Taillebois
General of the Army

How do you win the Pequot War as natives?

Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:19 am

As usual I've had about a dozen goes, various settings, try quick attack; try wait a turn or two; still can't get a win.

Durk

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:17 am

Which side? All or only one?
As Puritans, attack and attack some more.
As Pequots, attack and attack some more.
Use the ability to totally destroy enemy towns.

Durk

Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:52 am

Taullebois - did you figure out a good strategy?
My kind of vapid reply hid the strategy, maybe. The side which attacks first wins. Which towns are you attacking in your quick attack?

Taillebois
General of the Army

Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:15 pm

I get a points win, but not with me having all the objectives. Anyway, thanks for the follow up. I've too many games, not enough time.

Durk

Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:06 am

I so know the not enough time.
Points win is about as good as it gets.

Durk

Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:48 am

I was recently reviewing the Pequot War. It is really interesting from the standpoint of the total commitment of the Train Bands of the colonials.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:47 pm

I was idling around on the web avoiding doing my quarterly accounts return and I noticed your comment from a fortnight ago.

That prompted me to look up "Train Bands Pequot" on Google which led me to a Wikipedia article on John Underhill, and then to trying the Pequot War scenario as the Brits - attacking and got a victory - which has made me feel good.

I've been meaning to ask you Durk, what settings do you usually use for your games and roughly how long do you spend on a turn for the various AGEOD games? And do you have a method or routine each turn - e.g. check supply of every unit, then do replacements or what?

Durk

Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:52 am

absolutely love the term fortnight, not a term used in the US. As a person whose family came to America very early, John Underhill is a bit of a controversial figure. Was he a hero? Maybe. I knew nothing about Train Bands until recently. I was actually researching the English Civil War when I first encountered this term. I think it is easily the origin of the notion in Britain and the US of how militia guarantees our freedoms.

Thanks for your query. I use the defaults for the most part. I like some delay in combat resolution, but will play with long delay. With the newer games, I turn off auto replacements and such. But I love hard activation in the older games and veteran activation in the newer ones. Navy settings are default for me.

How long?? Hmm.
AJE - 10 to 15 minutes
ROP - 15 to 20 minutes
RUS - 15 to 20 minutes
WIA - 10 to 15 minutes
CW2 - 30 t0 50 minutes
EAW - 30 to 40 minutes

I always do shared hosting, so these numbers are move, resolve turn, make new move.

Do I have a method?? Kind of. . .

1. I check the ledger to see what has happened.
2. I use the ledger check to adjust units and play.
3. Then I use the E and T functions to check each unit and move them as needed.
4. In some games, like WIA, I just check the options for new units, replacements and such. In other games I use the new units interface.

Funny for me to think about a routine each turn as I am not too methodical. I scan the turn, dive into problems, fix these issues and plan problems for my opponent. I do check the replacement fields and make sure all forces have at least one replacement factor, but more are dependent upon which force needs replacements.

I am very loses and free in play. Most opponents compare me to John Bell Hood, I mount the horse and ride into conflict and ignore logic and supply and logistics.

Wow, thanks for asking. What did I miss?

Taillebois
General of the Army

Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:19 pm

Thanks for the long reply.

Re English Civil War - have you seen the game Pike & Shot? I happened to be in Newark, Nottinghamshire last week for a work meeting and was embarrassed to realise how important it was for the English Civil War. If I have to go back I shall make time to see the new museum on the war.

Durk

Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:33 am

I have seen Pike and Shot and I have enjoyed playing the game. While strategic level games are what I personally enjoy the most, tactical games can be an enjoyable diversion. Battle sites from this era are so very rare.

Incidentally, I think there might be an English Civil War addition to the upcoming Thirty Years War.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”