jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Last flight of the Eagle: OOB

Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:01 pm

Based over Clash of Arms Emperor Returns boardbame, and having cross-checked data and informations with David Chandler Books here is the OOB and starting position for Prussian Forces, that should be used with Last flight of the Eagle NCP scenery.

Prussian Army of Lower Rhine > NAMUR
Feldmarschal Bluecher
Artillery Reserve, (*NONE)

I Arme Korps Lt.Gen. von Zeiten II > CHARLEROI
1 bgd von Steinmetz
2 bgd von Pirch II
3 bgd von Jagow
4 bgd von Donnersmarck*** (SCHUTTER)
1 bgd von Roeder Calvary
12 art batteries

III Arme Korps Lt.Gen. von Thielemann > GIVET
9 bgd von Borcke
10 bgd von Kampfen (KRAUSENECK)
11 bgd von Luck (WITTEN, *NO LEADER)
12 bgd von Stulpnagel (*NO LEADER)
3 bgd von Hobe Calvary
6 art batteries (10 ART. BATTERIES)

II Arme Korps Lt.Gen. von Pirch I > NAMUR
5 bgd von Tippelskirch
6 bgd von Krafft
7 bgd von Brause
8 bgd von Bose or von Langen!?
2 bgd von Jurgass Calvary
10 art batteries (12 ART. BATTERIES)

IV Arme Korps Gen. von Buelow > LIEGE
13 bgd von Hacke
14 bgd von Ryssel (FUNCK)
15 bgd von Losthin
16 bgd von Hiller (GAETRINGEN, *NO LEADER)
4 bgd Wilhelm von Preussen Calvary
11 art batteries

Notes:
in brackets I reported data from NCP game not matching.
example: 16 bgd von Hiller (GAETRINGEN, *NO LEADER)
This unit is identified as von Hiller Brigade in Chandler books and in Emperer Return game. It's reported as GAETRINGEN Brogade in NCP; no individual leader is present in NCP.

4 bgd von Donnersmarck*** according to D. Chandler figures out to be 4 bgd von Henkel in Clash of Arms Emperor Returns

FM WarB
Colonel

Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:46 pm

When studying oobs, if you want to be sure look at only one source. If you want to have doubt, look at many. I looked at many for an oob I did for a Belgium 1815 tactical computer wargame scenario. Here is how I adjudicated the differences noted above.

4 bde von Donnersmarck*** (SCHUTTER) Schutter is correct.
III Korps should be:
9th Bde von Borke with Feldbatterie #18 (6lb Fuss)
10th Bde von Kemphen with Feldbatterie #35 (6lb Fuss) This leader mia database file.
11th Bde von Luck This leader mia database file.
12th Bde von Stülpnagel This leader mia database file.
2/KavIII Rennbatterie # 20
III Korps Reserve Fussbatteie #7 (12lb) and Rennbatteries 18 and 19.

II Korps...von Bose and 10 Batteries are correct.
IV Korps 14 Bde Funck and 16 Bde Hiller are correct.

I suppose if you dont care about incorrect names, and/or dont want to make new models and units, you could substitute some other named leaders for the 11th and 12th Bde slots to make them Divisions.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:01 pm

Have troubles with
Gustav von der Decker, Hannoverian Reserve
A. Mackenzie Freser, 7th Anglo-German Division

These two units, present into Last Flight of the Eagle do not figure out in my sources......

Any help?

Thanks

JastaV

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:04 pm

FM WarB wrote:I suppose if you dont care about incorrect names, and/or dont want to make new models and units, you could substitute some other named leaders for the 11th and 12th Bde slots to make them Divisions.

I'm mostly worried about troops deployement.
Anyway I'm reporting anything strange I'll notice.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:15 pm

FM WarB wrote:When studying oobs, if you want to be sure look at only one source. If you want to have doubt, look at many. I looked at many for an oob I did for a Belgium 1815 tactical computer wargame scenario. Here is how I adjudicated the differences noted above.

4 bde von Donnersmarck*** (SCHUTTER) Schutter is correct.
III Korps should be:
9th Bde von Borke with Feldbatterie #18 (6lb Fuss)
10th Bde von Kemphen with Feldbatterie #35 (6lb Fuss) This leader mia database file.
11th Bde von Luck This leader mia database file.
12th Bde von Stülpnagel This leader mia database file.
2/KavIII Rennbatterie # 20
III Korps Reserve Fussbatteie #7 (12lb) and Rennbatteries 18 and 19.

II Korps...von Bose and 10 Batteries are correct.
IV Korps 14 Bde Funck and 16 Bde Hiller are correct.

I suppose if you dont care about incorrect names, and/or dont want to make new models and units, you could substitute some other named leaders for the 11th and 12th Bde slots to make them Divisions.

As you'll have noticed in the Prussian Army OOB I indicated some differences in the number of Art. Batteries for some Corps.
Perhaps few Art. Batteries should be moved from Corps to Army HQ so to create Blucher Artilery Reserve.

PhilThib

Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:45 pm

You could do so, but artillery is more helpful in the corps than in the reserve...anyway, just try it :cwboy:

Nikel

Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:57 pm

jastaV wrote:Have troubles with
Gustav von der Decker, Hannoverian Reserve
A. Mackenzie Freser, 7th Anglo-German Division

These two units, present into Last Flight of the Eagle do not figure out in my sources......

Any help?

Thanks

JastaV

In Osprey's monograph about Waterloo is cited a Hanoverian reserve corps commanded by Decken, with 12 hanoverian bns in garrisons. They are in Wellington's army, not the prussian.

There is a Fraser in the attached artillery to the cavalry corps, Wellington's army too

http://books.google.com/books?id=reKwqofqrgwC&pg=PA24&vq=decken&dq=osprey+waterloo+order+battle&lr=&as_brr=0&source=gbs_search_s&cad=5&sig=ACfU3U2r0nYqfVmEw7pBNCIMQ-m5RNTKXA

The prussian OOB is here

http://books.google.com/books?id=reKwqofqrgwC&pg=PA26&vq=jagow&dq=osprey+waterloo+order+battle&lr=&as_brr=0&source=gbs_search_s&sig=ACfU3U2FhqK-Pxwae0bME7dUxRi3JZFkJw

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:26 pm

Nikel wrote:In Osprey's monograph about Waterloo is cited a Hanoverian reserve corps commanded by Decken, with 12 hanoverian bns in garrisons. They are in Wellington's army, not the prussian.

There is a Fraser in the attached artillery to the cavalry corps, Wellington's army too

http://books.google.com/books?id=reKwqofqrgwC&pg=PA24&vq=decken&dq=osprey+waterloo+order+battle&lr=&as_brr=0&source=gbs_search_s&cad=5&sig=ACfU3U2r0nYqfVmEw7pBNCIMQ-m5RNTKXA

The prussian OOB is here

http://books.google.com/books?id=reKwqofqrgwC&pg=PA26&vq=jagow&dq=osprey+waterloo+order+battle&lr=&as_brr=0&source=gbs_search_s&sig=ACfU3U2FhqK-Pxwae0bME7dUxRi3JZFkJw

Have the Osprey full collection of volumes dedicated to Battles and Armies: 100 volumes at all......Italian translation.
It's not between the sources I had checked yet.

.......and yes, both formations should be part of the Anglo-Dutch Army.
I considered the Prussian OOB complete, I'm at work over the other forces now.

JastaV

FM WarB
Colonel

Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:29 pm

The Prussians did not have an Army Artillery Reserve.

III Korps had six Batteries total.

The Von Decken Hanovarian Reserve Division was split up, manning Dutch fortifications.

The Brit 7th "Division" was a brigade and slpit up, garrisoning Antwerp and Ostende (this port is not on the map.)

FM WarB
Colonel

the Hanovarian Reserve Corps

Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:46 pm

Scott Bowden, Armies at Waterloo says 12 Landwehr batalions in four brigades. Peter Hofschroer, 1815. The Waterloo Campaign. Wellington, his German Allies and the Battles of Ligny and Quatre Bras lists 13 batalions. As these troops are garrisoning Dutch fortifications north of the main battle area and presumably should be fixed, exactitude about them is not critical; just get them off the Front Line.

Nikel

Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:06 pm

In this book is said that Decken's force among others were garrisoned at Antwerp, Ostend, Nieuport, Ypres, Tournai and Mons

History of the War in France and Belgium, in 1815. William Siborne

http://books.google.com/books?id=WIaa967vOTcC&pg=RA2-PA19&dq=decken+hanoverian+waterloo&lr=&as_brr=0&ei=MZtzSLyODZykjgHJ1cDpBw&sig=ACfU3U02M7Vbd-GpYWOA5zZUqt9eWi-0xw

Identical text in this book, that can be downloaded

Story of the Battle of Waterloo: From authentic sources. George Robert Gleig. 1847

http://books.google.com/books?id=9ToQAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA39&vq=decken&dq=decken+hanoverian+waterloo&lr=&as_brr=0&source=gbs_search_s

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:47 pm

So Prussian OOB should be:

Prussian Army of Lower Rhine > NAMUR
Feldmarschal Bluecher

I Arme Korps Lt.Gen. von Zeiten II > CHARLEROI
1 bgd von Steinmetz
2 bgd von Pirch II
3 bgd von Jagow
4 bgd von Donnersmarck*** (SCHUTTER)
1 bgd von Roeder Calvary
12 art batteries

III Arme Korps Lt.Gen. von Thielemann > GIVET
9 bgd von Borcke
10 bgd von Kampfen (KRAUSENECK)
11 bgd von Luck (WITTEN, *NO LEADER)
12 bgd von Stulpnagel (*NO LEADER)
3 bgd von Hobe Calvary
6 art batteries (10 ART. BATTERIES)

II Arme Korps Lt.Gen. von Pirch I > NAMUR
5 bgd von Tippelskirch
6 bgd von Krafft
7 bgd von Brause
8 bgd von Bose or von Langen!?
2 bgd von Jurgass Calvary
10 art batteries (12 ART. BATTERIES)

IV Arme Korps Gen. von Buelow > LIEGE
13 bgd von Hacke
14 bgd von Ryssel (FUNCK)
15 bgd von Losthin
16 bgd von Hiller (GAETRINGEN, *NO LEADER)
4 bgd Wilhelm von Preussen Calvary
11 art batteries

Notes:
in brackets I reported data from NCP game not matching.
example: 16 bgd von Hiller (GAETRINGEN, *NO LEADER)
This unit is identified as von Hiller Brigade in Chandler books and in Emperer Return game. It's reported as GAETRINGEN Brogade in NCP; no individual leader is present in NCP.

4 bgd von Donnersmarck*** according to D. Chandler figures out to be 4 bgd von Henkel in Clash of Arms Emperor Returns

Note I considered in the number of Art. Batteries per Corps also units aggregated in brigades.
When working to the mods you are free to eliminate any battery you consider beeing not present.....although an overal difference of 4-6 batteris will not change balace of power!

FM WarB
Colonel

Map changes would help

Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:12 pm

I have talked about these on other threads as well as here.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:34 pm

Here is the OOB and relative deployement for Wellesley Forces

Dutch-British Army of Low Countries

Field Marshal Wellesley HQ & Reserve*** > BRUXELLES
5th Anglo-German Div Picton
6th Anglo-German Div Cole
Indipendent-Nassau Div Kruse
Brunswick Div, (Black Legion) Brunswick
also Price Willem I, 3 Siege artillery batteries, 2 Reserve heavy artillery batteries
*** this force should be locked at campaign start

I Army Corps Prince of Orange > CHARLEROI
1st Guards Div Cooke
3rd Anglo-German Div Alten
2nd Dutch-Belgian Div Perponcher
3rd Dutch-Belgian Div Chasse

II Army Corps L.Gen. Hill > COUNTRAI
2nd Anglo-German Div Clinton
4th Anglo-German Div Coleville
1st Dutch-Belgian Div Stedman
1st Hannover Calvary Bgd

Calvary Reserve L.Gen. Uxbridge > BRUXELLES
1st Household Bgd
2nd Union Bgd
4th Light Bgd
7th Light Bgd
6th Light Bgd
3rd Light Bgd
5th Light Bgd
Six horse Artillery batteries
Whinyates Rocket battery
* a couple of light calvary brigades could be placed in regions adjacen to to Bruxelles

Indipendent Forces

Dutch-Belgian Calvary Div Collert > CHARLEROI

Indip. Indonesian Bgd Anthing > GHENT

7th Anglo-German Div. Freser > BRUGGE

Hanoverian Reserve Corps van der Decken > Antwerpen***
*** this unit could be split to garrison more cities

NOTE
Units from the Prussian and Dutch-British Armies are deployed at Charleroi, according to suggested OOBs
That could help to simulate the separate engagements of Quatre Bras and Ligny of June the 16th.

FM WarB
Colonel

Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:10 am

jastaV wrote:Here is the OOB and relative deployement for Wellesley Forces

NOTE
Units from the Prussian and Dutch-British Armies are deployed at Charleroi, according to suggested OOBs
That could help to simulate the separate engagements of Quatre Bras and Ligny of June the 16th.

To have the French run into a full first Anglo Allied Corps on the 15th (end of Turn one) would not follow history. Only a brigade of Dutch-Belgians were at Quatre Bras, thanks to some creative insubordination by 1st Corps Chief of staff Rebeque. I Prussian Korps outposted the Charleroi region. On the French side, only portions of II, III Corps, Garde engineers and some cav got into action on the 15th.

This is the problem about this scenario. There was no big battle on the 15th (end of turn one) There were big battles 16-18 June, which effectively decided the campaign. If you want to play these battles tacticly, that can be fun, but as a campaign in this game system, it provides too little scope, even set up accurately, which it is not at present.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:22 am

FM WarB wrote:To have the French run into a full first Anglo Allied Corps on the 15th (end of Turn one) would not follow history. Only a brigade of Dutch-Belgians were at Quatre Bras, thanks to some creative insubordination by 1st Corps Chief of staff Rebeque. I Prussian Korps outposted the Charleroi region. On the French side, only portions of II, III Corps, Garde engineers and some cav got into action on the 15th.

This is the problem about this scenario. There was no big battle on the 15th (end of turn one) There were big battles 16-18 June, which effectively decided the campaign. If you want to play these battles tacticly, that can be fun, but as a campaign in this game system, it provides too little scope, even set up accurately, which it is not at present.

I suggested to deploy at Charleroi two corps 1 British, 1 Prussian in the effort to create conditions for something resembling Quatre Bras and Ligny engagements.
According to NCP rules, Corps could be supported by nearby Army and Corps units, marching to sound of guns, when engaged, a things that is not true for Divisions and Bridages.
Guess some tests will provide useful indications.

JastaV

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:52 pm

French Armee du Nord OOB

Guess present OOB used with NCP "Last flight of the Eagle" could work with some changes.

- No Corps is to be moved to a different deployement region.
- All Corps are to be attached to Armee du Nord, under Napoleon command.
- The two Guard Corps, (Guard Infantry and Guard Calvary) are to be merged into Armee du Nord: they'll gain advantage from Napoleon's Commit the Guard ability.
- Druot and Mortier will be available into Armee du Nord Generals: so are to be attached there.
***But you are able to edit General Abilities, you could add to Druot and Mortier the "Commit the Guard ability": at that point Druot and Mortier could be leaved in command of the two Guards Corps.
- Ney and Grouchy are to be detached from their Armies HQ*** and added to Armee du Nord as available generals.
***One of the two Army HQ is to be removed; the other is to be attached as available HQ into the Armee du Nord Force.
Player could use it at will, may be to detach part of French forces under an indipendent army command under Ney or Grouchy.

Return to “Help to improve NCP!”