paw1776
Captain

1st Rgt of Foot & 1st Royal Rgt of Foot

Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:10 pm

Hello,

1755 Campaign

No big deal, but I just got 1st Royal Rgt of Foot (Correct name) with Wolfe.

But, earlier in the game I received 1st Rgt of Foot (Incorrect).

I still have them if you want a screen shot.

I would prefer if they are really the same unit, to be done as highlanders:

1st Royal Rgt of Foot, I (Fix from 1st Rgt of Foot)
1st Royal Rgt of Foot, II (Wolfe)

If they are not the same, then 1st Rgt of Foot should be renamed when it arrives to something else.

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:50 pm

I too received a 1st Foot and 2nd Foot in my FIW campaign. My guess is that these are generic names created for units that are "bought" as reinforcements by spending engagement points (or whatever that currency is called, I don't have the game open). I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3rd and 4th Foot next. :)

Now providing my guess is right, I suppose it would be better to have a list of actual historical regiments at the time that did not serve in North America historically, but could have been sent there, theoretically.

If that's not possible, then I suppose historicity (that a word?) would still be better served by giving those reinforcement regiments high numbers (way beyond the 100th), like regiments newly raised would have received. :)
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

lodilefty

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:54 pm

excellent ideas !! :thumbsup:

We'll add it to "the list" :)
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Nikel

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:57 pm

Some information on the british regiments present in America in 1755-1763 and 1775-1783 is here

http://www.fifedrum.org/crfd/BD_1.htm

paw1776
Captain

Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:05 pm

paw1776
Captain

Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:11 pm

Seeing how we have a French and/or French Canadian and/or Canadian influence in this game design, I assume the French are perfect... :w00t:

I would love some links on those units, even if in French.

TiFlo
Captain

Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:48 pm

As far as I know, French regiments didn't have nicknames. They were named either after the region they were raised in ("Berry", "Languedoc", "Guyenne"...) or after their owner ("La Reine"). "Royal Roussillon" would then mean that regiment was that of the Roussillon region, and was property of the king of France.

You can find a list of the units from the Troupes de terre regiments (regulars) that served in North America during the Seven Years War here. This website also has a comprehensive listing of all the French army units of the 18th century (regular infantry regiments are found on this page). No history of the units on both sites, as they are about uniformology. I have tens of bookmarked links, I'll go through them to see if I can find something else.

EDIT: You may also find information there (Canadian military history gateway) but you'll have to dig a bit, as my browsers (IE & Firefox) seem to have problems handling it. And I just stumbled upon that page. It's a brief presentation of the French army of the 17th and 18th centuries, that happens to be the work of one of my former thesis directors! It's very straight forward and doesn't give anything that we don't know already, but the organisation part is quite interesting.
[CENTER]« Quel pays ! Quels hommes ! Quelle guerre ! Non, ma chère maman, votre enfant n'est pas fait pour habiter cette contrée barbare. »
[/CENTER]
[CENTER] Louis-Antoine de Bougainville, 1758
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[CENTER][color=DarkGreen]WIA 1.05 Patch[/color]
[/CENTER]

paw1776
Captain

Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:26 am

Thanks mate!

TiFlo
Captain

Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:54 pm

You're welcome :)
[CENTER]« Quel pays ! Quels hommes ! Quelle guerre ! Non, ma chère maman, votre enfant n'est pas fait pour habiter cette contrée barbare. »
[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

TiFlo
Captain

Tue May 05, 2009 2:32 pm

More on Louis XV's French army there. Hosts a wealth of information, very detailed, especially for the regiments history, and in English (the site has all the major armies of the SYW listed). I haven't had time to go through all of it, but so far it looks great.

I stole the link from that posted by Nikel in his SYW Uniforms Links thread at the RoP forum. Thank you Nikel! :thumbsup: :love:
[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Return to “Help to improve WIA”