CatoTheYounger
Sergeant

Forts Lee and Washington?

Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:53 am

I noticed when playing the American Revolution "whites of their eyes" as the British side, sometime in 1776 two forts for the Americans pop up at Westpoint and directly across the Hudson at Fishkill in the Peeksill region. Is this an event? I ask because I have seen this several times. Yet when playing the American side, I have never seen such a fort building event offered or appearing. These locations seem to represent where the Americans had Forts in NY, so I assumed it was simulating Forts Lee and Washington.

Durk

Re: Forts Lee and Washington?

Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:16 am

I typically do not play against AI, but I am learning that BOA2/WIA has an exceptional Athena as an opponent.

When playing against a Colonial AI, it will build these forts. This should be a strong clue to those playing as the Colonial side to build these forts. It is not an event, ever. It is the 'live' player building these forts which mirrors AI play.

Placing these forts is very helpful in holding the upper Hudson river. You should normally have resources to do so.

CatoTheYounger
Sergeant

Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:02 am

Yes Athena is very good. I paly on the hardest AI setting with hard activation. It is a struggle for survival for the Americans. When playing as the British, Athena is effective at attacking my post I leave to control areas. Nicely simulated. Not sure how Athena knows it needs to build forts at Lee and Washington. But it does often. Game doesn't get old for me.

CatoTheYounger
Sergeant

Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:03 am

Yes Athena is very good. I paly on the hardest AI setting with hard activation. It is a struggle for survival for the Americans. When playing as the British, Athena is effective at attacking my post I leave to control areas. Nicely simulated. Not sure how Athena knows it needs to build forts at Lee and Washington. But it does often. Game doesn't get old for me. :hat:

Durk

Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:25 am

Build the fort. Hope this is helpful.
AI, nice challenge.

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:40 pm

I haven't played this in a few years, so I don't remember exactly where the game puts these two forts. I hope they're in the right place.

They should essentially flank the George Washington bridge that will be built in a different century. The Hudson is about a mile wide at this point, so to control it you would need emplaced cannon on both banks.

Fort Washington was located in what is now Fort Tryon Park and has spectacular views of the cliffs and the Hudson river. You have to walk through it if you're visiting the Cloisters by subway, and two of its more charming features are a floral garden and an extended family of groundhogs who come out to munch on clover in the afternoon sun.

Fort Lee sits on the New Jersey side of the George Washington bridge. Fort Lee boasts one of the largest Korean populations on the East Coast and is the site of a huge Asian shopping mall (Yaohan plaza), an essential source of foodstuffs if you aren't lucky enough to live within walking distance of Chinatown. It recently rose to national prominence as the scene of New Jersey governor Christie's Bridgegate scandal.
Last edited by Philippe on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Durk

Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:07 am

Philippe - Your are so right with regard to the modern day. I love the walk through the park to the fort and the Cloisters.

In game terms, these forts are placed correctly. The Colonial Congress has its first opportunity to stop British control of the Hudson with these forts. More cautious American play would put the forts further up the river at West Point.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”