jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Commanders/Generals loyalty

Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 pm

Armies Leaders loyalty was a factor largely inflencing XVIII and early XIX Century warfare.
Most Generals were men in arms, thinking of themselves as professional soldiers ready to offer their services for gold, most frequentely to foreing Nations.
Then, the French Revolution greately and negatively influnced French Generals loyalty: the Revolutionary suspect against aristocracy, soon leading to Terror; the struggle for power between Revolutionary factions; none the less, the attempt to control Generals' actions by Political Commissaries are all factors influencing Army & Navy leaders loyalty.

During the Napoleonic Age, antagonism between French Marshalls was a powerful factor influencing Generals loyalty, while French satellite States Armies had their loyalty infleneced by political and military events.

Marshall Bernardotte, ( as Sweeden Crown prince) and Marshall Murat, (as King of Naples), took moves against Napoleon in 1813 and 1814 respectively.
Gen. Jomini switched side from French to Coalition in the middle of 1813 Campaign.
It was the Marshalls Party to force the Emperor to first abdication in 1814: all French Marshalls soon sweared loyalty and offered their services to the French King during the first Restauration.
Few months later, most of them fled the Bourbone side to enjoy Napoleon.

Now, how to intruduce Generals loyalty in AGEOD engine?
What are the factors inflencing Generals loyalty during a campaign and a GrandCampaign game?
Guess, a starting, basic loyalty value should be added to any General, (based over biographic data!?), in the same way we have for tactical and strategic skills.
Promotions, seniority and beeing bypassed in command or promotion by lower seniority generals could be a powerful trigger for worsening Generals loyalty.

BTW, I was referring to Napoleonic Age because I'm not found into "BOA" Age history. Anyawy I guess same loyalty issue could work there.

JastaV

Return to “Help to improve NCP!”