Campaign: Continental Marines arrive unfixed now
= 59 Annus Mirablis COL variant: minor adjustment to event dates for Canada Reinforcements so they appear in the short scenario as they do in Campaign.
= Added 1689 King William's War Scenario (Thank you Hobbes) {Text is in English only - translations needed}
= Added 1763 Pontiac's War Scenario (Thank you Hobbes) {Text is in English only - translations needed}
= Added more Leader Biographies, which can be viewed by hovering the mouse pointer over the large portait in the Element popup display window (thank you Stephane Parrin, Stewart King, Paul Roberts) {More translations needed}
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

lodilefty

Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:05 pm

Ready now! :)
October 25, 2011 at 14:20 UTC
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

KG Erwin
Lieutenant

Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:21 pm

Thanks, Lodilefty. I'll start a new "Crucible of War" campaign (as I call the FIW Colonial version) when I get home from the office today. :)

lodilefty

Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:40 pm

KG Erwin wrote:Thanks, Lodilefty. I'll start a new "Crucible of War" campaign (as I call the FIW Colonial version) when I get home from the office today. :)

Thank you for being so patient! :thumbsup: :coeurs:
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Narwhal

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:33 pm

What baffles me is that you are, from what I understand, an unpaid voluunteers. I know I would want some hard cash for the job you are doing, which brings few "Thank you" and a lot of complains. I hope you are at least retired. Thank you so much.

Hobbes

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:49 pm

:thumbsup: Thanks Lodi - testing tomorrow!

marechalCAMBRONNE
Lieutenant

Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:02 pm

WOw! MERCI!

I will try it as soon as I finish my pbem game !

lodilefty

Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:47 pm

Narwhal wrote:What baffles me is that you are, from what I understand, an unpaid voluunteers. I know I would want some hard cash for the job you are doing, which brings few "Thank you" and a lot of complains. I hope you are at least retired. Thank you so much.

You are very welcome. :)

I am retired, and this is my hobby. :w00t:
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Hobbes

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:01 pm

Hi Lodi, after a quick test all seems fine and dandy! (apart from one minor thing of course).

The new KWW Puritan unit at Salem lacks its model text - but I can't spot where the problem is can you? All seems present and correct to me - must have worked too hard today.

Cheers, Chris
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg

lodilefty

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:00 pm

Hobbes wrote:Hi Lodi, after a quick test all seems fine and dandy! (apart from one minor thing of course).

The new KWW Puritan unit at Salem lacks its model text - but I can't spot where the problem is can you? All seems present and correct to me - must have worked too hard today.

Cheers, Chris

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Some are OK, some not.... Plymouth is OK, for instance

The Plymouth unit has 1 element, the others with the bug have 2

... my copy of 1689 Setup is dated 9/19....

I suspect something in the Setup got glitched, so a recompile might be needed....

..if still that way, try NULL in Param0 for the two bugged units, as entering 2 is redundant.....

..I'm really grasping at straws here :bonk:

[CENTER][/CENTER]

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:07 pm

It's a bit late in the game for the peanut gallery to be making suggestions, but when I saw this last screenshot two things came to mind.

First, would it be possible to replace the Union flag in the earlier scenarios with a white flag and a red cross of St. George? The general use of the Union flag looks a bit too modern (even though it was supposed to be used on certain ships as early as King James).

Second, I'm a huge fan of stovepipe hats, but was wondering if, in the example shown, the vertical part of the hat shouldn't be moved a pixel or two to the left? This is the kind of thing that only the modder of the image can make a call on -- I'm only suggesting a second look.

And finally, as I've mentioned before, I really hope the new 17th century images will get to show up in all of the 17th century scenarios, not just the one for King Phillips' War.

There are some great Thanksgiving-themed murals by Wyeth in the lobby of the old Met Life building at 23rd and Madison in New York City, but I haven't been able to find pictures of them. Because of an arrangement with the City, if you approach the security desk in the lobby and tell them you want to see the murals, they have to let you through to look at them. A really hardcore piece of Americana, and the exhibits describing how Wyeth painted the murals are fascinating as well.

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:15 pm

I've just discovered that you can see a few of the murals if you do a google image search using the words "Wyeth's Pilgrims". And apparently there's a children's book that uses the murals as illustrations.

Hobbes

Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:27 am

Lodi, I will have a play around tonight if able - PC is on the blink again.

There will not be any more graphics changes for KWW in this patch - but I may do something for King Philip's War.
The Union flag is probably beyond my abilities to mod though. I have thought about doing this before - but also noticed a very similar flag was in use.

Cheers, Chris

Pocus

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:59 am

The hat gives a lot of flavour to the settlers!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

lodilefty

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:23 pm

Hobbes wrote:Lodi, I will have a play around tonight if able - PC is on the blink again.

There will not be any more graphics changes for KWW in this patch - but I may do something for King Philip's War.
The Union flag is probably beyond my abilities to mod though. I have thought about doing this before - but also noticed a very similar flag was in use.

Cheers, Chris

Fixed! :D
No idea why, I simply exported a new script and compiled! :blink:

Extract attached into your WIA\Scens folder. 1 file overwritten.
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Hobbes

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:24 pm

Genius! :thumbsup:

Thanks Lodi

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:11 pm

Three of the four flags from the flag folder were easy to make (two PNG files and a bitmap). The big one that appears in the upper left corner of the screen is a bit more involved and probably not worth the effort (unless you happen to have the fabric template that was used -- then it's just a matter of layering the red part of regular english flag over a white field).

I can post them to you here but someone will have to explain how to attach files directly onto a post. If you put them in your game they will overwrite the regular files, so they would need to appear either by file-switching or an edit of the game instructions (and I don't know enough about the inner workings of the game to know what needs rewriting).

lodilefty

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Philippe wrote:Three of the four flags from the flag folder were easy to make (two PNG files and a bitmap). The big one that appears in the upper left corner of the screen is a bit more involved and probably not worth the effort (unless you happen to have the fabric template that was used -- then it's just a matter of layering the red part of regular english flag over a white field).

I can post them to you here but someone will have to explain how to attach files directly onto a post. If you put them in your game they will overwrite the regular files, so they would need to appear either by file-switching or an edit of the game instructions (and I don't know enough about the inner workings of the game to know what needs rewriting).

Put the files into a zip file, (remember where tyou put it ;) )then do a "reply" message.
Then, while still in reply entry mode:
  1. Scroll down below the text window, to see a box marked "Manage Attachments"
  2. Click on that.
  3. Click on one of the "Browse" buttons
  4. Find the zip you made, click on it and then "OK"
  5. Click on "Upload files"
  6. When it shows the file as uploaded, close the Attachment Management window.
  7. Complete your reply to message as usual.

We may be able to do something other than overwrite to use these (no promises though) :)
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Hobbes

Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:53 pm

Yes it was really the big flag that was the problem. I thought just changing the smaller flags would look a little incongruous - to have 2 different flags in the scenario.

Cheers, Chris

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:11 pm

I haven't tested this ingame, so let me know if anything looks odd.

The zipped folder has the three flags as well as my attempt at the corner flag.

If the border where the flag meets the background is too dark, I can probably make another version with a cleaner edge.

Note: Transparency now working in version 2. The flag in the upper left-hand corner should be a reasonable facsimile of what it would have looked like if it had been part of the original design, though the folds in the flag come from a different template and are less pronounced.
Attachments
Cross of St George version 2.zip
(57.5 KiB) Downloaded 198 times

Daniel_Morgan
Corporal

Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:52 pm

So is the consensus that this is a fairly stable beta patch?
"I intend to make Georgia howl". -William Tecumseh Sherman

Durk

Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:49 am

Daniel_Morgan wrote:So is the consensus that this is a fairly stable beta patch?

I do not know if this is a consensus, but in two games for five turns, no problems, and lots of happy results, like reinforcements entering in areas controlled by their side, ammo consumption, build depots beyond level one and etc.

Daniel_Morgan
Corporal

Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:08 am

Durk wrote:I do not know if this is a consensus, but in two games for five turns, no problems, and lots of happy results, like reinforcements entering in areas controlled by their side, ammo consumption, build depots beyond level one and etc.

Thats good news :)
"I intend to make Georgia howl". -William Tecumseh Sherman

lodilefty

Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:01 pm

If we can go a few more days without "gamestoppers", then this will become official.... ,,,say Monday or Tuesday? :w00t:

...and as dev time is hard to come by (as in: none:blink :) , future patches may well be "database only" as we (coordinators, modders) can do that without the "core" developers spending any time.... :D
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:53 pm

Not used to working with PNG files, but it's amazing what you can relearn by accident if you start poking around in Photoshop.

Version 2 is a bit cleaner than the first one I posted and the transparency should work.

If you just copy it in to your flag folder it will overwrite what's already there, which isn't a good thing if you play a French and Indian or War of Independance scenario.
Attachments
Cross of St George version 2.zip
(57.5 KiB) Downloaded 222 times

Hobbes

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:03 pm

That's great Philippe! :thumbsup:

Cheers, Chris

Hobbes

Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:56 pm

Tested a bit more - all seems well apart from the tendency for 3* leaders to join small raiding parties while 1* leaders command the main force with a penalty.

Cheers, Chris

lodilefty

Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:30 pm

Hobbes wrote:Tested a bit more - all seems well apart from the tendency for 3* leaders to join small raiding parties while 1* leaders command the main force with a penalty.

Cheers, Chris

AFAIK, we should try to tinker with some of the Leader Preference settings.

See AI.opt, then decide what we need:
1. Create a leader type to reduce desire to command raiders.
2. Assign the type to all/most 2* and 3* leaders
[CENTER][/CENTER]

lodilefty

Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:27 pm

lodilefty wrote:AFAIK, we should try to tinker with some of the Leader Preference settings.

See AI.opt, then decide what we need:
1. Create a leader type to reduce desire to command raiders.
2. Assign the type to all/most 2* and 3* leaders

I think if we add $famRaider|0 in the AI.opt to all except Raider and Cavalry, then be sure all 3* models have one of the "no raider" types, we should (if all is WAD) see an improvement.....

I'll tinker tomorrow and upload something for trials... :D
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Hobbes

Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:55 pm

Thanks Lodi!

Return to “Help to improve WIA”