tyrex
Colonel

Thu May 15, 2008 6:51 am

teufel0331 wrote:In 1798, France was caught up in the War of the Second Coalition. Napoleon had assembled a powerful army of 30,000 in Marseilles, ready to sail for Egypt with a powerful fleet in support. If war had broken out with the Americans, perhaps he would have been sent against another target: maybe the fledgling U.S. and their British/Canadian allies? But could the French have gotten such a force across the Atlantic? I think that's the set-up, along with some island-hopping in the Caribbean, the Spanish in Florida and some Indian intrigue along the Mississippi/Great Lakes.

France manages to sent this troops across the Mediterrean Sea without being intercept in spite of the narowness of this sea. Interception are really easier to make there than in Atlantic.
You said Marseilles. It's seem to me that Toulon is much more correct. The great french naval base in Mediterrean is located there.
And a french fleet manages to do the trip across the Atlantic once during Napoleon Wars. In 1805, it started from Toulon, crossed the Gibraltar Strait unopposed and reached the Carribean Isles without meeting the Navy. And the fleet commander Amiral de Villeneuve wasn't considered a great sailor (its abysmal performance thereafter is a bad testimony of it)

So I guess a French military intervention during the Quasi-War isn't at all utopical had the war gone hot

teufel0331
Sergeant

toulon indeed

Thu May 15, 2008 3:07 pm

yeah tyrex -- yr right. a fleet left toulon w/ boney and 40,000 french, bound for egypt. the 118-gun Orient led the cavalcade. the battle shouldn't've been so lopsided -- the french had a slight advantage numerically. but the brits had nelson! however, check this out as far as how easily the french fleet might've been diverted to the atlantic:

[INDENT]Previously, Napoleon spread misinformation about a planned invasion of Ireland, where the French Mediterranean fleet would meet up with the fleet to the north before the battle starts. This tricked the British navy into guarding the western Mediterranean Sea, and allowed Napoleon to support his Egypt expedition with no conflicts.[/INDENT]

of course, why couldn't they just spread misinfo about a planned invasion of Malta/Egypt? the French flagship, Orient, was the largest type of ship built up to then, an Ocean-class battleship, the most powerful ships of the Napoleonic era. after the Battle of Trafalgar, Sir Horatio Nelson was put in a coffin carved from a piece of her main mast.

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Sat May 17, 2008 10:26 am

We need updates, ageod. I keep on checking here regularly month after month, and so do many others, but now the forum is down to almost one post per day. I am not trying to push the relase but not long ago it was said you were going to release in May and now it's May we have yet to see any screenshots. Regards.

Pocus

Sat May 17, 2008 10:50 am

The release date has been pushed by some weeks, but this is for the best, more scenarios, better game balance, some new features!

Hok, the project manager of BOA2 will soon post regularly updates and screens, it is now only a matter of days, stay tuned!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

StatboyVT
Sergeant

Sat May 17, 2008 4:35 pm

Thank you Pocus, very much looking forward to it!

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Sun May 18, 2008 12:21 pm

Pocus wrote:Hok, the project manager of BOA2 will soon post regularly updates and screens, it is now only a matter of days, stay tuned!

Magnifique!!

Please understand that I have played so many games that I absolutely need to see screens before I can make up my mind, because they convey 1000 times more about interface, gameplay, talent etc than words.

Hok
General

Mon May 19, 2008 2:17 pm

As Pocus say we pushed the release date !

The official release date is July 4th ! :innocent:

I'll give you some screenshots and information during May and June, i hope you will enjoy them !

tyrex
Colonel

Mon May 19, 2008 3:43 pm

I hope it won't be postponned another time :siffle:

Hok
General

Mon May 19, 2008 3:50 pm

tyrex wrote:I hope it won't be postponned another time :siffle:

Don't worry Tyrex !

StatboyVT
Sergeant

Mon May 19, 2008 5:16 pm

Hok wrote:The official release date is July 4th ! :innocent:

Now I'll have to push my vacation back a week. Thanks a lot! :bonk:

Pilgrim
Civilian

Tue May 20, 2008 1:52 pm

July 4th? July 4th? Hmmm let’s see, why does that date look special? :siffle:

Very much looking forward to it!

Lee
Private

Tue May 20, 2008 5:10 pm

JUly 4th? July 4th!!!! Sweet God - this is my wedding day!! :coeurs: . I hope - so great company like AGEOD will send me one little copy of BoA2 as a gift :siffle:

Flop
Major

Wed May 28, 2008 2:02 am

Hok wrote:The official release date is July 4th ! :innocent:

Well, that's a fitting date for me to crush those pesky rebels under my British boot heel! Muahahahaha!

Seriously, I'm really looking forwards to this. I loved AACW, but have been holding off on BOA, since I didn't want a "downgraded" system compared to that in AACW. I'll be getting this as soon as it comes out.

Now, where are the screenshots and info? :siffle: Edit: Oh, found them. :)

BillyJack2008
Conscript

Thu May 29, 2008 12:09 am

Wow!

This game looks great!

I guess the only question I have (really the only complaint I had about the first BOA) is the representation of men.

Will there be actual numbers of men, like there is in ACW? Or will it be listed as only elements again?

I can't wait for this game to come out!

Thanks!

BillyJack

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”