Galaahd
Conscript

Thinking of purchasing BoA 2

Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:48 pm

Hi. I'm considering buying BoA 2, having already played at AACW (great game). My only concern are the bugs: is it completely bug free with the latest patch?

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:34 pm

I can't comment on the bugs. I can say that after finally purchasing BoA2 (I was a holdout), and aside from the subject matter (ACW & Napoleonics are my greater interests): as a game, BoA2:WIA is maybe my favorite. Surprise! :w00t:

Buy it!
What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!
Early MusiChicago - Early Music in Chicago and Beyond - http://earlymusichicago.org
PIKT - Global-View, Site-at-a-Time System and Network Administration - http://pikt.org
AGElint - an AGE debugging toolkit - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333
Your Mileage May Vary -- Always!

arsan

Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:44 pm

I would say no game (AGEOD or not) is completely bug free. :bonk:
But WIA is in a quite good shape. I would say its at the same level than AACW.
And this si pretty good in my book! :coeurs:
Greta game, with a faster and more streamlined gampelay than AACW because of lesser unit density.
If you have a passing interest in teh subject i'm sure you will enjoy it! :thumbsup:

Regards

Galaahd
Conscript

Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:44 pm

This thread is useless now, I ordered it on e-bay two hours ago :thumbsup:

Rafiki

Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:48 pm

To our knowledge, there are no game-breaking bugs in the latest betapatch. It is difficult (impossible?) to say if there are some minor bugs or data errors yet to be uncovered, but whenever we get reports of errors, they get adressed :thumbsup:

In short, if bugs are your concern, go for it :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

arsan

Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:48 pm

On e-bay?? :bonk:
Its this safe?? I mean... how can you know the game is legal and the serial is not spread on pirating sites? :confused:
Serial numbers found on P2P sites are blacklisted by AGEOD and you won't be able to patch the game with one of these :(

Galaahd
Conscript

Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:54 pm

Well, I bought it from a online shop with plenty of good reviews, and he said that it was factory sealed. I often bought other games and never had problems, they always came new and sealed.

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:59 pm

arsan wrote:Greta game, with a faster and more streamlined gampelay than AACW because of lesser unit density.

+1

And the best mix of shorter duration, hence more easily playable, scenarios. Varied and interesting they are, too.

[Note: The thread is not useless if it induces other fence sitters to buy the game.]
What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!

Early MusiChicago - Early Music in Chicago and Beyond - http://earlymusichicago.org

PIKT - Global-View, Site-at-a-Time System and Network Administration - http://pikt.org

AGElint - an AGE debugging toolkit - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333

Your Mileage May Vary -- Always!

Joe Bukal
Private

Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:55 pm

GREAT GAME BUGS WILL ALLWAYS GET FIXED. This is a great game company. I am going to buy WW1 just to help them out.
Joe Bukal :thumbsup:

arsan

Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:56 pm

Galaahd wrote:Well, I bought it from a online shop with plenty of good reviews, and he said that it was factory sealed. I often bought other games and never had problems, they always came new and sealed.

Hi

Thanks for the info! :) Looks good enough to me!
I have never bought anything on ebay :bonk: ... in my ignorance i supposed it was a second hand game bought from a guy :blink: :D
Regards

Ian Coote
Major

Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:11 pm

If your interested in this time period,GET THIS GAME!

FLS

Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:03 am

I own BoA and I'm thinking about buying BoA 2. Aren't finally those two game too similar? Or do BoA 2 have so significant new features that it's worth buying it?

Ian Coote
Major

Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Yes it is very similar,but I think its worth buying.Much larger map,whole War of 1812,little more depth on the naval side and more scenarios.Depending on how much you liked the first one I would say go for it.Seems a little more polished overall.

FM WarB
Colonel

Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:05 pm

I too am considering purchasing WIA and have BoA. Certain issues from BoA, such as portage links have been addressed. Others, such as AI winter death marches have not.
Do the German forces still have commanders imbedded in regiments, or has that oob/command issue been fixed?

arsan

Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:09 pm

Yes, some german leaders are imbedded with their own personal regiments. And some others not Germans too (like Butler and his rangers for example).
I'm not an expert on the era, but for what i know this is not a bug to be fixed, but a feature done on purpose for historical reasons.
Cheers

lodilefty

Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:39 pm

FM WarB wrote:I too am considering purchasing WIA and have BoA. Certain issues from BoA, such as portage links have been addressed. Others, such as AI winter death marches have not.
Do the German forces still have commanders imbedded in regiments, or has that oob/command issue been fixed?

We are testing some AI commmands to reduce the Winter AI activity... :w00t:

...and historically, there is nothng to fix re: German commanders imbedded. Research indicates an 'ownership' of those regiments.

...and it's easier to mod German command in WIA, as the imbedding is done via setup combinations, not unit design ;)
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

FM WarB
Colonel

Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:52 pm

Ownership is not the same as command of a regiment. Fusilier Regiment von Knyphausen, for example, was owned by von Knyphausen but commanded by Col. von Bork. General Lieutenant von Knyphausen was busy commanding a division, or "wing."
If we are taking ownership to mean command, why not imbed Howe in the 23rd Regiment of foot, which he owned? Howe is altogether too powerful. *LoL*
If fixing this imbeddedding issue is so easily moddable, I wonder why its never been done.

arsan

Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:22 pm

Hi
I guess it has not been "fixed" because its not considered a bug but a feature. That you don't like it does not mean its a bug ;)
In fact, i understand the embedding has been done on purpose as a special flavor feature, as the standard way to setting up leader and armies is separated.
In any case, if you don't like this feature you can easily make a mod separating them.
By the way, as you can see in the attached picture of my current 1775 campaign as the British, the fact that von Knyphausen is embedded with his own regiment don't impede him at all to actually command a "wing" of the army, as by chance, its how i'm using him :thumbsup:
It woudl just make it impossible to send his own regiment away from his command. Nothing too problematic, as you have dozens of german mercenaries regiments to detach at your pleasure.
Regards

[ATTACH]5186[/ATTACH]
Attachments
knyp.jpg

lodilefty

Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:51 pm

FM WarB wrote:Ownership is not the same as command of a regiment. Fusilier Regiment von Knyphausen, for example, was owned by von Knyphausen but commanded by Col. von Bork. General Lieutenant von Knyphausen was busy commanding a division, or "wing."
If we are taking ownership to mean command, why not imbed Howe in the 23rd Regiment of foot, which he owned? Howe is altogether too powerful. *LoL*
If fixing this imbeddedding issue is so easily moddable, I wonder why its never been done.

Because devs like it this way, and it's for modders to mod.

Buy the game, mod it, post your mod for others.

Good idea re: Howe. I think I'll change that for the next patch. ;)
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

FM WarB
Colonel

Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:23 pm

arsan wrote:Hi

By the way, as you can see in the attached picture of my current 1775 campaign as the British, the fact that von Knyphausen is embedded with his own regiment don't impede him at all to actually command a "wing" of the army, as by chance, its how i'm using him :thumbsup:

[ATTACH]5186[/ATTACH]

You are using him as a wing commander, but are suffering a 10% command penalty. You either need another 1* General, or von Knyphausen needs to be *** and able to command Brits, which historically, he was.

This may be WAD, but it bothered me back in BoA days too. Glad to see the Hessians in Blue coats, though!

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”