RobC04
Corporal

Overwhelmed by number of units

Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:15 am

Hi,
A while ago I tried to get into BIA 2, but you start with so many units and such a large number of regions it is too overwhelming. I had also purchased American Civil War, but didn't even try it because of getting overwhelmed in BIA 2. I don;t really have trouble with the concepts of the game, just the quantity of units and regions to manage.

1- Is American Civil War easier to manage in reguards to units and regions or if I find WAI 2 too overwhelming is it likely ACW will be too?

2- What is the best order to play AGEOD games in, from easiest to get into to the hardest?

Thanks

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:03 am

RobC04 wrote:Hi,
A while ago I tried to get into BIA 2, but you start with so many units and such a large number of regions it is too overwhelming. I had also purchased American Civil War, but didn't even try it because of getting overwhelmed in BIA 2. I don;t really have trouble with the concepts of the game, just the quantity of units and regions to manage.

1- Is American Civil War easier to manage in reguards to units and regions or if I find WAI 2 too overwhelming is it likely ACW will be too?

2- What is the best order to play AGEOD games in, from easiest to get into to the hardest?

Thanks

If you're not familiar with American geography, they can both be fairly overwhelming. I started with AACW, but I already had a good foundation in the geography and the time period. The command structure in WIA is simpler, but the supply system is kinda rough. I would just recommend to keep playing and you'll get the hang of it within a few turns. Don't worry about messing up too much in your first few turns.

Narwhal

Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:34 am

In my opinion, the "best" order is the following one :

- BoA2
- RoP
- AACW
- RUS

I don't have NCP, so I don't know where to put it.

As for having "too many units", remember that many units are locked. You should start with an "easy" campaign with few units to move - for instance Don Galvez Florida campaign, or one of those mini-scenarios, or maybe the French and Indian War - English side. Or even the war of 1812 as the Yankees. Just don't start with the WoI

If like me you are an euro, it will take some time to get used to the geography, but quickly enough you'll know where the strategic points are.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:27 pm

I think supply part of the game making WIA the hardest when played against skilfull opponent. I remember I have lost many men while attacking-defending near Niagara after thrown away from position ,trying to find a city to have supply. Geography and winter are more challenging then any other age game. Command penalty also a problem when commanding colonial,indian troops. Leaders are more scarce.

RobC04
Corporal

Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:31 am

Maybe I'll just buck up and try the smaller scenarios and AACW. It is a game I want to like.

Damascus
Private

Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:39 am

Supply in WIA is a difficult concept to master (or figure out sometimes), but the lack of a complex command structure makes it easier, IMO. No armies, corps, divisions, etc., just a bunch of troops under a leader or two or three. And there are many small scenarios to play around with. I'm still waiting to take on the full Revolutionary War myself.

Durk

Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:26 am

I think others have addressed this. BoA2 is the easiest, and perhaps most satisfying, game to play. It has a very low unit density and in the learning scenarios is quiet manageable. Even the the campaign game for each of the three wars only a half dozen armies are typically in play.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”