caranorn

locked forces

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:26 pm

Shouldn't locked forces get unlocked after they've fought a battle? Particularly if they ended up retreating from battle.

Here's the situation after the battle of Ulm (Murat forced his way through on the first turn). The remnants of Mack's Army are still locked despite taking a sound trashing. There now is 0 chance to extract these forces.
Attachments
locked_forces.png
Marc aka Caran...

Pocus

Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:57 pm

Can be the event script who relocked them.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

PhilThib

Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:46 pm

The case you show is really peculiar and is the consequence of an event, named "Schulmeister"... :siffle:

The event makes the whole army under Mack fixed for 1 turn, usually at the end of the first game turn (to represent Mack being misinformed by French spy Schulmeister and tergiversating for 1 week in Ulm)...

The fixing is removed after 1 turn in all cases... now we can remove the event, but I like the "spice" of it...

... for one more reason, we have also scripted the fact that if the French army manages to get in between Mack's army and Austria (at least 4/5 units in the 3 regions east of Ulm, plus a few forces in Ulm itself), then general Mack has a chance to behave historically, i.e. surrender.... the player will see an event triggered called "Ulm Maneuver"...

May be it is a bit "heavy" on the player, but I liked the chrome and historical aspect of it... and the challenge for the Austrian player to escape that death trap (there are ways :sourcil: )....

But we can also remove all of these... :king:

What do you think :siffle:

caranorn

Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:16 pm

Not sure, two turns locked is hard for the human player in such a situation. Though I'm maybe more astonished that enough french forces can be brought to bear against Ulm on the first turn for a successful frontal assault, then this example itself of Mack (he himself had relocated to Insbruck with a number of other officers of destroyed formations) freezing under pressure (which indeed seems to be what happened (though command conflict with Ferdinand seems to have been another issue)).

Could you limit the effects of the Schulmeister event to Ulm alone maybe? In that case an Army dislodged by a frontal assault could try to retreat.

I will have to try another game to say more.
Marc aka Caran...

Return to “NCP Technical support / Aide technique”