jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Soundtrack playing!

Wed May 07, 2008 11:57 am

There's a trouble with Soundtrack playing common to all AGEOD games: BoA, NCP, AACW.
Soundtracks are played in a discontinous and uncontrollable way: sometime more soundtracks are played in sequence, other times we have long "silence" gaps between played soundtracks.

This negative issue has been evidenced in AGEOD games dedicated reviews, too.
See at GameSpot site for an example.

I experienced it's quite easy for player to add new soundtracks, but we have always to live with the reported trouble.
Any way to fix it with a patch?
Will be that issue manned and fixed in future AGEOD games?

JastaV

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Wed May 07, 2008 11:58 am

Actually I am quite happy the music doesn't play constantly. I like it, but when it happens only once in a while, it's like a pleasant surprise. Otherwise I'd probably often prefer to play in silence. :innocent:

I do get sound "hangs" with certain actions. Maybe a memory issue.
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

Primasprit

Wed May 07, 2008 12:06 pm

jastaV wrote:There's a trouble with Soundtrack playing common to all AGEOD games: BoA, NCP, AACW.
Soundtracks are played in a discontinous and uncontrollable way: sometime more soundtracks are played in sequence, other times we have long "silence" gaps between played soundtracks.
[...]
JastaV

Not a bug, WAD. :cwboy:

Cheers
Norbert

Nikel

Wed May 07, 2008 12:36 pm

I think that jastaV is talking about this:

There aren't that many sound effects in the game and, in fact, you can be surprised rather badly when you suddenly hear music from your headphones after a long stretch of silence. The background music consists of various pieces of period military music that seems to be triggered without any clear reason at all. This has been a complaint with previous AGEOD games as well, but it clearly hasn't been fixed yet. It would be far better to just pick a selection of good music from the period and play them in the background continuously (or let the player pick the ones (s)he likes to listen to) rather than play one song every now and then with long silences in between them. I'm pretty sure Napoleon enjoyed all sorts of music in his time – not just military bands – and might easily have been listening to certain classical masterpieces while devising his strategies.

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=929100

The music appears without relation with what is happening in the game. And you cannot control it except turning it on or off

Pocus

Wed May 07, 2008 2:16 pm

So I guess some of you would like the option to tweak the delay from none to long?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Fatboy
Sergeant

Wed May 07, 2008 2:28 pm

What about fading the music volume up over a 3 second interval?

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 07, 2008 3:45 pm

Pocus wrote:So I guess some of you would like the option to tweak the delay from none to long?

That's it!
Give player last choice!

Clovis

Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:06 pm

Nikel wrote:
I'm pretty sure Napoleon enjoyed all sorts of music in his time – not just military bands – and might easily have been listening to certain classical masterpieces while devising his strategies.

on his Ipod? As far I know the only way to get music at this time was to have some some musicians around... Ididn't noticed this review but for me it's really one of the most laughable since a long time... :niark:
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

arsan

Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:17 pm

Clovis wrote:on his Ipod?

The latest studies about Nappy report that he always had his right hand inside his chest to fiddle with iPod he used to carry on the inside pocket of his jacket. :siffle:
It seems the vengeful British did not let him carry the iPod the St Helena :grr:
Regards

Nikel

Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:12 pm

Yes sure, before Apple introduced the Ipod, music was a non existant entity, a chimera,... How could Napoleon or any other mortal or immortal listen to music in those dark times :fleb: :niark: ;)

http://www.jstor.org/pss/738191

I will send you the full article via pm if you are interested, 31 pages.

Six months later, on November 14, between Smolensk and Krasnoie, the faithful Constant once more draws a picture of the Emperor, surrounded by the Old Guard, passing across the firing-line of the battle: The band played the air: Ou peut-on etre mieux qu'au sein de sa famille? (Where could one be better off than in the bosom of his family?). Napoleon stopped it, crying: 'Play rather: Veillons au salut de l'empire!' (Watch over the safety of the Empire). It would be hard to imagine anything more inspiring.2

[SIZE="1"]2These two national airs were taken from the comic operas: the first is the famous quartet from Gretry's Lucile; the second, an air from Dalayrac's Renaud d'Ast, was provided with new words at the time of the Revolution[/size]

We might here cite the following order of the day, given by the general-in-chief at his headquarters in Cairo on the 1st Nivose of the Year VII (December 21, 1797):

Every day at noon, in the squares adjoining the hospitals, the bands of the different corps will play various tunes calculated to make the sick feel cheerful, and to recall to them the glorious moments of their past campaign.

Bonaparte.

According to this article he liked italian music, Paisiello and Zingarelli are cited several times. Paisiello's Te deum can be listened here

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=43:51878

Zingarelli

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=41:68442~T2B

Rafiki

Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:14 pm

[SIZE="1"](Pssst! One needs special access to get to JSTOR articles; I have it from work, but not e.g. from my current vacation location ;) )[/size]
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Clovis

Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:22 pm

Nikel wrote:Yes sure, before Apple introduced the Ipod, music was a non existant entity, a chimera,... How could Napoleon or any other mortal or immortal listen to music in those dark times :fleb: :niark: ;)

http://www.jstor.org/pss/738191

I will send you the full article via pm if you are interested, 31 pages.

Six months later, on November 14, between Smolensk and Krasnoie, the faithful Constant once more draws a picture of the Emperor, surrounded by the Old Guard, passing across the firing-line of the battle: The band played the air: Ou peut-on etre mieux qu'au sein de sa famille? (Where could one be better off than in the bosom of his family?). Napoleon stopped it, crying: 'Play rather: Veillons au salut de l'empire!' (Watch over the safety of the Empire). It would be hard to imagine anything more inspiring.2

2These two national airs were taken from the comic operas: the first is the famous quartet from Gretry's Lucile; the second, an air from Dalayrac's Renaud d'Ast, was provided with new words at the time of the Revolution

We might here cite the following order of the day, given by the general-in-chief at his headquarters in Cairo on the 1st Nivose of the Year VII (December 21, 1797):

Every day at noon, in the squares adjoining the hospitals, the bands of the different corps will play various tunes calculated to make the sick feel cheerful, and to recall to them the glorious moments of their past campaign.

Bonaparte.

I didn't say Napoleon never listened to music. I just doubt a whole band was playing when he was devising strategy. Your examples are evidently describing 2 current ( and real situations): one national air on the batllefield and some entertainment for wounded. Not something like Napoleon reading maps with some musicians... I maintain here we got a fabulous anachronism.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Nikel

Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:27 pm

In the egyptian campaign example, I think it is not so weird to imagine him in his tent or building or wherever he was reading the maps, and listening what was happening around

Field Marshall
Corporal

Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:06 pm

So is there any chance for a music change and better controls? I enjoy the game as well but would like to hear music as well.
Colonial Campaigns Club (CCC)

A Great Place for Colonial Wargaming!

[color="#FFA500"]Playing Birth of America (BoA), Birth of America 2: Wars in America (BoA2:WiA) and Rise of Prussia (RoP)[/color]

Return to “Help to improve NCP!”