Joseignacio
Sergeant

Anybody ever won through Victory points asa British in the 1689-92 campaign 42 turns?

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:42 pm

As soon as I start, and while my units are still blocked (earlier land units unblocked in turn 4), the AI takes or destroys freely as many settlements as it wants. When I start to play it has about 150 to 180 VP advantage.

Even taking all the objective cities and towns except for the more difficult Quebec and Mont Royal, and winning constantly battles and getting from these several VPs it's impossible to cope with such an advantage in a game where (because of the shortness - 42 turns) the total VPs are around 500.

Moreover, I cannot believe that killing "x" units of militia (usually 1 component) and destroying "y" miserable settlements, plus having Pemaquid (I think that's the name) for 5 turns can give 150-180 VPs.

Especially since I don't get these points when I later kill their militias, burn their villages to ashes and keep Pemaquid for most of the rest of the game.

Cheats for the AI or is there some strange reason for this? Is this WAD?

Canon
Lieutenant

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:10 pm

Take Montreal and Quebec. Thats how I won. You should get a sizeable fleet and army to do it.

Joseignacio
Sergeant

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:57 am

Thanks, I thought so. But this is extremely close to Sudden Death Conditions, since those are the difficult ones, and Pemaquid and others are pretty easy. There is no sense in having a Victory Points condition that in the practice is almost equal to Sudden Death conditions, because the AI gets 150-200 VP for free at the beginning.

Also, with this (stupid and way irreasonable) extreme increase in the attrition levels, and the disorganization (even in summer and in one month), it's extremely difficult to take Quebec or Mont Royal to the IA without have severe risk of losing most of your forces. And if it was a human player, it's simply impossible, of course, provided he has a brain.

Hobbes

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:29 pm

Hi chaps, the French side gets a 100 VP start to reflect the historical initiative and to better balance the scenario. This is mentioned in the scenario notes. It is not an AI cheat as a French human player will also get the 100 VP. It is not easy to take Quebec or Montreal (well done Canon for managing it) but it certainly wasn't easy historically either. Only one of Quebec or Montreal should be required for a major victory - otherwise a minor victory is still possible.

Cheers,
Chris

lecrop
Captain

Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:49 pm

As British vs AI I managed a minor victory 528/499 taking all the objectives except Quebec and Montreal.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”