Zaratoughda
Conscript

Raiding

Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:35 pm

I can't figure out how to set units to raid. There doesn't seem to be a particular command for this and the special orders that raiders use listed in the manual don't seem to match up with the special orders on the display.

Please let me know what I am missing on this.

Thanks

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: Raiding

Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:21 pm

its a while since I played the scenarios where this was a major feature.

But if I recall, you don't order it as such. It just means that if units with that trait (mostly Indians) take a structure they will try to burn it down. There is a limit to what can be damaged - cities over a certain size can be destroyed etc.

I maybe making this up, but I also think that units with the raiding trait are more likely to plunder a region if there is a battle there.

So in the French and Indian wars scenario, over time both sides will lose settlements etc, especially south of the Lakes, as their various Indian factions capture and lose regions.
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Zaratoughda
Conscript

Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:57 pm

I did some more reading on this.... 'Raiding' is in the manual... and it appears this is just a matter of moving your troops through enemy territory... with some special commands and forces.

* If you give your forces the evade order they will destroy enemy supplies rather than taking what they need and leaving the rest intact.

* If you start the turn in an area with an L1 enemy depot... you can destroy it by using the special command for this.

* Indian and other forces with the 'pillage' attribute.... will immediately destroy supplies and depots.

However... in the 'Punish Ye The Heathen' scenario.... as the British the Indians oftentimes take Hartford and burn it to the ground.... but Hartford is not a depot... but a 'settlement'... and on the other hand, I can take Misistuck (a 'Natives Village') with my Indians and they just move inside after they take it.

So, I guess it is not completely explained and you have to learn from trial and error.

Durk

Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:06 am

What you say at the end is one of the delights from these games, sometimes you just have to learn.

One thing which really surprised me as I was first learning to play AGEOD games was that when I had a different kind of success I would be presented with different options. The same thing is true with use of units and battle tactics. Once you learn something, it may apply only in the circumstances you have created for that event. A different time, a different season an different leader, everything changes.

Raiding is kind of tricky because you have to decide your desired outcome and the capacity and temperament of the forces you employ. You are getting it. Incidentally, leaders can change the calculus you explain.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”