jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Red Squares

Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:46 pm

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

The massive Ney's Grand Cavalry Charge against the Red Squares at Waterloo was an occasional events for Napoleonic age, but a mistake!

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Ney's Heavy Cavalry charged uphill over rain wet grass making horses slipping without support of French infantry and artillery battery.
To make things even more odd the Reds were sheltered behind the hills ridge and could enter Square formations without being frightened by French Artillery fire.
Notice, at Waterloo, although the high density of artillery, battery fires was mostly ineffective: shells often sunk in the wet soil rather than producing the typical deadly ricochet effect.
At end we have to quote the legend, according to that French Cavalry were not been provided with hammers to spike British unmanned guns!

When Ney's Charge was pulled back the Dutch-British Cavalry counter-charged downhill shadowing the French horsemen. They pulled in depth so to be targeted by French canister fires and then in turn counter-charged by French Cavalry reserves.

As a result at the end of the battle day the overall casualties suffered by Cavalry were unusual high!

Going to NCP game we have users questioning as regard excessive losses!
I want to deal with different aspects involved in casualties, examining them with care and details and when possible offering suggestions.
I’m aware NCP is mainly a strategic game, anyway Battle Resolution Routine is an important actor in scenarios playing!

RED SQUARES
Infantry entering square formation is an important feature behind battle losses, especially as regard cavalry casualties.
British infantry units were the best tactically trained and leaded troops of the age.
British infantry was used to employ the line formation so to maximize firepower. Line were commonly used for manoeuvring on the field, although a bit slower than column. Under enemy cavalry threat British lines entered squares: gunners left then pieces to take shelter within infantry squares.
Other troops were not so well trained as Britons: the use of squares were reduced.
French were widely using Columns or Ordre-Mix; Austrian and Prussian after 1805 and 1806 defeated reorganized armies after the french model: their use of Landwer was reducing overall quality although increasing men in arms.
Russian were known for entrenching abilities and artillery use: they trusted over static defences and firepower for shelter against cavalry.

Going to NCP codes…..
AFAIK, square is not detailed and encoded in Models database as other attributes and abilities.
So I have no chance to verify entering square ability in relation to nationality.
Possibly infantry square ability is hard coded in NCP.exe, as other parameters behind battles resolution routine.
I already reported to Pocus my suggestions for a possible reductions of cavalry losses in battles: he pleased me to remember him that later… guess making that public is best way sticking the point as a remember-note, and to start a public discussion.

As regard Cavalry losses and Square formation.....

Noticed this explanation in WiA game manual:
11.6.3 Cavalry Charge Resolution
A Cavalry charge attacking defending elements that have not ‘Formed Squares’ inflicts a 50% increase in damage (i.e. damage equals 150% of normal). A Cavalry charge that attacks infantry elements that have ‘Formed Squares’ results in normal damage being done to the defending elements. The return damage done to cavalry elements that charge defending elements in ‘Squares’ is increased by 100% (i.e. damage equals 200% of normal).

This point can the behind excessive Cavalry losses in combat!

Here are my suggestions:

1. Cavalry charge attacking no Squares infantry inflicts a 50% increase in damage!
Okay it's already so!
Infantry suffers 150% actual damage.

2. A Cavalry charge attacking Squares infantry results in 75% decrease damage to infantry!
That simulates the fact Cavalry did not attack squares but just fled around to safety distance.
Infantry suffers 25% actual damage.

3. Squares infantry range-fired by enemy results in 50% increase damage to infantry!
That simulates the higher vulnerability of Squares to artillery fire!
Squares infantry takes 150% actual damage from ranged attacks.

4. NO return melee damage done to cavalry: this simulates the fact Cavalry actually did not charge squares but just fled around getting return fire from squares muskets.

5. Cavalry suffers as usual ranged fire.

6. Cavalry suffer + 50% cohesion loss as usual: it simulates the disorder to Cavalry units fleeing away to avoid squares!

Notice: the modifier % to losses and cohesion I suggested can be discussed and probably will have to be tested and optimized to provide best, realist results.
Attachments
Neycharge.jpg
QTB1.jpg
Ney: The army will not move!
Napoleon: The army will obey me!
Ney: The army will obey to its Generals’ orders!

[SIZE="1"]Fontainebleau, April 1814[/size]

Return to “Help to improve NCP!”