spektacles
Civilian

Anyone still playing this? If so, questions.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:12 am

French and Indian War:

So...I recently loaded this up after a few years sitting in the "shelf." I patched it, and it seems to have made this campaign harder (starting from 1755). I never really had problems in the South before, and now I'm getting raided like crazy. How do I counter this? The only way I can think of doing this is pulling units from the northern theater.

Also, my morale is horrible. I've actually taken a bunch of strategic towns but I'm still losing. What am I missing? Is it from all the raids in the South?

Also, any general tips for this campaign would be great. Thanks.

Durk

Re: Anyone still playing this? If so, questions.

Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:42 pm

Hi spektacles and welcome,

The patches do not so much make the scenarios harder as different, but different does mean some new challenges.

I assume you are playing against AI, so I may not have a full answer for you; but, the Indian factions are much stronger and more active. However, a few well lead forces can chase them down as they are not too strong.

Morale is almost always tied to winning battles and avoiding losses, so my guess is you need to limit the danger into which you put your troops.

France is stronger because leadership rules have tightened who can control whom. But a key move in this game is taking and holding the Mohawk Valley as then the native American troops will side with Britain.

spektacles
Civilian

Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:51 pm

Thank you, very helpful. will probably start a new game soon since there is no hope for me in 1762.

spektacles
Civilian

Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:26 am

Thanks for the reply. Very helpful.

Hobbes

Tue May 11, 2021 8:47 pm

Hi chaps, I just thought I would load up BoA2 again to give the F&IW scenario another try as I didn't get very far with it back in the day. The link to the patch in the forum is broken and if I click on the patch link in the Latest Patches thread I get the folowing link ftp://ftp.ageod.com/pub/BOA/BOA_Patch.zip

This link opens in Chrome but the rest of the page is blank and nothing happens.

Do I need some special software to download a patch? I tried FileZilla but got nowhere.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,
Chris

Durk

Tue May 11, 2021 11:03 pm

If you have a Matrix/Slitherine account you can access the patch on the "My Page" download section.
If that does not work for you pm me.
Oh, you would need to register your game if you have not.

Nikel

Wed May 12, 2021 11:52 am

The last patch link in Ageod FTP.

http://ftp.ageod.com/pub/WIA/Patch_WIA_v1.10e.zip

And there was a QF2 to be installed after the patch.

viewtopic.php?f=190&t=26945

Hobbes

Wed May 12, 2021 3:54 pm

Thanks very much chaps. All up and running now + with Pangi's graphics mod installed. I'm looking forward to finally playing the full F&IW. Glad to see you are both still around!

Cheers,
Chris

Hobbes

Wed May 12, 2021 4:08 pm

Do either of you (or anyone) have the King Philip's War scenario? The link for that is also now broken. I might be able to find it somewhere, but It might be difficult to work out if I have found the final version.

Cheers,
Chris

squarian
Brigadier General

Wed May 12, 2021 6:16 pm

I'm still around - and in fact, looking for an opponent for a 1775 or '76 campaign. PM me if you're interested!

Nikel

Wed May 12, 2021 6:17 pm

It is still available in thread you created, or was there another version?

viewtopic.php?f=197&t=25316

Hobbes

Wed May 12, 2021 6:40 pm

If I click on that I just get:

Not Found

The requested URL /showthread.php was not found on this server.
Apache/2.4.10 (Debian) Server at www.ageod-forum.com Port 80

Cheers,
Chris

Hobbes

Wed May 12, 2021 6:46 pm

squarian wrote:I'm still around - and in fact, looking for an opponent for a 1775 or '76 campaign. PM me if you're interested!

Thanks for the offer. I have thought thought about a PBEM game at some point but I'm getting very old and slow now. I'll probably need months to get through the F&IW vs AI if I ever finish it. I would like to think at some point I could play WiA PBEM again.

Cheers,
Chris

Nikel

Wed May 12, 2021 6:52 pm

It works here. Must be your configuration.

The direct links to the files you uploaded are these:

download/file.php?id=20394

download/file.php?id=19706

Or zipped both and here is a link:

https://easyupload.io/trhxv6

Hobbes

Wed May 12, 2021 6:59 pm

Thanks again Nikel. I probably kept it somewhere safe 10 years ago but I now forget where. I'll keep it safe again!

Cheers,
Chris

Nikel

Wed May 12, 2021 7:00 pm

Well, they are safe here in the forum ;)

Hobbes

Wed May 12, 2021 7:37 pm

Very pleased that it isn't lost. :coeurs:

Ebbingford

Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:16 pm

Hobbes wrote:Thanks very much chaps. All up and running now + with Pangi's graphics mod installed. I'm looking forward to finally playing the full F&IW. Glad to see you are both still around!

Cheers,
Chris

It looks like the old guard have all gone back to playing this classic. :cool:
FIW was always my favourite scenario in what is in my opion the best Ageod game :thumbsup:
I am at present slowly playing through all main campaigns as the British against the AI. Just finishing off AWI, then onto 1812. Will then start the campaigns from the other side.
Having fun again playing at my own pace in my own time (Do I sound old?) at an Ageod masterpiece :thumbsup:

Hobbes

Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:48 pm

Hi Ebb, you have been playing this game for a long time! The French and Indian War has always been my favourite period. It has a feel of a boy's own adventure with such varied and beautiful terrain and so many different unit types (but no doubt an awful conflict for the people involved at the time). When I made the Pontiac War scenario I really wanted to make the F&IW but it had already been done. I started a F&IW PBEM when WIAII first came out against Eugene but there were so many bugs we gave up. We then played the main Revolutionary War scenario which I think worked quite well. Then 1812 which we didn't enjoy so much as it seemed very one sided. Now I'm back and enjoying the F&IW and so far it seems great - just got into 1756 without seeing any of the problems we had back in 2008. Amazing it was that long ago!

Cheers,
Chris

lodilefty

Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:00 pm

My how time flies!
Working on WIA was what got me "in" helping Phil and Phil build games!

I'm still "helping" although sometimes it's two steps forward, one step back. :blink:

Currently I'm helping over at SGS with PhilT..... :pouet:

...and still doing Admin here1 :niark: :tournepas

squarian
Brigadier General

Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:57 pm

I've just concluded a 1776 campaign with a personage well know in these precincts (and alas, my muddling led the British Empire to an early capitulation). We've now switched sides for another match.

I'm not surprised WIA is still being played, frankly. I think it is the most elegant, if not the most elaborate, of AGEOD's games.

Pocus

Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:42 am

Good old times! :)

Hobbes

Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:05 pm

They were very good times forum wise with so many lovely interesting people (and many of you are still here). BoAII along with ACWII are my favourite games. I'm really glad to be able to finally play the F&IW. I would love a PBEM sometime but as I said to squarian it takes me a long time now. I think I'm better off playing quick games PBEM these days. I have been playing Bill (Strategic Command) for the past few years at Pike and Shot and more recently FoG Medieval. He is a great opponent but I wish I could beat him a little more frequently!

Cheers,
Chris

Basil
Civilian

Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:26 pm

Yes I'm playing. I just found this game. I love the time period and am learning by playing the F&I war campaign.

Hobbes

Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:42 pm

I'm enjoying the F&I war scenario but it is a bit frustrating how commanders are relieved at the historical time when in the game they have performed well. The new commander can be miles away which is very frustrating if one is about to launch an attack. It makes planning difficult. But a problem with the scenario design rather than the game itself.

Maybe if a leader has a seniority increase for example, he shouln't be replaced (but then you might end up with a poor leader rather than a better replacement).

The scenario is certainly far better than when I first attempted to play it many moons ago.

Cheers,
Chris

Hobbes

Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:39 pm

I'm now in Spring 1758 and a large number of troops have just arrived in Halifax and I'm told they are for the attack on Louisbourg. I have already mustered a huge number of troops there for the assault. Now I have too many!
I don't like this sort of scripting in games as it makes you feel that you are forced down the historical path which is not what playing wargames should be about.

At least if a scenario goes down this path there should be some info event a few months earlier that lets the player know that they are likely to get reinforcements in a certain area. It shouln't be a complete surprise.

Durk

Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:43 pm

Good points. The 1775 and 1776 scenarios were modified so the British and French reinforcements have more flexibility in where they arrive.
I think the F&IW scenario may not have had this change as it is really a one time event and the player usually needs the help, and it was not nearly so popular to play.

Promotions may be more difficult to manage a simple change. So many of the appointments were political, on both sides. The British in particular attempted to keep their 'best' commanders out from under the senior staff.
I wonder if the design crew had this in mind in mandated leader replacement; if not, then it is amazing that the difficulties of 'hard activation'' were understood by George II's advisors.

Hobbes

Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:03 pm

Hi Durk, it did seem that the Revolutionary War scenario had a bit more love back in the day as I played it PBEM at the time without too many problems but we had to give up on the F&I War as there were so many errors. It does seem far better now.

What do you mean by hard activation?

Thanks,
Chris

Hobbes

Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:15 pm

Reading your reply again I'm getting confused. Are you referring to the game's activation rule? (I'm getting rusty).
And what do you mean by keeping the best commanders out from under the senior staff? Out in what way? To keep them on the battlefield?

Cheers,
Chris

Durk

Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:59 pm

By hard activation I meant the activation which causes leaders to be locked. So yes, the activation settings.

Off the top of my head I will be vague as to general's names., except for the third general Howe, the brother of the two we know from the American Revolution, who was killed in the French and Indian War. He was a king's favorite so was given a decent rank equal to expectations.
But the decent leaders who succeeded Howe were lessor known. So they commanded separate operations from the areas of the senior commanders. Thus, the Louisbourg expedition was 'independent.' That kind of placement of commanders so they did not quite fall under the senior leader's sphere of operations.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”