BWise
Conscript

List of Questions

Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:53 am

I started playing this game last summer and since then I played each of the scenarios that are less than 20 turns and gathered a list of questions. After reading most of the manual and playing most of the King Williams War scenario I decided to come here with the questions that I could not find clear answers to.

I think I understand this but I just want to check. The Available Reinforcements tab is just there to show you what is coming next turn right? You don't have to click a button or anything to summon the reinforcements, they just appear on the map somewhere?

What does it mean when you click a stack and one or all (I've seen both) adjacent provinces become colored red?

I was wondering why units become locked on certain turns and I found in the manual that it is related to the general's strategic rating. Is there a way to figure out based on the strategic rating whether the units are going to be locked next turn?

How does the Police stat affect how quickly a province becomes occupied? Do certain provinces require more police points than others?

National Morale is something I never paid much attention to until I read the manual and found its connection to supplies and cohesion. But it also seems like something that cannot be controled. Can anything be done to help keep the national morale higher?

What exactly is the penalty toward for having command points in excess of the leader capacity? What is the red 10% value referring to when this happens?

If only level one depots and forts may be desroyed, is there a way to build these structures past level one? Or is this status reserved for specific structures according to the scenario?

When it says that my units besieging have "achieved nothing this month" is there a way to find out their progress to determine how close the siege is to success?

One of the military options, "Issue a Scalp Bounty", says "Offer rewards for prisoners and ships". What exactly does this mean in terms of the game?

I'll probably bring more questions later. Thanks for reading!

Durk

Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:16 am

Question by question reply -

The Available Reinforcements tab is just there to show you what is coming next turn right? You don't have to click a button or anything to summon the reinforcements, they just appear on the map somewhere?

You use your EP points and select by clicking on the desired unit. If you have enough EP the unit appears the next turn.

What does it mean when you click a stack and one or all (I've seen both) adjacent provinces become colored red?

This is a Zone of Control issue. It means your forces may not move into this area as the opposing forces are too strong to allow you to do so.

I was wondering why units become locked on certain turns and I found in the manual that it is related to the general's strategic rating. Is there a way to figure out based on the strategic rating whether the units are going to be locked next turn?

There is a setting in the 'options' panel where you can choose the activation rules. You are currently using the far right option which means the leader's strategic rating is less than a random roll. There is not way to predict as this is a turn to turn event. However, units which are not locked have less of a chance to become locked.

How does the Police stat affect how quickly a province becomes occupied? Do certain provinces require more police points than others?*

This is not too important as usually a regular unit influences the loyalty about the same no matter the rating.

National Morale is something I never paid much attention to until I read the manual and found its connection to supplies and cohesion. But it also seems like something that cannot be controled. Can anything be done to help keep the national morale higher?*

NM (National Morale) is tied to how successful you are in battle and how many strategic cities you take. If you win battles, you will see your NM increase.

What exactly is the penalty toward for having command points in excess of the leader capacity? What is the red 10% value referring to when this happens?*

It is a combat penalty. It decreases your chance for success in battle.

If only level one depots and forts may be destroyed, is there a way to build these structures past level one? Or is this status reserved for specific structures according to the scenario?

You really cannot build beyond level one. Only permanent structures ever get a higher level.

When it says that my units besieging have "achieved nothing this month" is there a way to find out their progress to determine how close the siege is to success?

Nope, this message means what it says. No change.

One of the military options, "Issue a Scalp Bounty", says "Offer rewards for prisoners and ships". What exactly does this mean in terms of the game?

This is a nice flavor event (ie for fun) but also it increases your EP (see above for production and purchasing new units)

I'll probably bring more questions later. Thanks for reading!

Durk

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:27 am

Durk wrote:How does the Police stat affect how quickly a province becomes occupied? Do certain provinces require more police points than others?*

Policing is based upon loyalty. The police value represents 'days' the unit reduces the opposition loyalty, which means increasing your loyalty.

Hobbes

Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:37 am

I certainly don't remember any text for this event that mentions ships? I think the event makes it more likely that certain locked tribes with a leaning toward your side will become unlocked.

Cheers,
Chris

BWise
Conscript

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:18 am

Thanks for the replies guys! I got a couple more questions. Sorry if this stuff is in the manual. I try to look through it but usually only find answers to my questions half of the time.

Just to clarify the "Available Replacements" screen (it just feels weird because nothing happens when the button is clicked). I clicked this button when I had available replacements on the first turn of a scenario but no new units appeared next turn. A bunch appeared on turn three but I am not sure how to distinguish between those that I requested and those that were triggered to enter on turn three regardless. Is there a way to figure this out through the log or something?

On naval transport: it is no possible for a land unit to travel multiple provinces, board a ship, and leave for another province on the ship all in the same turn? I think the manual says that the land unit needs to be in the same province as the ships at the start of the turn but its not totally clear to me.

Is there a negative effect to selecting "Ambush", like a loss of cohesion or something? In other words, what is my incentive to not press the "Ambush" button every time regardless of its success chance?

Hobbes wrote:I certainly don't remember any text for this event that mentions ships? I think the event makes it more likely that certain locked tribes with a leaning toward your side will become unlocked.

Oh you're right I messed that up. It actually says "scalps".

Durk

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:34 am

If the available replacements are units, like dragoons, and not appearing, you likely do not have the EP to afford them. The only reason they would not appear is you do not have enough EP to purchase them.

You cannot move and board a ship in the same turn. Only if you start in a port with ships can you move by sea and unload.

No negative effect to using ambush. Only positive.

BWise
Conscript

Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:47 am

That makes sense now. Of course I had no EPs at the start of the scenario. But I cannot find how many EPs are required to produce each unit. Surely different types of units have different costs?

I just found this actually. So does that mean one regular infantry element will cost 3 EPs?

The attachment 28rhzj4.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
28rhzj4.jpg

Durk

Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:06 am

Ah, have you clicked on the globe like icon on the left side of the map?
Clicking on this opens a whole new menu. You will have about six options. Two of these will be units to buy and their EP costs. If you can not find this I will show you an image.

BWise
Conscript

Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:11 pm

Are you talking about this screen? I don't see anything that indicates what the units' cost may be. Even the tooltips don't mention the cost of building them.

[ATTACH]33194[/ATTACH]
Attachments
BoA II Available Replacements Screen.jpg

Durk

Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:32 pm

Ok, so good. So we are looking at the replacement screen. These are the replacement chits you already own, so that is why no price.
Look at the blue and yellow ribbons. If you are playing a grand campaign game like 1776, you will see units to buy and the prices. Short scenarios do not have units to purchase.

BWise
Conscript

Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:36 am

Oh so you mean that units are actually recruited in the "Military Options" and "Diplomatic Options" screens? What exactly is the "Available Replacements" screen for then? What do the units it shows mean and why does it sometimes have units displayed like the screenshot above and sometimes it has nothing?

Durk

Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:00 am

Yep, that is exactly it.
Available replacements shows those the game provides at the start and by game events, and those you buy in the Military Options and Diplomatic Options choices which are not immediately incorporated into on map units.
Screenshot above shows some available replacement exist. When it is blank, you have used all the available replacements, for now. That is, available replacement are the replacements your forces can take if they are in supply, usually on a city.

BWise
Conscript

Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:25 am

Sorry I'm still confused. Do the units under Available Replacements enter automatically, independent of those you have control over in Military/Diplomatic Options? Or do they just sit in the Available Replacements screen until you purchase them through the Military/Diplomatic Options?

Durk

Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:18 am

The units under Available Replacements enter automatically when you have a unit which is missing an element in a city with sufficient supply.
Those you have in the Military/Diplomatic Options are usually staged to the Available Replacements box.

So normal sequence is you buy replacements in Military/Diplomatic Options box. These then go to the Available replacements box. These are used when an eligible units needs an element.

In addition, in many scenarios, the Available Replacements box starts with some replacement chits.

However, most of the Military and Diplomatic options provide units, not replacements. The units appear on the map the next turn after purchase.

BWise
Conscript

Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:51 am

Oh ok great I understand now. Thanks alot for the help. I think I'm ready to try the longer scenarios so I'm sure I'll be back with more questions when I finish some of them.

Durk

Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:46 am

Hi BWise, just checking in to see how the longer scenario is going. Does the reinforcement interface make more sense in a game with more options?

BWise
Conscript

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:30 am

Yes I played through King William's War and I'm more than halfway through the War of 1812 and it definitely makes more sense now. Though I guess there is no way to direct where specifically the new element is going to be sent to?

Also how do replacements work when an element is not destroyed? Like in this picture below, will these elements regain strength if the unit is in a city with supply?

Thanks again!

Durk

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:19 pm

You are right about not being able to select where replacements arrive.
As to your damaged but existent elements, yes, just be in a city which has more supply capacity than the number of elements in your stack.

Ebbingford

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:37 pm

Durk wrote:You are right about not being able to select where replacements arrive.

You can be a little selective by putting the unit that you would rather get the replacement into passive posture. Units in passive posture get first call on replacements.
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Durk

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:03 am

How true. Thank you for clarifying and reminding me how to target replacements.

BWise
Conscript

Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:37 pm

That's good to know. I have a few other questions after finishing the War of 1812 scenario.

Is it a good idea to consider morale checks before entering battle? What should you look for in your units that may indicate having a good chance of passing their morale checks?

Are some events unavoidable? "The Cayahoga is captured" (I was playing the Americans) happened on the first turn even though I left that ship in Detroit, had naval control of Lake Erie, and my army was still in Detroit.

Why can one of my armies build a for but another cannot? The only thing I can think of is that the army that can build a fort has an artillery unit and the other does not.

Durk

Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:10 am

Others may do morale checks, not me. If the unit appears to be healthy, battle it is.

I think you are playing AI, so I will not be much help on Cayohoga. Did it fire as an event or as a consequence of enemy action? I do think this one is avoidable with a garrison, but a guess.

You are absolutely correct in your surmise. A fort requires a supply unit and an artillery unit, both at full strength.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”