newmanovci
Conscript

'Missing' game info

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:01 pm

Having enjoyed the FIW campaign, I've recently started exploring the AWI one. However, much as I'm becoming a real fan of the AGEOD system, I am rather frustrated by some key game info being not in the manual. By going through posts on this forum made by various helpful people (particularly the brilliant How To AAR) I've managed to piece together some of the missing game information.

But I'm finding that this missing info is even more critical in the AWI campaign than in the FIW one. For instance, I've learned from a forum post that Foreign Intervention is affected by British control of strategic cities in principal regions (Deep South, Middle States, etc) but is there anything else at a strategic or 'war management' level that's not explained or listed anywhere?? For example, is there any way of finding out when British reinforcements are due to arrive? I don't mind a bit of uncertainty in precisely when and where they turn up, but it's a bit annoying to have to play through the scenario first and have to note down when they turn up. I tried looking at the Event files, but they're not terribly readable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really warming to the game system. So much so that RoP, RuS and AjE are pretty much on my shopping list. But guys...PLEASE complete the games' documentation! :-)

In the meantime, if anyone has any additional info on the AWI campaign (at that strategic or 'war management' level I mentioned) could they share it here or in a sticky forum post please. Are there any key historical events that are triggered by capture of certain cities at certain times, or anything of that nature? In some ways, I enjoy playing in the position of the leaders of the period, who obviously didn't have future knowledge. But, on the other hand, you can't really plan if you don't know how the game works.

Thanks.

Philo32b
Captain

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:53 pm

I agree that it would be very helpful for the new player if some events were given approximate warning. It seems that this could be done without the need for additional hard coding--one of the reports in the campaign could give the player approximate time frames for various reinforcements that would be planned, such as expeditions from England. Militias arising spontaneously could remain undisclosed.

newmanovci
Conscript

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:18 am

Notification of that nature in the game would be quite nice, but I'd just like more info overall about key game mechanisms. To be honest, I'm not that bothered about detailed algorithms on supply, combat, etc. I need to know how these things work in a general sense, but not to two decimal places ;-).

But I do need to know things like the info I spotted in a post by lodilefty in the 'Losing NM?' thread. Kind of handy to know that: "Starting in January 1780, there are 4 events that test for Control of Theatres by the British...lacking full control of any theatre will hit GBR with -4NM and -40VP per turn".

So I'm not asking for any changes in gameplay or coding; I'd just like to have key strategic-level mechanisms spelled out somewhere :-)

Durk

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:45 am

I understand. As a brand new player of the Ageod games I actually set them aside for some time because they seemed way to complicated with incomplete rules. Then I learned the slogan, 'Easy to play hard to master' is true.
Here is the problem; many events are conditional, that is, they do not occur unless certain conditions occur. It is kind of like one of those make your own story books when you select one chain and it results in a whole new story.
For example: In the American Civil War game, the Union is typically penalized for not taking Manassas early or get units close to Richmond. If an innocent player or an experienced player take Manassas, no penalty occurs. Or in the 1775 American Revolutionary War game, if the Americans do not take Montreal they are penalized and do not get the Canadian units which join the Colonial side. You only know of this penalty if you do not take Montreal. Well, how detailed to you expect rules to be? Must they say for every possible occurrence, “anticipate this but then there might be another outcome.” It would be too complicated and ultimately a very boring manual.
So my take, enjoy the surprise even if playing against an experienced opponent. Learn.
It all works, just some surprises in learning.

KG Erwin
Lieutenant

Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:34 am

After reading the USMC's modern-day "Warfighting" manual, I now understand how the concepts of "friction" and "uncertainty" play their part in 18th century warfare. It took me several years to fully understand how this AGEOD system works, but once I got the grasp of the concepts, by trial and error and many many restarts, I finally got it, and completed one of the campaign games. BOA2 is now one of my favorite games, and was a worthwhile investment, as it well-illustrates the complexities of operational warfare in the timeframe and on the North American continent. The American Civil War wasn't that much different, even though the technology had changed.

Durk

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:24 am

I have played the various WIA scenarios with differing levels of success for some time.
A new example arose in a game I am currently playing. WIA, French and Indian War (Seven Years War) 1775 Campaign Colonial Faction. Braddock managed to do a bit better than he did historically and captured Fort Duquesne. The Delaware Nations have joined the British and colonial forces.
It would be a major change to cataloged all these alternative branches events can take in a single game manual.

newmanovci
Conscript

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:07 pm

Hmm...thinking about it more, maybe I'm coming round to the idea of not having every branch spelled out. And I agree with KG Erwin's assessment of BOA2.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”