AEWHistory
Conscript

Trained Continentals and elemental/regimental dismissal

Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:07 pm

Okay, I've only just registered, but I've been playing for a few weeks (I purchased BOA a couple years ago but never got around to playing it.... so I started with that about a month ago, become addicted and bought BOA2 a few days back to fuel my addicted.... damn you!).

Anyway, here's my problem: I thought that trained continentals were never dismissed and then, much to my great chagrin, in the winter of '77 I got some sort of event that said "trained continentals go home for the winter." Noooooo! This was really bad because I had put an extraordinary effort into training units and it seemed like nearly half went home (although it may have been lower). Is this a fluke? A bug? Did I misinterpret what I was seeing? What was odd was that only elements were dismissed, not the entire regiment.

This brings up another question that I've had: often I'll have partially trained regiments, such as a militia unit with one or two infantry elements, or a continental with a trained element, and so on. When the end of the year arrives and the computer needs to decide whether a unit is dismissed, is it by regiment or element? IOW, in a militia unit with infantry, the militia would have upwards of a 60% chance or demobilizing, but the infantry could be down around 10%. So would the infantry elements get the benefit of being infantry or are they all figured as militia until the regiment reaches a majority (3 or more)? Of course, the same applies to the continentals.

I guess the heart of my question is to look for clarifications on demobilization. I've done some searching, but only a few questions seem answered and I'm not always sure which bit of info. is still in effect at this point in development. For instance, are light infantry regular infantry or trained infantry for dismissal purposes?

Sorry for the verbose message....

AEWHistory
Conscript

Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:39 am

Okay, since I've not gotten a reply I figured I'd add to my query in the hopes of getting a little discussion. I've noticed, for instance, that you get some trained regulars back (and maybe some untrained regulars as well?) after the winter exodus. Are these the troops that went home? IOW, if 5 regiments went home do you get 5 coming back? Or is there no correlation?

Basically, I'm trying to get a feeling for how much investment should be made on training. I've typically held back regiments for training purposes, but this could be doing more harm than good, especially early on. Also, in BOA1 it was necessary to not move in order to train, but I think that was changed; has it? And the tooltip says that the training officer works with all units in stack, but the manual says this is only if he is commander. It is difficult to make strategic and tactical decisions w/o a clearer understanding on the game mechanics.

Durk

Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:53 am

Which units are dismissed it largely a matter of chance. Literally. Some of your trained regulars do return after winter, but not 5 out of 5. None of your militia. Let them train. They are more likely to stay, but no guarantee.
All units will train, even without a training officer. Training officers add to this if in command. But also, add can add even if a subordinate officer.
Remember the game simulate the historical Continental Army which could be 40,000 strong one day and 3,000 strong the next.
Keep each of the four major regions with at least one place to recruit new troops and as the Americans you will field strong Armies.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”