Rafiki

Sun May 13, 2007 11:11 pm

[font="Fixedsys"][RIGHT]Executive Mansion, Washington D.C.
May 10th, 1862[/RIGHT]

To: General Halleck

General,

congratulations on your victory at Island no 10! Good news indeed, especially when combined with the news of the capture of New Orleans by Butler.

Unless you think that Grant is unable to deal with Johnston on his own, I very much would like to see Pope in Memphis. Foote and his ironclads have been ordered down the Mississippi, and should soon be able to provide some reconnaissance about Memphis, as well as close of the railroad crossing into Arkansas.

Grant's primary concern should be to destroy the Confederate Army of the Mississippi. I cannot quite understand Johnston willingness to let our forces straddle his supply lines, but it makes him vulnerable, and I'm sure Grant will make him pay for it in due time.

I understand your wishes to close of entire stretches of the western waterways as they very much resemble my own. However, in order to have an effective presence in a given area, we need to concentrate our forces somewhat; any less, and the boats will not be able to close off any crossings and confederate forces may easily slip through the gaps. There has been a careful expansion of the Mississippi flotillas, but in all foreseeable future, we will have to continue to prioritize our deployments.

I note that you have not requested any specific reinforcements. This may be just as well, since we have problems raising new units in any part of the Union these days. However, I strongly recommend that you in the future are clear in what you consider to be your most pressing needs, since I'd hate for much needed men and material to be wasted on (relatively speaking) useless units and equipment.

Also, please note that railways that are transporting troops aren't transporting supplies, making it difficult for e.g. Grant to fill up his new depot in Humboldt. We will be increasing our rail capacity, but in the meantime, make sure that you aren't tying up engines and cars in any excessive way.

A. Lincoln[/font]
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Mon May 14, 2007 9:50 pm

[font="Fixedsys"][RIGHT]Executive Mansion, Washington D.C.
May 12th, 1862[/RIGHT]

Concerning: The use of the Mississippi river flotillas

General,

in the days since receiving your request for a change in the way the Mississippi flotillas are deployed, I have been discussing the matter further with Secretary Welles, and a conclusion has been reached.

Rather than making the concentration of our forces the main rule, we will from now on make it the exception. We have seen little to no evidence of Confederate ships, and till we do, our ships don't need to gather up for mutual protection and support.

The length of the Tennessee from Fort Henry to Decatur has been divided between the available gunboat squadrons, and they should thereby be able to prevent confederate forces and supply from crossing anywhere in those areas. Additionally, a squadron will be patrolling the Clinch River up to Knoxville, which should be of help to General Thomas' advance into that area.

A. Lincoln[/font]

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Mon May 28, 2007 9:16 am

[font="Courier New"][RIGHT]HEADQUARTERS OF THE WEST,
St. Louis, Mo., Late May 1862[/RIGHT]
HON. EDWIN McMASTERS STANTON, Secretary of War:

SIR: I have the honor to report to you the latest military developments in the Western Department; and also to forward to you some specific policy requests from my various army commanders.

Firstly, Maj. Gen. Curtis reports that Missouri remains in the grip of a deluge. Constant rains and muddy roads have rendered an advance into Arkansas impractical for the time being; in fact a divisions worth of new recruits are so mired down on boggy roads from the nearest railhead to Springfield, that they are not expected to reach Curtis before the end of June.

Secondly, Maj. Gen Pope has the honor to inform you that he has secured New Madrid, scattering the garrison there. In addition, Foote's ironclads have scouted out the river as far south as Memphis, and finds the city ripe for the taking; preliminary intelligence indicates that besides what looks to be it's regular compliment of garrison troops and fixed artillery, the only other forces present are those of the European Brigade (a Louisiana outfit). As soon as the forces in New Madrid can be reloaded onto transports the assault on Memphis shall commence.

Thirdly, Maj. Gen. Grant has carried out what has amounted to a reconassiance in force by cavalry of Madison Cty, TN, and reports that all is ready for his army to begin to move on Corinth. A clash with Sidney Johnston's army is inevitable; based on the intelligence gathered during the recent skirmish, Grant is confident conditions for success are favorable.

Fourthy, Maj. Gen. Buell reports the last two major towns in Kentucky have been secured, and the Cumberland gap has been secured. A move on Knoxville is now contemplated with Thomas' corps; Crittenden shall stay behine and try to improve our control of the various key railways in the state.

This brings up the first of the three heretofore mentioned requests. Specifically, Maj. Gen. Buell humbly requests that the President declare martial law in the state of Kentucky. I endorse this request, and also ask that the President consider extending it to Tennessee as well.

The second is request if from Maj. Genls. Grant and Pope; they request that you delegate operational control of all river forces in the department to department authority. Oft times a gunboat will be needed in strategic bend of the river some place, and having to seek permission from Washington in every incident of this does indeed seem overly cumbersome.

The final request is from me, and that is: has a final determination been made as the disposition of New Orleans? Will it remain in the Eastern Department; or will it transfered to Western control?

Very respectfully, sir, I remain, your obedient servant,
[RIGHT]H.W. HALLECK,
Maj. Gen., Commanding[/RIGHT][/font]

Rafiki

Wed May 30, 2007 2:36 pm

[font="Fixedsys"][RIGHT]War Department, Washington D.C.
May 22th, 1862[/RIGHT]

First of all, I'd like to say that we are all quite encouraged by your advances along the Mississippi River. You have full support for your assault on Memphis. My only concern is that we have so little knowledge of what the Confederates may or may not have in reserve south and east of Memphis.

We are also looking forward to seeing Grant defeat Johnston. Grant securing Corinth should force Johnston to act, if for no other reason then to make sure his men have food to eat, and that might give you and Grant the choice of where battle will be fought; clearly an disadvantage for Johnston.

Please convey my thanks to Buell for the job he has done taking control of Kentucky. Even though there are some remnants of confederate units and sympathizers that need to be taken care of, I see no reason that Buell can't move some of his forces through the Cumberland Gap; quite the opposite.

As for Curtis, well, unless his engineers invent a weather machine of some sort, I'm afraid there isn't much we can do, is there.

We will declare martial law in the states you request, at least for the time being. It should, however, be our goal that we can restore things to normal within a foreseeable future. After all, this war is to ensure that the citizens of the south are as much citizens of the union as any citizen in the north.

As for your request to assume permanent control of the Mississippi flotillas, we support it. It is however something we must put before Congress, since they are the ones who have decided the operational constraints in place. Until Congress decides otherwise, we will continue to operate as we have done so far.

As for New Orleans, as long as it has to be reinforced from the East and supported by the Navy, it will remain part of Sphar's command. Once the Mississippi has been opened up in its entirety, it will be natural to take a new look at the areas of responsibility, but until that happens, we will let things remain as they are.

The Executive Mansion reports that the president is recovering well from his recent bout of illness, and should soon be able to resume his duties as Commander in Chief. I do know that he appreciates that his commanders are able to act independently and without having to have their every little move scrutinized and evaluated by their superior, such that whenever he is unable to respond to inquiries and suchlike, you are still able to fully uphold the war effort.

Yours respectfully,
E. Stanton
[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Spharv2

Thu May 31, 2007 11:36 pm

To: President Lincoln, Sec. of War Stanton

From: HQ - Army of the Potomac, Manassas, VA, May 4th, 1862
Gen. Sphar, Cmdr. US forces - Eastern Theater

Mr. President and Secretary,
Sir, I am most relieved to hear your recent illness is finally coming under control. Were that I had better news to impart, but once again, our generals have been overmatched by their rebel counterparts.

Rather than a coordinated movement to cut off and destroy Jackson's force in the Valley, it now appears that all that has been achieved is yet another blunder. Franklin's corps were slow in arriving, and in fact have still not arrived in their starting positions, which left Sumner's Corps alone to face the combined strength of Jackson and Longstreet, who has been heavily reinforced. I have ordered Gen Franklin to divert to Winchester in an an attempt to salvage what i can of the situation and still perhaps cut Jackson off, but the prospects appear dimmer now that Sumner is cautious. I fear that neither general will have the mettle to truly push their men to achieve what must be done. I have also moved Gen McDowell toward them, but as he is forced to march, he will most likely fail to arrive in time to lend any assistance.

With the heavy reinforcements in the Valley, I know the forces facing us in northern Virginia must be weakened, but once again, Gen McClellan has reverted to his defensive ways, and refuses to move until reinforced. I am doing what I can to form another division to give to him in the hopes that I can convince him to at least demonstrate toward Johnston to relieve the pressure off of his men in the Valley, but the reinforcements will not arrive before the fortnight is up. Hopefully it will not be too late.

Fremont has notified me that he is now a week out of Christianburg, though he still insists on moving in slowly and not pressing an immediate assault. Hopefully his numbers will serve to overawe the small garrison there, as his generalship certainly will not. Still, if he can succeed in taking that place, he will be astride an important rail line, and should be able to threaten the Valley from an unexpected direction.

Burnside has finally announced that he is ready to commence his attack on Hardeeville, and none too soon. If he can, as expected, drive the enemy from his path, the road to Savannah will be opened, and I have him proceed there as swiftly as possible. His detachment has crossed the river and begun their rail destruction, which should help to isolate the area.

The small expeditions in Florida both went well, facing no real resistance, aside from a few potshots and insults. They will remain in position for now to remind the populations that we are not going away this time.

Gen Butler has detached a small force to capture the forts below New Orleans. Their progress will be slowed by the dismal terrain they are forced to march through, but opening the delta up for our ships is imperative.

We must be patient now and see how the attacks in the Valley go. If unsuccessful, I am considering the retreat of the entire Army of the Potomac to lines behind it's namesake river, or the possibility of an even more large scale attack on the Valley, though if the battles there go poorly now, there will probably be small chance to recover from it immediately. Our generals simply lack the drive and initiative to understand how to deal with setbacks. These next few weeks could well decide the course of the war in the East for the foreseeable future. I will submit my prayers for victory, even as I do all that is humanly possible to ensure it.

I am most respectfully your obedient servant,

L.H.Sphar, Gen.

Rafiki

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:45 pm

[font="Fixedsys"][RIGHT]Executive Mansion, Washington D.C.,
May 24th, 1862[/RIGHT]

To: General Sphar

General,

I am truly disheartened by the mediocrity of so many of our generals. I have no doubt about the courage and the mettle of our soldiers, but we cannot expect them to run at the Confederates like so many headless chickens when their leaders fail to do what is expected.

Nor am I too happy about the developments along the Shenandoah; to put it mildly, my optimism is less than what it has been previously. I do however believe that you are doing the best that your available forces (and generals) make possible and that you will continue to do so. I.e. you have my continuing full support in your plan for defeating the Confederate forces in these areas.

I appreciate your reports of progress from other areas. We could perhaps start planning for reinforcing Butler and/or Burnside, but doing so must of course in no way lessen our efforts immediately south of the Potomac.

A. Lincoln[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:18 pm

May 25th, 1862[/RIGHT]

To: Generals Sphar and Halleck
In regards to: Leadership

Gentlemen,

as General Sphar's latest report shows, we have a significant problem with the leadership of many of our commands. Too often have opportunities been wasted and good situations turned bad by inaction and lack of courage.

It is therefore of the utmost importance that all commanders be evaluated and that the best be placed where they can do the most. This will mean that the command structure of our armies may see changes, and I will be much surprised if it doesn't.

You are, of course, largely free to structure your respective commands as you see fit, but this may even mean that there might be transfers between the theaters, and I would like to say in advance that this is in no way meant to reflect on you two, as I have no reason to complain about the ways you have undertaken your responsibilities so far. Rather, it must be seen at what is best for the nation as a whole.

To be more specific, I am especially looking for good candidates for army and corps command within the Army of the Potomac.

As I am sure you are aware, this is a delicate matter. Too many generals have too many friends in high places, and until we have a plan for how we wish to restructure our commands (perhaps we shall not for the time being), there is no need for anyone else to be aware of this, and I ask of you to treat this matter with the utmost discretion and to discuss it with me, Stanton and each other only for the time being.

Respectfully,
A. Lincoln[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:46 pm

[font="Fixedsys"][RIGHT]War Department, Washington D.C.
May 26th, 1862[/RIGHT]

In regards to: Command of the Mississippi flotillas

General,

you'll be happy to hear that Congress has decided that the command of the Mississippi flotillas should be structured as we have requested.

You are hereby informed that as of today, Admirals Foote and Porter and all riverine ships in the Mississippi Basin and on the Great Lakes have been placed under your command.

Yours respectfully,
E. Stanton
[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:51 pm

[font="Courier New"][RIGHT]DEPARTMENT OF THE MISSISSIPPI,
St. Louis, Mo., Early June 1862[/RIGHT]

SIR: I have the satisfaction of forwarding to you the following dispatch from Maj. Gen. Grant, now headquartered in Jackson, Tennessee.

In addition, please convey to Maj. Gen. Burnside my hearty congratulations on his victory in South Carolina. As significant as this recent victory over Sidney Johnston may be, the successful conclusion of the siege of Hardeeville, complete with capture of guns, prisoners, stores and ammunition, is sure to raise the spirits of patriotic souls throughout the Union.

[RIGHT]H.W. HALLECK,

(inclosure):

[font="Courier New"][RIGHT]ARMY OF THE TENNESSEE,
Jackson, Tn., June 1, 1862[/RIGHT]
Major General Henry W. Halleck, Commander, Department of the Mississippi:

GENERAL: I have the honor to report to you on the actions fought by the army under my command, in the vicinity of Madison County, Tennessee.

On the 16th ultimo, I commenced the movement south towards Corinth, crossing the Forked Deer River with the reserve forces under my direct command, and the corps of Maj. Gen. McClernand. On the same date, troops of the corps under Maj. Gen. Lew Wallace were debarking at Humbolt station, being railed in from Columbus. Maj. Gen. Heintzelman's cavalry set forth for nearby Dyersburg, arriving on the 19th ultimo.

Arriving at Jackson on the 23rd ultimo, we observed rebel troops in retreat from our forces, and were unable to bring them to battle on that date.

On the 24th ultimo, however, we managed to catch a much smaller rebel detachment under General Hindman, and in a sharp skirmish inflicted 786 casualties vs. 96 of our own. We also took 200 prisoners and one stand of regimental colors (a militia unit).

Interrogation of the prisoners revealed that A.S. Johnston's entire army was indeed nearby, attempting to fall back to Corinth, apparantly.

We finally came upon Johnston's road weary troops making a river crossing of their own on the 28th ultimo, and in a fierce one-sided engagement we literally blasted them off the field. 9,263 enemy casualties vs. 2,154 of our own. As I had hoped, our 20lb Parrotts and other artillery achieved superior execution in this open countryside. We also took 200 emeny prisoners, and a further stand of regimental colors (this one from a Zouave regiment).

Not content to allow the defeated rebel forces to retire with impunity, a portion of my army (the reserve, plus McClernand's corps) engaged a rear guard of Johnston's army on the next day; we were again victorious, but not quite to the extent of the two prior battles; 2,354 enemy casualties vs. 1,958 of our men.

Further efforts to catch the fleeing rebels on the 29th ultimo were unsuccessful (they were all running very fast by this time, no doubt) and reports indicate they are now massed at Corinth, licking their wounds.

All told, in three engagements we have inflicted 12,403 enemy casualties, and taken 400 prisoners, set against 4,208 of our own dead and wounded. I would like to single out for commendation Maj. Gen. Wallace and his subordinate Brig. Gen. Hurlbut; their timely arrival from Humbolt helped bring the enemy forces to bay in the first two of these three engagements.

My inclination now is for an immediate advance on Corinth, with Wallace's corps now taking the lead. McClernand's corps and the reserve troops are in fairly good shape, but McClernand reports his ammunition stocks are nearly exhausted.

I am, sir, your obedient servant,
[RIGHT]U.S. GRANT,

Spharv2

Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:02 pm

From: HQ - Army of the Potomac, Manassas, VA, June 12th, 1862

Our defenses in the Valley have now nearly completely collapsed. Gen Banks should be commended for his stubborn defense of Harper's Ferry despite going against the best the rebels can throw at him, but I don't know how much longer he can continue to resist. I detached Sumner's corps from the Army of the Potomac and reassigned it to Banks in the hope he can provide support. We must decide whether to continue the defense of Harper's Ferry or pull back now to defend further north. I would not like to give up the city, but losing the city itself is nothing beside losing an entire army.

Gen Stuart appears to be attempting a deep raid, but that is not of any large concern. We have more than sufficient forces to deal with him, as he found out in his abortive attack on Annapolis. I am attempting to bring all the elements of the failed attempt at forming a cavalry division under Kearney together north of Washington. Events in the Valley prevented us from combining the forces, so this move by Stuart has provided some further emphasis.

Speaking of the Annapolis area, I would now like to keep Gen King and his division in the East for the present. I don't know if units were being pulled from the western areas, or the rebels have just been pulling in every available man, but we've gone from having a near 2-1 advantage in numbers to something more like equality. In the interests of defending the capital, we must sacrifice out hopes for a quick offensive in the New Orleans area.

For the moment, I am leaving the Army of the Potomac in it's current positions. They are now consolidated and can mutually support each other. If Jackson can defeat Banks and take Harper's Ferry, I will reconsider pulling back behind the Potomac line, but I do not want to abandon our defensive positions at this time. As reinforcements are consolidated in the Baltimore/Annapolis area, they will be shifted forward. If enough force can be obtained, I will also look again at the possibility of an advance southward to press the Confederates. If I cannot attack in the Valley, then I must press them elsewhere so they cannot dictate the terms of battle to us.

Gen. Fremont has arrived and besieged Christianburg, after another exchange of telegrams, I have convinced him to immediately move upon their works. I expect resistance to be light, and the city to be in our hands quickly. From there I will immediately construct a depot and send forces to tear up rail lines westward, while I correspond with Fremont concerning his next move.

Gen. Burnside was successful in his assault on Hardeeville, unfortunately, the enemy had numerous artillery units in the city, and Burnside took more casualties than expected before capturing the guns. He will need time to rest and refit before he can continue his advance.

As for what is needed most in my area of operations, I can only emphasize that we need replacements more than reinforcements currently. My forces are built and ready for the most part, but the recent battles have reduced many regiments to skeletons of their former selves. I know the manpower situation is critical, but as soon as it is possible to call up more men and fill our replacement pools, we need to do so. If we can't, we risk the complete destruction of many regiments.

L.H.Sphar, Gen.

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:30 am

SIR: I concur with General Sphar on the need for more replacements.

In addition, I wish to pass on the following bit of news from Maj. Gen. Curtis out in Missouri. It seems the rains have stopped, and he is ready to march into Arkansas, but finds that the Confederate army posted in Fayetteville has seemingly decided to abandon the town. The supply depot there has been torched as well.

This indicates to me a shift in enemy defense priorities, with the rebel troops under Van Dorn being transferred elsewhere.

If indeed they have decided to cede us northwestern Arkansas without a fight, this will, of course, make Curtis' task much easier. However, these rebel troops will show up elsewhere, making some other Union commander's task more difficult.

Assuming they boarded steamers on the Arkansas River, they could go practically anywhere along the Mississippi basin; some possible destinations for this force would be 1) Memphis; 2) Corinth; and 3) New Orleans. With the first two destinations being defensive in character, the third being ominously of a counter-offensive nature. Perhaps this warning should be forwarded onto Maj. Gen. Butler?

[RIGHT]H.W. HALLECK,

Rafiki

Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:25 pm

June 13th, 1862[/RIGHT]

To: Generals Sphar and Halleck

Gentlemen,

first of all, let me congratulate you on your successes these last few weeks, from Western Tennessee to the shores of Carolina. The fact that they are many does in no way lessen my joy over each and every one of them. That there also are setbacks is unfortunately unavoidable, but apart from the force lost at Effingham, we, unlike the rebels, have lost no regiments, and their losses in men seem larger than ours, while being harder to bear, I imagine.

To address your main concern first; we are indeed in dire need of new men to our existing units. Until we have a satisfactory situation when it comes to our current rosters, the raising of new army units shall be the exception rather than the rule. At the end of this month, I will issue a new call for volunteers, which hopefully will provide a significant step towards covering your needs for new men.

General Sphar,

though I don't like to read reports of Confederates north of the Potomac, I too am not alarmed. As you say, the garrisons in the area should be able to deal with this force, should it attack somewhere. The biggest problem it may cause is breaking rail lines, as this may hinder the shifting of our forces and of reinforcements and supplies being brought forward. Deal with it as you see fit.

Neither am I too alarmed about Longstreet and Jackson. Though the forces are of some size, especially Jackson's, my reports indicate that they have not brought too much supply with them, and a look on the map shows that they should have significant problems bringing supplies forward to these units.

I believe this is the key to defeating these forces. make sure that their supply lines are at the very least tenuous and shaky and hopefully outright broken, then engage the forces on terms that are not unfavorable to us, and simply let them spend their bullets and their men till they have no choice but to retreat or outright surrender. Their closest friends are too far away to be of any use in the

With that in mind, Banks should remain in place, especially as long as he has no combat losses and still has supplies for his men. If possible, a detachment could travel up the Shenandoah and deny its use as a supply base for the Confederates, tearing up the rail lines to slow down any retreat they might undertake.

I concur that King should not be sent far away at this time, but I wish that you reconsider deploying his division by sea to the Richmond area, if not Richmond itself. The confederates seem to have few units there, and at th every least, such a move may divert reinforcements otherwise destined for Northern Virginia. Farragut and his ships are already in Annapolis and they have ample room for King and his men.

Burnside has done a commendable job in securing Hardeeville. Please let us know of any and all ways that the Navy can support him, both with supporting fire as well as with transport.

It is also good to hear that you were able to convince Fremont of taking action. Like King, Fremont may be able to threaten the confederates from a direction they'd rather not be threatened from.

General Halleck,

I would like to receive a report from you about Buell's further plans, and I also recommend that you discuss with General Sphar so that Buell coordinates his efforts with Fremont if and wherever possible.

I fully support Grant's advance on Corinth. If the Confederates are truly unbalanced now, I see no reason that they should be allowed to regain their footing.

I am surprised to hear that the confederates are giving up on Missouri, and we shall have to keep an eye out for van Dorn, wherever he may be headed. In light of this, there is no reason to delay an assault on Memphis, and I would like to see some of our gunboats on the Arkansas and perhaps even on the White River, to provide intelligence and to stop Confederate forces from crossing said rivers. Curtis' should fill the vacuum left, and I would very much like to see him in Little Rock sooner rather than later, stopping wherever needed along the way to secure his flanks and rear. I'm sure Butler appreciates your word of warning, and I shall instruct the Navy to send ships up the Mississippi to provide advance warning of any forces coming down that way.

Gentlemen,

in conclusion I'd like to say I remain optimistic for our cause. Our armies are as strong or stronger than they have ever been, and we have gained significant ground in many places. I am confident that you and your men will meet the challenges ahead in the best of ways and together, we shall mend this union and restore it to its former self.

Respectfully,
A. Lincoln[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Spharv2

Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:10 pm

From: HQ - Army of the Potomac, Manassas, VA, June 12th, 1862

My apologies, it seems my mind is slipping, I have indeed been considering a coastal landing of King's Division in Virginia, but apparently only discussed it in private and neglected to bring the matter up to you. I am still unsure whether a direct assault on the Confederate capital would be a wise action, but an assault on Norfolk or perhaps further up the coast at Petersburg. If we do proceed on this, we need to ensure that we have plenty of transports available, because if we place these forces that close to their capital, the rebels will have no choice but to come down on our invasion force with overwhelming strength. This necessitates that we be able to evacuate them at a moment's notice or face their loss.

This cannot be done immediately though. The rebels have surely been informed of Fremont's presence in western Virginia, and must shift forces to deal with him. If they wish to defend Savannah, they will also be shifting forces south to deal with Gen. Burnside. The time to make this move might be in two weeks to a month, once those forces have been shifted even further away from the coastal areas. Not to mention that until Stuart is dealt with, we cannot afford to move troops under his eye.

Speaking of Stuart, I am not too worried about the possibility of him breaking rail lines. We have an unoccupied colored brigade in Pennsylvania that can be put to work repairing those lines. Hopefully, Stuart will quickly be too occupied with our forces to do too much damage. I would have been far more concerned if he had made a wider sweep, but it appears that his nose for the spectacular rather than the simply useful has once again cost him a chance to cause significant problems.

Banks will remain in place as per your wishes. Hopefully, with Sumner there to support him, he will be able to continue to tie up the majority of Johnston's army's offensive power. Unfortunately, I cannot send any troops up the Valley to work on his supply lines, as the rebel patrols are too heavy. So long as we hold Manassas Junction though, a direct rail route to his forces cannot be completed.

If we can successfully coordinate the movements of Fremont, King, and hopefully, McClellan, we should be able to send the Confederate army scampering back toward Richmond to defend their capital. We are sorely pressed in places at the moment, but the rebels have concentrated nearly all of their force on the front lines, leaving their rear areas vulnerable. Taking advantage of this fact can be the difference between victory and defeat.

L.H.Sphar, Gen.

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:36 am

SIR: Maj. Gen. Buell is working simulataneously towards three objectives as the current time: 1) Securing the rail lines through Kentucky; 2) Securing the Cumberland Gap and threatening Knoxville; and 3) Securing central Tennessee.

Buell and his corps under Crittenden are engaged in the fulfillment of objective 1. An unglamourous yet necessary task.

Thomas has secured the Gap in accordance with objective 2, but finds Knoxville strongly defended by a well entrenched division under E.K. Smith. Knox Cty being a position of great natural defense in it's own right, it looks to be more than Thomas can handle on his own. So, for now he will mark time by helping out with objective 1 in the area around the gap, keeping an eye on Smith at Knoxville.

A detached division under McCook is heading back to Nashville, and from there will engage in objective 3, with the towns of Pulaski and Winchester, Tn, being his immediate goals.

As soon as these three immediate objectives are attained, a drive on Chattanooga later this year is envisioned (we may just screen Knoxville, if the enemy insists on having it that strongly defended); beyond that, Atlanta.

[RIGHT]H.W. HALLECK,

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:52 am

SIR: As for Maj. Gen. Pope's Mississippi Command, and Commodore Foote, Pope is loading onto transports now in New Madrid as we speak, bound for the Hatchies Confluent and a landing at Memphis.

Commodore Foote does indeed intend to run the Memphis defenses this turn with 4 of his 5 warships. He is hesistant to venture much further south while Memphis remains in enemy hands. There are also reports of a large CSA ironclad present in Memphis, which argues for caution; however, many new ships are currently under construction, and are earmarked for Foote's command once completed.

[RIGHT]H.W. HALLECK,

Rafiki

Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:23 am

June 14th, 1862[/RIGHT]

In regards to: Use of General King's division

General,

I agree that King should remain in place for the tie being. However, keep in mind that due to planning and preparations, in order for a force to land in Virginia from the sea within a month, it needs to receive orders to ship out within a fortnight. We shall await what Stuart has in store for us in the following weeks, but barring any major unforeseen events, I believe King should ship out no later than late June.

I further agree that we need to plan any landing carefully. My suggestion would be to let King land in an area with no opposition in order to establish a beachhead and to ascertain the forces in the vicinity. Such an area might be Henrico, where both Richmond and Petersburg may be immediately threatened. The exact landing site can of course be determined at a later date, perhaps even when King is in situ.

I also concur with your assessment that the Confederates have moved the bulk of their forces forward, and that this presents opportunities that we need to take advantage of. Though they are able to focus their forces to a point where they may outnumber us locally, doing so can only happen by weakening themselves elsewhere, and as you say, this is something we must use to our advantage.

Respectfully,
A. Lincoln[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:43 am

June 14th, 1862[/RIGHT]

General,

thank you for the clarifications.

Though I very much would've liked to see reports from Confederate movements along the Arkansas at this point, I understand your reasons for caution. Make sure to either shoot that Confederate ironclad out of the water or to seize it at the docks in Memphis.

Once Memphis has been taken, I wish to see your plans for securing control of the Mississippi south from there and if you see any possibilities of supporting Curtis in his move on Little Rock.

Respectfully,
A. Lincoln[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:03 pm

[font="Fixedsys"][RIGHT]Department of the Navy, Washington D.C.,
Jun 14th, 1862[/RIGHT]

In regards to: Naval support for the operations in the Mississippi delta

General,

The transport ships "Portland" and "San Jacinto" have been directed to New Orleans to provide sea transport capabilities for your operations in the Mississippi delta and will remain under your command till those operations have reached a conclusion.

Additionally, a small fleet under Admiral Pearson will first scout up the Mississippi river to ascertain the presence of Confederate forces in Baton Rouge and environs, and thereafter provide fire support for your assaults on forts Jackson and St Philip.

Respectfully.
Gideon Welles
Secretary of the Navy[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:49 pm

Jun 15th, 1862[/RIGHT]

To: General Sphar, HQ - Army of the Potomac, Alexandria, VA
In regards to: Deterioration of the Kanawha railline

I am afraid I may have some bad news. A recent survey undertaken by one of our engineers indicates that the railline going north from Christianburg along the Kanawha river may turn out to be unfit for use. Numerous bridges adn extended portions of the track have almost been washed away by the floods following the spring snowmelting in the Appalachians. The extent of damages and the damages we expect to see as the flooding continues are are such that we soon will be suspending all railroad traffic along that line till repairs can be done, which unfortunately because of the scarcity of resources and men available for railroad maintenenance and repairs war may not be for a year or two, possibly not even till the war is over.

I expect this to have quite severe an impact on General Fremont's operations at Christianburg, seeing as we do not know how long we can provide him with supplies efficiently. Please provide your view on this situation and whether or not Gen. Fremont and his force should be withdrawn and possibly used in other places.

Yours respectfully,

E Stanton,
Secretary of War[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:04 am

SIR: Thomas and McCook report the transportation links leading north out of Knoxville are in fact mere bridle paths, which were mismarked as rail lines due to a cartographic error.

[RIGHT]H.W. HALLECK,

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:37 am

Cairo, Il., Late June 1862[/RIGHT]

SIR: Reports in from the various western amies of my department are as follows -

Western Command: Maj. Gen. Curtis has captured Fayetteville, AR. Enemy Transmississippi army under Van Dorn no where in sight; abandonment of Fayetteville and it's depot stores suggests it has redeployed elsewhere.

Curtis proposes to take Fort Smith to secure his flank, then march eastwards to his next major objective, Little Rock.

As far as additional resources go, his troop levels are more than aquedate, what with the lack of serious opposition; the biggest obstacles he faces are weather and supply in the region. I'd like to request a few more supply wagons be created for him, as well as an additional cavalry regiment or two to deal with attacks by partisans and Indian raiders on his long and tenuous supply line through Missouri.

Mississippi Expedition:Commodore Foote has smashed a rebel navy outside Memphis, sinking 3 warships. And Maj. Gen. Pope is poised to begin landing near there.

A new infantry brigade or two, and more supply wagons (for depot construction), are highest on this force's request list as of this time. Naval strength seems more than adequate; in fact, once Memphis falls, and 4 more ironclads under construction come on line, we will be masters of the Mississippi. Tentative plans already call for reinforcements to Curtis in Arkansas to be sent in by river, rather than the onerous overland journey through Missouri.

Army of the Tennessee : Maj. Gen. Grant has suffered a repulse at Corinth. Or to be more accurate, his subordinate, Maj. Gen. McClernand. I am en route now to discover the exact cause of this setback; hence the source of this dispatch as Cairo, rather than St. Louis. Early reports attribute the defeat to McClernand not calling on army level reserves in time to arrive at the battle. As soon as I reach Jackson, if need be, I shall relieve McClernand of command, sending him to Cairo to await further instructions. While there he can use his political acumen in recruiting, an area of talent he has far surpassing his martial skills.

As to whom should replace him as corps commander, I am going to humbly suggest myself.

According to Grant, while the army as a whole is still in fine shape and ready to continue to assail the enemy, many brigades and regiments are worn out, in need of reorganization and replacements before fighting on. I propose to form an "Invalid Corps" behind the lines, so as to use my army organizational skills to get these brigades back up to fighting trim as soon as possible.

As far as resources, Grant is facing the largest rebel army in the department, no doubt about it. New infantry brigades are of the highest priority.

Army of the Cumberland: Maj. Gen. Buell is pleased to announce the rail line from Cincinatti to Nashville has resumed service. However, as supply and communications problems abound in the region, and as such, Buell requests more cavalry, 4 or 5 regiments, or as many as can be raised by the national government given it's other priorities. Also, since it appears the Gap to Knoxville is now too well defended to advance through, it may be a good idea to construct a fort there. For this purpose, 4 new artillery batteries (of any calibre, 6 lbers will do) and two new supply wagons will be required. Such a fort will allow a mere brigade to hold the Gap, allowing Thomas' corps to redeploy somewhere more useful (such as for a drive on Chattanooga).

[RIGHT]H.W. HALLECK,

Spharv2

Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:06 am

From: HQ - Army of the Potomac, Manassas, VA, June 24th, 1862

My first order of business must be the transfer of King's Division. Burnside's force has had the tables turned on them by the rebels, and is now holed up in Hardeeville. He is unable to retreat, and has been cut off from the sea, so cannot be pulled out by the navy. His army took relatively serious casualties in the assault on that town, and the fact that we have no replacements to send him means that his force has simply been whittled down. In order that his force is not lost, I have instructed Gen. King to board transports for immediate transfer to South Carolina. Hopefully he can get there in time.

Second, the abortive assault on Western Virginia is unfortunate, as we were in position to deal a fairly significant blow to the Confederates, but Fremont's recall will provide us with an opportunity to further reinforce Banks in Harper's Ferry. So long as he can continue to hold out for at least another fortnight. I have instructed Fremont to relinquish command of his Army of West Virginia, and to subordinate himself to Banks as soon as he approaches close enough to get a message to him. This means that we have an additional Army HQ staff unemployed in West Virginia, if those men are needed elsewhere, they are yours to command. I currently have little use for them.

I am sending additional supplies to Gen Sumner to facilitate the building of a supply depot on the north side of the Potomac to help sustain our position if Harper's Ferry falls. Also, Gen Kearney should finally have his cavalry division pulled together within the week. Once they are assembled, I can only hope that Gen Stuart shows himself on the north bank of the Potomac, as Kearney should be able to run him down, hopefully for good.

There is little to report with the Army of the Potomac. The strengthening of positions at Manassas continues, and McClellan is now in charge of a very significant force. Unfortunately, the rebel positions around Harper's Ferry would preclude an offensive even if I could manage to convince the illustrious general to undertake one. Once the situation in the Valley is resolved, one way or another, the Army should regain some freedom of movement. As it is, moving would simply abandon solid defensive works and open gaps in our lines.

Our move to take the Mississippi delta forts has had to be recalled. The terrain is simply too difficult to ask the men to march through, and we were in danger of those units simply melting away. If we are to capture those positions, it will have to be another seaborne assault. I would prefer to wait a bit on that though, unless it can be done immediately. I cannot believe that the rebels will simply let their largest city go without at least an attempt to recapture it. And with the dispatch of King to hopefully secure one trouble spot, I simply don't have much left to send to Butler, though Gen. Ord may be available soon.

There is little else to report, good or bad. The situation in the East has simply become a waiting game. Why Jackson and Longstreet have failed to at least try to carry the works at Harper's Ferry is beyond me. If it is an attempt to stall for time, it is working, but to use the better part of their most important army in a simple holding attack would seem foolish. If the situation does not change soon, I may try to stir some things up to see what their reaction is. If they are simply attempting to spoil any move forward on our part, then the siege will be lifted as soon as we make a threatening move.

L.H.Sphar, Gen.

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:23 am

[font="Courier New"][RIGHT]MISSISSIPPI RIVER SQUADRON,
Edmunds Ferry, Tn., Late June 1862[/RIGHT]
Hon. GIDEON WELLES, Secretary of the Navy:

SIR: Regarding the situation of Maj. Gen Burnside in Hardeeville...could not the town be evacuated by sea, to perhaps Fort Pulaski? There are rebel batteries in Savannah, but could they not be run with adequate transport capacity and protection; say, using Farragut's fleet?

As you know, we ran past similar batteries in Memphis last week, and managed to sneak past; did not even get shot at. Based on our experience, I think a smilar exploit is achievable here.

In fact, it seems to me you would not actually need to sail into Hardeeville to embark the force; after arrival at the stretch of river adjacent to the town, the troops could then be loaded via small boats. Under this plan, Burnside will just need to hold on for two weeks.

I am, &c,
[RIGHT]Commodore Andrew Hull Foote,
Commanding[/RIGHT][/font]

Rafiki

Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:21 pm

Late June, 1862[/RIGHT]

General,

thank you for your report.

I have no objections to you assuming command of units in your command directly, as long as you deem that there is no chance of unclarities in the chain of command depending on which hat you are wearing at any given moment, and that you will be able to perform any and all duties as demanded by all your assumed commands. I trust that you have thought these things through, and that your staff (or staffs, as it may be) is fully prepared for the situation it is facing.

On a personal note, I am happy to see my generals move towards the sound of the guns and commend you on your move.
I am happy to hear that Western Command is advancing to the Arkansas. If all goes as planned (as they are so far), supply should be able to follow the same route as the one you suggest for reinforcements, and I am afraid that by the time we are able to get supply regiments assembled and moved forward, his needs may have changed. However, I do not think strengthening our overall supply capabilities will hurt, so we should probably call up such regiments anyway.

Your other requests for reinforcements have been noted, and I hope to see Stanton fulfill them, at least mostly.

Respectfully,
A. Lincoln[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:45 pm

Late June, 1862[/RIGHT]

General,

I too am concerned about Burnside's situation. Farragut will set sail with King on board to either reinforce and support Burnside, or to evacuate what remains of Burnside's command. We shall have to see how the situation is when they arrive in the area. In the meantime, with our navy controlling the Savannah Mouth, I hope they'll be able to bring some supplies and replacements safely to the harbour at Hardeeville.

I support your dispositions concerning Fremont. I believe that the Confederates have merely been biding their time, waiting for Banks' food to run out while strengthening their forces for an upcoming assault. My reports indicate that Banks will run out of supply in about a month, so hopefully July will see us having an advantage in numbers in the area, enough so to force Jackson away preferably after dealing his force a heavy blow. However, if you are able to force their hand by seizing the initiative elsewhere, I would view that as a nice outcome of the situation as well.

I do hope that the forces that vacated the West are not underway to New Orleans, but as you say, there is little we can do to help Butler at this point. He will have to dig in with what he has and wait, while we look for new ways other than King's division to reinforce him. Ord may be a good choice, but I want to see his force strengthened more before being sent south.

Respectfully,
A. Lincoln[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Spharv2

Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:19 pm

From: HQ - Army of the Potomac, Manassas, VA, July 10th, 1862

It appears that Gen Burnside's defiant stand against the rebels who have him under siege was successful. Gen King has arrived and is set to immediately assault the forces facing Burnside. Given the disparity in strength between King and the rebels, he should have no problem breaking the enemy. So long as he does not sustain very high casualties in the attack, I will have him give Burnside some forces to ensure that Hardeeville remains under our control, then move quickly toward Savannah.

There is little else to report at the moment. Jackson continues to sit in his positions in front of Harper's Ferry. Given Gen Banks' supply situation in the town, I have instructed Gen Sumner to attempt to join and resupply him. Two weeks ago, I moved further supplies to join Sumner, so if he can get through Jackson's lines, the extra supply should be enough to prolong Banks' resistance. In addition, by the time he arrives, Fremont should be in position to support any movement. I am also moving Gen. McDowell back to the west. I will see if Gen. McClellan will allow the transfer of McDowell to Banks' army. If so, I will do so, and consider pressing an attack to break the siege.

Also leaving Alexandria is Fitzjohn Porter's Corps. I am moving him south and having him cross the Rappahannock below Fredricksburg. This will put him on AP Hill's flank. Once he arrives, I will be in a much better position if I do indeed attempt an attack on Fredricksburg. His positions are substantial, and moving him from them will be difficult.

Another option, so long as the situation in the Valley remains stable, would be to have the Navy pick Porter up, once he arrives and threatens the flank, then swing his corps further south. His corps is large enough to hold their own against a large Confederate force, and would present a large threat to their rear areas. If this course of action is decided on, I will need some additional time, as I would like to bring the army staff Fremont left behind, and any further supplies that can be gathered to send with him. Barring a major collapse in the Valley, this is the course of action I would recommend.

L.H.Sphar, Gen.

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:19 am

Jackson, Tn., Early July 1862[/RIGHT]

SIR: I have the honor to report on the following developments in my department:

Western Command: Maj. Gen. Curtis is advancing on Little Rock. The main rebel opposition in the region seems to be a cavalry division under Texan Ben McCulloch, based in Fort Smith. Bewteen Waties indians, Quantrill's bushwackers, and now this large cavary formation, Curtis will have difficulties remaining supplied in the region. All the more important to open a river route to the Arkansas, sooner rather than later. Unfortunately...

Mississippi Expedition:Pope's landing at Memphis did not go well, by and large. Although he did manage to invest the city, excessive confusion and casulaties has rendered Pope's small army "hors de combat" for the time being. To prevent a total distintrgaration of his command in the event of a rebel counterattack, he has orders to rail to Humboldt for safety and replenishment.

Foote's naval force won another engagement. Since Pope is falling back, however, the commodore shall likewise retire to Cairo for a brief spell, to rest, resupply, and to repair various dents amd skuff marks on his ships.

Three new Cairo class river ironclads are due to be launched in two weeks, which should allow Foote the freedom to penetrate down the Mississippi even further south. Perhaps even to deliver some wagons to Curtis on the Arkansas.

Army of the Tennessee : Words cannot describe the human misery and suffering at our military hospitals here. I am doing what I can to bring cohesiveness back to these shattered formations, but it is a tall task.

Despite an encouraging initial sanguinary victory, Grant appears stymied in front of Corinth. The enemy seems to have been reinforced there, to roughly even numbers (?) and both sides took a beating in those forests. A period of rest is now needed before the offensive can resume, making the situation now basically a long-distance siege. Besides rest, Grant's most pressing needs seem to be 1) replacements (fortunately these seem to be well stocked...for now); 2) new infantry brigades; 3) stealthy sharpshooters, to sieze the initiative in these slyvan battles.

The one silver lining is that enemy casualties are reported to be quite severe as well, with whole units having been decimated (Grant having taken 10 or so regimental colors as proof of this).

Army of the Cumberland: Thomas has captured Chattanooga! And taken the rebel depot there intact, with huge store of supplies and ammunition. Buell is in Nashville, and will advance his forces south to link up with Chattanooga. Gunboats are also on the move to block the river crossings about Knoxville, where a sizable army under Van Dorn (yes that's where he went) is posted.

[RIGHT]H.W. HALLECK,
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
[CENTER][SIZE="1"](Click HERE for AAR)[/size][/CENTER]

Rafiki

Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:27 pm

Early July, 1862[/RIGHT]

General,

Amongst them, King and Burnside should be able to carry the day. If not we shall have to reconsider our strategy in the Savannah area. My only concern is that King may be vulnerable while disembarking, but Farragut will remain in the area to provide fire support along with the 11. Fleet.

I support your plans for the Valley, though I am worried that Banks passiveness may leave relieving forces battling Jackson alone without support from within Harper's Ferry. I am also concerned that Sumner may be engaged by Jackson immediately upon crossing the Potomac, but I see no other choice given that time is running out. If you wish for more regiments of marines to be raised to stand better prepared for such situations, let Stanton know.

I intend to let Farragut provide Porter with a naval option, but he will not be available till late July/early August. However, as things stand today, I cannot let Porter assume command should we decide to form an independent army centered on Porter's troops, so we will have to find a more suitable commander. What is your view on forming an army under Burnside?

In any case, a squadron of brigs is being assembled in Annapolis, so as to be able provide transport for the headquarter staff formerly under Fremont no matter what we decide they should do. I suggest ordering the HQ to Annapolis, at least till they receive other orders.

Respectfully,
A. Lincoln[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:52 pm

Early July, 1862[/RIGHT]

General,

First of all, please convey my congratulations to Thomas! The capture of Chattanooga is good news indeed, especially as it places Atlanta within our reach and should undermine any defensive strategy the Confederates have planned for Tennessee.

Thomas' successful advance also provides some light to an otherwise bleak report. I had not expected setbacks both in Memphis and outside Corinth. It is my view that, once the formations have had time to reorganize, the primary target should be Memphis, while Corinth should be screened till it can be dealt with in (even larger) force. As you say, the supply situation in the west depends on the Mississippi being opened at least as far south as Bolivar, and it will also give us a possibility of landing larger forces as far south as Vicksburg, which I imagine may give the Confederates more places to spread their troops than they care for.

With this in mind, I fully support a strengthening of Foote's command, and I would also like to hear your assessment of which criteria need to be fulfilled before we can start shifting gunships from the Tennessee and Cumberland rivers onto the Mississippi proper.

Respectfully,
A. Lincoln[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:07 pm

Late July, 1862[/RIGHT]

Please inform General Wallace at his current headquarters in Madison, Tennessee that he is to transfer east and place himself under General Sphar's command at the earliest opportunity. General Sphar will provide details as to exactly where Wallace shall travel and which duties he is to assume.

Respectfully,
A. Lincoln[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Return to “Grand Campaign I (archive)”