GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

My WiA Primer

Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:33 pm

For your information, I have written this guide for absolute beginners:

link

I wrote this because I hear of many people who give up on WiA without a clue how to start, so the idea is to provide 1-2 pages with short instructions, instead of pointing to the 200 page manual. Not that you will need it. But feel free to link to it and let me know if you find something is missing.

lodilefty

Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:05 pm

:w00t: :thumbsup: :coeurs: :coeurs: :love:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:06 pm

- nevermind -

TiFlo
Captain

Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:21 pm

Nice and quite complete review!

However, I'm not sure to agree with you on the cheer difficulty of WIA, especially seeing how often you get back to this particular point. I believe I classify as a very casual wargamer, BOA having been my first game ever in that genre and only playing WIA and AACW once in a while, when I feel like putting some time into a campaign.

A few months ago, I explained why I finally decided to jump in wargaming in that post. Here is what I said:
First, allow me to praise the developers of AGEOD who, from BoA onward, have managed to bring me into computer wargaming. And even wargaming at all.
I like military history, I like grand strategy as well as battlefield tactics, and more than everything, the theatres covered by the 3 first games AGEOD so masterfully pulled out.
I had always been scared off by the overwhelming complexity of rules, the blandness of the maps, as well as that of the unit markers, when not simply displayed as NATO symbols. That graphic problem is still all too often the mark of wargames.

Now, to each his own. And I fully understand that when it comes to those types of games, game mechanics are far more important. Yet, AGOED just proved that when one want, one can.

I play games to relax, and when in front of my computer, I need to enjoy what I'm staring at. Well, with AGEOD's maps, there it is. Every time I boot up a game, I found myself completely forgetting what's surrounding me, plunging into another era, running through wilderness, canoing down rapids and lakes, and making unfriendly woods my home for the time being.

For that, I can not thank you enough, both the team for your artistic choices, and the artists that did the maps and the units. You got me hooked!
Now, pretty graphics obviously don't make a game easier to understand. And as far as ROE, supply, command points and so on go, I don't feel it took me that long and that much commitment to get a hand of it. Reading your review feels like the reader is about to face such a game as WIP or HOI, which it is clearly not.

Still, don't get me wrong. I think you're spot on when pointing out that the game lacks a real reliable database where new players (and experienced ones as well) can find quick and up to date information on the game mechanics, especially the basics that get you started. Which you did really well in your guide. If I remember well, that point has actually been raised a few times recently both for AACW and WIA. For that matter, a WIA wiki may be the way to go, although I'm afraid there isn't enough people willing to maintain it on the long run. Lordlefty has started a FAQ that can be a good compromise for the time being. If well organized, it could include tips, basics on strategy, reminders like yours, etc. Most of it is already available on the forum, but would benefit greatly from being centralized.

Cheers!

Flo
[CENTER]« Quel pays ! Quels hommes ! Quelle guerre ! Non, ma chère maman, votre enfant n'est pas fait pour habiter cette contrée barbare. »
[/CENTER]
[CENTER] Louis-Antoine de Bougainville, 1758
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[CENTER][color=DarkGreen]WIA 1.05 Patch[/color]
[/CENTER]

Hobbes

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:18 pm

Nice to see somebody take so much time over a review :thumbsup:

And Flo - great sig and avatar!

Cheers, Chris

Pocus

Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:32 am

Thank you GlobalExplorer for your review and beginner's help, nice reading :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Maziro7164

the first secret of success

Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:33 pm

self-trust is the first secret of success.Thsale is a professional, loyal and reliable wow gold supplier online, we pioneered selling cheap wow gold. Welcome to thsale buy world of warcraft gold Buy Cheap WoW Gold, World of Warcraft Gold, Please look here! We are a Great MMORPG company. wow money and wow items,which is very cheap World of Warcraft gold !All US Server 24.99$/1000G on sell! us wow gold Cheap wow gold,rs powerleveling,wow power leveling,Buy Cheapest/Safe/Fast WoW US EU Gold Power leveling

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”