aryaman

Replacements

Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:34 pm

Hi
I would like to discuss the use of replacements in the mod.
First, historically, only replacements for Roman legions are attested (Livy in some paragraphs states that legions were brought up to strength).
In fact, the normal procedure up to 1650 for European armies, with very few exceptions (usually guard units) was not to use replacements, but to recruit new units every time.
So, my first idea was to give replacements only to the Roman units. It would feel historically wrong to have replacements for the Numidian cavalry fighting in Italy, for instance. However there is a concern here, units that don´t get replacements would get wore down (as historically did) but as they get weaker they wil be increasingly more vulnerable to be eliminated in battle, giving up NM points to the opponent. that could be an unfair advantage to the Roman Player.
So, I wonder what to do
I solution could be if understrength units could merged together, but i am afraid that is not possible with our present engine, right?
Any other ideas?

PhilThib

Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:42 pm

The merging feature is under study indeed :cwboy:

Pocus

Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:27 am

you can remove the VP cost for all models but the most prestigious ones perhaps. Or give them to leaders and increase their death chance after battle.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

aryaman

Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:45 am

Pocus wrote:you can remove the VP cost for all models but the most prestigious ones perhaps. Or give them to leaders and increase their death chance after battle.

The problem I see with removing VP cost is that the NM points value of battles would be eliminated.
Another Idea could be to increase the VP cost of Roman units to balance somehow that they are less likely to be eliminated in battle...

Return to “Punic Wars Project”