dpt24
Sergeant

How do you keep your army from starving?

Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:45 am

How do you keep from losing all of your soldiers to lack of supply? I've played basically all AGEOD games and I'm able to handle supplies in them but grand campaign (American Revolution) in this game always ends with me having massive supply issues. Any suggestions?

Durk

Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:19 am

WIA handles supply a bit differently than other Ageod games. The ideas are similar, but the play is a bit different.

In WIA there are two very different ideas associated with supply:
1. A supply region - city, fort or depot - has a listed number of supply, this is how many elements it can support. As you are not drawing supply from a distant source via rail and such, this is what your force has as a maximum. So if a city has 32 supply value, your force must have 32 or fewer elements or you do not get enough supply.
2. Rebuilding requires an even more precise calculation. Supply value to elements.

Wagons do draw supply so if you have some in a force, they will draw supply form nearby sources, but mostly you must have enough supply or your force starves.
In this game, you are better to sacrifice a few units by sending them into the wilderness to keep elements within supply capacity. (Of course I mean to nearby cities is possible)

In other games I just let the system take care of my supply. In Wia I count and count and count to make sure all regions have more supply than the elements of my armies.

If this does not make sense, let me know.

dpt24
Sergeant

Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:53 am

I've played a lot of AJE and Birth of Rome and not had these issues but the combination of slow movement and low supply cities are really problematic. I can't even keep large forces that historically were together in one group. As the British I do try and spread my troops out but they then struggle to win a lot of smaller battles. At first things go very well and I can grab a lot of cities but I generally run into a problem in either the South or Virginia where I run out of supply.

Durk

Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:05 am

This is the challenge of the game. When I am British I do convert several transports and supply units into depots. AJE/BOR have much larger city supply than WIA, but it is the same system.
For Virginia, Norfolk and Baltimore start with enough supply to quickly build to major depots.
In the South only Charleston or Savannah fill the bill.

The trick, in my view, is to always make sure a force has wagons to draw supply. And to count elements.

dpt24
Sergeant

Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:47 pm

Okay thanks, i'll use this and try again!

Xaloc
General of the Army

Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:54 pm

In addition of what Durk told you dpt24, there's another way to calculate your supply requirements that since I learnt about it, works for me in general.

Take the supply level of a determined area and multiply it by five. This number approximately is the supply that this area can provide to an army. If you are in an area with a supply level of 10, then an army with a supply consumption of 50 or less will be supplied without problem.

Hope this helps you and excuse my poor English.

Durk

Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:15 am

Could you expand just a bit what your are asking. What changes to which setups?

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”