AEWHistory
Conscript

Interesting Idea re: elements

Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:04 am

Okay, I'm increasingly getting the sense that I'm talking to myself here, but in the off chance that someone eventually reads this, I've been thinking about what a neat idea it would be to be able to move elements around regiments. I know that you can combine regiments, although I've not quite gotten the hang of that, but what I'm thinking is more flexible. For instance, let's say you want to send off a detachment but need or want certain units to stay, or go, like the light infantry. It is historically accurate to be able to strip off the light infantry and then send the remainder of the regiment. In fact, the remaining light infantry could then be formed into a regiment, and so on. Because of command and supply limitations, there are inherent checks in the gaming system so that the player could only use and abuse this system so much, so I think it could work. As it is, I think you can only combine regiments that lack elements, right? Does this sound like a good idea?

Aaron

Gray_Lensman

Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:41 am

deleted

AEWHistory
Conscript

Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:21 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:By design, the smallest item possible for players to directly manipulate is units whether they contain 1 element or multiple elements. None of the AGEod games allow for direct element manipulation other than moving the unit that the element is contained in.

Out of curiosity, why? Is it a programming issue? Gameplay? I ask because I think this would make for an interesting change for some periods (this would be anachronistic for other periods).

Durk

Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:23 am

Gameplay is one reason. After playing all of the AGEod games, some like the American Civil War work on the very intimate level you ask for, other work on more macro levels. The Civil War version requires a lot of attention to detail. BoA2 works on a more simplified unit level. Historically, during the wars of the 18th and early 19th century, having an industrial infrastructure was not the key to unit recruitment. In BoA2, units appear in regions and towns free of British dominance. No industry or other reason are part of the game. So sure, gameplay, but also a more friendly and simple model

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”