Sesshu
Civilian

Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:01 am

Thank you for the game and the forums. I've just acquired the game and auto updated it to 1.06. I'll learn the hard way, after a few shorter scenarios, with the "Whites of Their Eyes" campaign, though I may abandon that for some more short campaigns ;)

I see that there will be a hotfix to the 1.08 patch. I have patience so I'll play with 1.06 for now.

My questions:

1. Into what folder will I be extracting the 1.08 patch into? I don't want to assume in the main Wars In Ameica folder, though that folder seems the likely one.

2. So far 1.06 has been very stable on my Win7 OS. I'm going to assume 1.06 is just fine to play the game for now, especially for a beginner (I've been wargaming since Gary Grigsby's mid-latter 1980's Commodore 64 titles--SSI).

Many thanks.

Durk

Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:10 am

Patch 1.08 is out. Here is the link http://ageoddl.telechargement.fr/latest/WIA_Patch.zip or see the first post in this forum.

The auto extract should place it in the right folder, if not it unzips into the main WIA folder.

You now own a wonderful game, enjoy.

Narwhal

Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:08 pm

Here is an example among other of the "no-ammo consumption" bug.

Sir William Shirley fought the French in the middle of nowhere, the battle was significant, but he still has maximum ammunition.

A militia in Fredericktowne was attacked twice this turn - still has 100% ammunition.

Also note the display bug with the Sangarecha indians : take them out of Sir William Johnson's column (south of the Champlain) : they still have the picture of their leader on the map, even though he is dead.

This game comes from the AAR I play against Loki100 on the Paradox forum :
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?545321-Wars-in-America-A-how-to-AAR
Attachments
Bug.rar
(583.37 KiB) Downloaded 272 times

Hobbes

Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Ebbingford wrote:Is anybody else noticing that some units keep on gaining experience even if they are not engaged in any fighting?
I am sure this didn't happen before.

Just noticed this one! All units in King William's War are 2* units by 1691 :(

Cheers, Chris

vonRocko
Colonel

Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:36 pm

Is this patch going to be fixed?

Carnium

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:49 pm

Hobbes wrote:Just noticed this one! All units in King William's War are 2* units by 1691 :(

Cheers, Chris

I can also (sadly) confirm this. ....

Stwa
Colonel

Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:08 am

lodilefty wrote:Thank you!

We've identified the issue: The Region Selection list and associated "NotEnemy" commands are located in Actions rather than in Conditions. Thus, if all regions in the list are "Enemy", the engine goes ahead and places the units at one of the locations anyway! Solution: edit every arrival event moving the Region select llogc to conditions, and/or add logic to place units in a "safe place". This is gonna take some time....

...actually a lot of time, so be patient! :)

Hey Lodi, I am glad to see that you are doing well. :)

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

I will add screenies for the Hortelez and Cie event from the ORIGINAL BOA database issued what seems to be a century ago. This event has problems, and I dont think is has been fixed even in WIA.

And a screenie from one of my 1755 scenario varients, which I think might be more foolproof for some situations. Perhaps you could use the region list in the condition block as well.

Regards,

Stwa
Attachments
Fool Proof Method From My Personal Stash.JPG
Event Pick Lists Never Fixed from BoA Days.JPG

Stwa
Colonel

Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:24 am

Just another thought about the region list actions in the WIA/BOA events.

It is probably a good thing that the units are deployed (at least somewhere), even if there are enemies in their intended destinations.

Otherwise, the event would have fired, and might not be a repeating event, and therefore would not execute again during the scenario.

Whether a given event (with a region list) is "bugged" or not, cannot really be determined by just looking at it. The event can only be judged in the context of its scenario.

For instance, most of the arrival events use this method of region selection list, but in most cases, the list of regions to choose from are so complete, it would be impossible to have enemies occupying each and every region on the list.

Here are a couple of pics that show the situation very well. The fist shows the event script, and the second shows an ingame consequence. The event fired even though both regions in the list had enemies present.
Attachments
Troops get deployed but fort not built.JPG
Simple Region List.JPG

greenalien
Sergeant

Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:41 am

greenalien wrote:Okay I found definitely an unwarranted experience increase. Ft. Henry Garrison has gained a star of experience, even though it has not been engaged in any fights whatsoever.

Bump. This is a bug that can be repeated by the way, happened twice out of two games, both times in the early turns.

Here's a link to the original post, it has the necessary attachment.

lodilefty

Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:55 pm

greenalien wrote:Bump. This is a bug that can be repeated by the way, happened twice out of two games, both times in the early turns.

Here's a link to the original post, it has the necessary attachment.

Sorry I'm so slow..... :(

I've slowly assembled some possible fixes for the Experience bug, as well as the "Hortelez-type" bug.

Patience, please :)
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Hobbes

Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:41 am

:thumbsup:

KG Erwin
Lieutenant

Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:17 am

No problem, Lodilefty. Take your time, as I've put BOA2 on hold for awhile.

Narwhal

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:40 am

Any plan to patch for the "no ammo consumption" problem for all AGEOD games ? There is no way I am the only one experiencing this ?

Xaloc
General of the Army

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:11 am

Narwhal wrote:Any plan to patch for the "no ammo consumption" problem for all AGEOD games ? There is no way I am the only one experiencing this ?

I had not realized this but, yes, you're right there's no ammo consumption, after a battle the ammo level always is maximum.

Stwa
Colonel

Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:37 am

KG Erwin wrote:No problem, Lodilefty. Take your time, as I've put BOA2 on hold for awhile.

Me too! :wacko:

But its the experience bug I don't like, since it seems to have been present in one form or another since the inception of the game.

If it were only possible to put a region list in the Condition section of an event, and then each region (Not Enemy) could evaluate as a logical OR, that would be an incredible feature, IMHO. :)

Stwa
Colonel

Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:20 pm

[SIZE="4"]Patches?[/size]

We don't need no steenking patches! :wacko:

Narwhal

Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:32 pm

Take your time Loli, we all appreciate your effort and once you correct those not-so-important bugs about ammo and experience, the game will be perfect :) Except some DB issues in some scenario :)

By the way, I heard there were plan to include the mod scenario "Pontiac's War" by Hobbes in the "normal" game. Is it (still) true ?

Hobbes

Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:26 pm

Narwhal wrote:Take your time Loli, we all appreciate your effort and once you correct those not-so-important bugs about ammo and experience, the game will be perfect :) Except some DB issues in some scenario :)

By the way, I heard there were plan to include the mod scenario "Pontiac's War" by Hobbes in the "normal" game. Is it (still) true ?

Thanks for your interest Narwhal. I'm not sure this will happen any time soon.
Also King William's War is almost ready for release - although I can tinker with the AI opponent for months :)
King Philip's War should be fairly quick to do but with my track record it will probably take 2 years! (I hope not).

As they become available I will release them as mods - hopefully nobody is having any problems with the Pontiac mod files?

Cheers, Chris

Narwhal

Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:58 pm

Hobbes wrote:Thanks for your interest Narwhal. I'm not sure this will happen any time soon.
Also King William's War is almost ready for release - although I can tinker with the AI opponent for months :)
King Philip's War should be fairly quick to do but with my track record it will probably take 2 years! (I hope not).

As they become available I will release them as mods - hopefully nobody is having any problems with the Pontiac mod files?

Cheers, Chris

If you mods were DLCs, I would gladly pay for them :)

Hobbes

Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:26 pm

Narwhal wrote:If you mods were DLCs, I would gladly pay for them :)

Thanks Narwhal. You can put £1 in a charity box for me for each new scenario :)
In fact if anyone reading this enjoyed the Pontiac scenario maybe you could donate a small amount to an animal welfare charity -
rabbits in particular - they have a tough life. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Chris

lodilefty

Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:28 pm

Hobbes wrote:Thanks Narwhal. You can put £1 in a charity box for me for each new scenario :)
In fact if anyone reading this enjoyed the Pontiac scenario maybe you could donate a small amount to an animal welfare charity -
rabbits in particular - they have a tough life. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Chris

Hmmm. my backyard must be a Rabbit sanctuary! While our cat struggles to keep them out of the garden, the little hoppers are everywhere everywhere. :blink: :D
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:05 pm

We live in a suburb adjoining Chicago's west side -- i.e., right smack in the middle of a huge urbanized metropolitan area. Yet our neighborhood is overrun by rabbits! :bonk:
What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!
Early MusiChicago - Early Music in Chicago and Beyond - http://earlymusichicago.org
PIKT - Global-View, Site-at-a-Time System and Network Administration - http://pikt.org
AGElint - an AGE debugging toolkit - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333
Your Mileage May Vary -- Always!

Hobbes

Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:56 pm

I bet they are not as cute as these two. Thomas and Percy :)

Their hutch is the shed at the back which also has a run behind it.

Cheers, Chris
P.S. they are interested in the French & Indian War which makes this more relevant.
Attachments
Garden.jpg
R2.jpg
R1.jpg

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Wow, you have a very beautiful garden and some cute rabbits. :coeurs:

Congratulations! :)
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rafiki

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:58 am

Hobbes wrote:P.S. they are interested in the French & Indian War which makes this more relevant.

Nice try... ;)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:24 am

rabbits => rabbit pelts => trappers & fur traders => plied their trade in the areas where the French & Indian Wars were fought

a better try?

:wacko:
What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!

Early MusiChicago - Early Music in Chicago and Beyond - http://earlymusichicago.org

PIKT - Global-View, Site-at-a-Time System and Network Administration - http://pikt.org

AGElint - an AGE debugging toolkit - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333

Your Mileage May Vary -- Always!

Rafiki

Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:10 am

Marginally... :wacko:
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

RELee
Lieutenant

Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:43 pm

I did not realize the patch contained bunnies. I must have it now! :thumbsup:

KG Erwin
Lieutenant

Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:41 am

Yes, I tried rabbit once. Tasted pretty good. :evilgrin:

Back on topic, how's the patch coming, Lodilefty?

Pocus

Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:18 pm

I'm sorry, but Hobbes can't have the last word, rabbit-wise.

Please note that I'm staying on topic, as my rabbit ordered from Amazon a book on the French-Indian War.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”