vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

How to turn off auto garrison

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:47 pm

Can someone tell me if there is a way to turn off auto garrison? I am truly tired of finding huge French armies that have been created by this feature, and hurt the accuracy of the game.

Ebbingford

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:05 am

Go to the Game Rules file, in the settings folder. There is a line about AutoGarrison, put this to "=0".

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:32 pm

Ebbingford wrote:Go to the Game Rules file, in the settings folder. There is a line about AutoGarrison, put this to "=0".

My deepest thanks. The forums may have been down for awhile, and they do not look the same, but their spirit lives on, untouched by those hackers. Ebbingford, you are worthy of your title!

Ebbingford

Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:07 pm

Thank you :)

Pocus

Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:39 am

Garrisons should be small and cost replacements... not sure these troops are really abusive.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Narwhal

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:27 am

I remember that in the FIW, I have seen Grand Pré generates Militia each turn, each militia bringing some supplies to the lot, until there were 6 or 7 or 8 militia in garrison, making assault impossible.

It was the only case where I found this to be a problem (long sieges), but it might be tuned a little, for example by making it impossible if there are already 2 or 3 units in the city.

lodilefty

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:04 pm

Pocus wrote:Garrisons should be small and cost replacements... not sure these troops are really abusive.

Um, WIA uses Advanced AutoGarrison. Did you change it so that it needs replacements?
http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/AutoGarrison_Feature

but there should only be one, per the rule "no other garrison in the region"
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

lodilefty

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:39 pm

We need a saved game showing the multiple AutoGarrisons lingering in a region.

Please refer to http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Send_Saved_Game

Thank you!
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

squarian
Brigadier General

Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:22 pm

Pocus wrote:Garrisons should be small and cost replacements... not sure these troops are really abusive.

I don't think I'd say "abusive", but certainly implausible to the point of straining credulity in certain cases. In a recent FIW game I played with Ebbingford, for example: after raiding and gaining control of some Virginia towns, I ended up with French troops appearing in Richmond. On my reading of events, there's simply no way to justify the appearance of hostile armed forces in the English colonies in the 1750s, whether we see them as actually French/Canadian or some kind of rebel Virginians. Ebbingford and I suspended that game, turned off the autogarrison rule, and started over. I don't intend to play with it on in that scenario in future - the results are too whacky to justify it.

lodilefty

Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:10 pm

squarian wrote:I don't think I'd say "abusive", but certainly implausible to the point of straining credulity in certain cases. In a recent FIW game I played with Ebbingford, for example: after raiding and gaining control of some Virginia towns, I ended up with French troops appearing in Richmond. On my reading of events, there's simply no way to justify the appearance of hostile armed forces in the English colonies in the 1750s, whether we see them as actually French/Canadian or some kind of rebel Virginians. Ebbingford and I suspended that game, turned off the autogarrison rule, and started over. I don't intend to play with it on in that scenario in future - the results are too whacky to justify it.

We did "prune back" the AG for final 1.10, and can do more...
...just be sure you report on games Started in 1.10 final, as the changes don't apply to previously saved games...
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Pocus

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:43 am

Sorry the need for replacement is only for the first set of code about AG, so it should be ok in WIA if you enabled advanced AG.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

lodilefty

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:33 pm

Remember now, we've made the AG only active for the AI, and reduced the activity to be in Cities and Depots only...

..IMHO, the 'weirdness' was happening where a Fort was in a City creating multiple units [WAD, I think] and in Settlements/Stockades where Raiders where getting whomped by the AG appearances.

This is why we need more feedback from games started in the 1.10 official patch, where these changes occur.
[CENTER][/CENTER]

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 30, 2012 1:49 am

lodilefty wrote:Remember now, we've made the AG only active for the AI, and reduced the activity to be in Cities and Depots only...

..IMHO, the 'weirdness' was happening where a Fort was in a City creating multiple units [WAD, I think] and in Settlements/Stockades where Raiders where getting whomped by the AG appearances.

This is why we need more feedback from games started in the 1.10 official patch, where these changes occur.

I regret this very late reply. I find it so hard to get away from PON. But the situation I kept running into, as the British in the French and Indian war, was that Louisburg had a huge garrison of regulars an other troops, that made it impossible for the British to even land on the Island, even with a much larger army than the one that actually took the place. Of course,these games were prior to 1.10.
So I will try to get away from PON long enough to test this.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”