Nikel

NCP Generals Portraits Mod

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:05 pm

Hi everybody. As promised, here is my minimod with 10 generals portraits that had not a specific one.

Hope you enjoy them, they are not a lot considering the number of generals available in the game, but better a few more than nothing :sourcil:

Thanks to jastaV and Jabberwock for the support :coeurs: And of course thanks to AGEOD team for this fantastic game :coeurs:

Pocus does not allow me to post screenshots of the game any more, but here is a gallery "outside of the game" :niark:

[ATTACH]3405[/ATTACH]

I think that the best portrait is Friant. But my favourite general is Philipon, commander at Badajoz in two sieges vs the british
Attachments
Minimod.jpg

Rafiki

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:09 pm

Very nice work, Nikel. Kudos :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Jabberwock

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:29 pm

Very nice indeed! :coeurs: :hat:
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:40 pm

Recommend these ones included as default with next NCP patch :coeurs: !

Congratulations to Nikel!

arsan

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:38 pm

Wow! :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs:
You had learned the portrait techniques very fast!! :nuts:
They looks very good! Congrats!!

Nikel

Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:09 pm

Thanks everybody for the kind comments :coeurs:

PhilThib

Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:39 am

Excellent work...thanks :coeurs:

dooya

Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:43 am

Great work! :cwboy:
No quote - No bullshit!

Pocus

Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:56 am

Great.

Post screenshots as you wish Nickel :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Nikel

Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:40 am

Thanks Pockus :niark: ;)

By the way, if somebody spots a problem with the portraits in the game, just tell me. I have saved the intermediate files, so to fix them would be easy.

I have already made a new one, Dedon-Duclos, but perhaps a bit colorful :niark: I will post a screenshot when I get home

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Louis_Dedon-Duclos

Bruit Bleu

Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:42 am

Superbes ! :hat:
TYW Baroque music mod

« Dulce Bellum Inexpertis »
Erasmus

Adlertag

Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:14 pm

Nikel wrote:I think that the best portrait is Friant. But my favourite general is Philipon, commander at Badajoz in two sieges vs the british

Great job Nikel !

One of my favorite general (along with Friant), because of his sad destiny, is "La Bedoyère"; a talented leader shooted in 1815.
He was 29 years old.
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

Nikel

Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:23 pm

Thanks Bruit Bleu ;)

Carnium has sent me these files, Fournier rotated, as he was inclined to the right in the original picture. Thanks :cwboy: If you prefer them, just replace the files.

[ATTACH]3419[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]3420[/ATTACH]

This is a Dedon-Duclos I have been busy with, is he too colorful? :niark:

[ATTACH]3421[/ATTACH]

I think that is possible to make decent portraits of relatively low quality black and white pictures. Do you like Flahaut, right top and Colbert-Chabanais, first in the stack?

[ATTACH]3422[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Update.jpg
Unit_FRA_Dedon.png
Unit_FRA_Dedon.png (11.22 KiB) Viewed 10013 times
Unit_FRA_Fournier.png
Unit_FRA_Fournier.png (11.57 KiB) Viewed 9956 times
Army_FRA_Fournier.png
Army_FRA_Fournier.png (7.95 KiB) Viewed 9954 times

arsan

Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:08 pm

They look great on game, Nikel! Congrats! :coeurs:
Are those two on the in game screen shot coloured by you form a b/w picture?

Nikel

Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:30 pm

Yes, do you like them? :cwboy: These are the sources

[ATTACH]3425[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]3426[/ATTACH]

What do you think of Dedon, too colorful? Some of them had so many medals and decorations on the chest... :niark:
Attachments
Flahaut.jpg
Colbert-Chabanais2.jpg

Carnium

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:30 am

Great work Nikel. Will you do Coalition generals too ?

arsan

Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:04 am

Nikel wrote:Yes, do you like them? :cwboy: These are the sources

What do you think of Dedon, too colorful? Some of them had so many medals and decorations on the chest... :niark:

Hi Nikel!
The forums died for a while yesterday night as i was answering you :p leure:
Never mind... i was telling you they look great! :coeurs:
Maybe Colbert has a little too much red on the cheeks... but justa little :innocent:

About Dedon, the portraits is very good, but as you say, the jacket is so colourful it shocks a little. Maybe you could darken it or paint it "french" blue. :cwboy:
Have you counted how many portraits there are "to do"... hundreds?? :nuts:
Thanks for your work! :hat:

Nikel

Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:11 am

Adlertag wrote:Great job Nikel !

One of my favorite general (along with Friant), because of his sad destiny, is "La Bedoyère"; a talented leader shooted in 1815.
He was 29 years old.

Thanks Adlertag ;) , I had not seen your post, yesterday night (Europe) there was a problem with the forum?

Friant deserves a portrait, in Waterloo scenario he commands the grenadiers division of the Imperial Guard, a serious guy, we can see that in the portrait :niark:

La Bedoyère was only 29 years old? Fast promotion then. There were many young generals, this happened I think, because of the revolutionary times, but he was too young even for that!?

Carnium, for now I will only do french ones. But if you find a portrait you want, send me the link :innocent:

Nikel

Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:58 am

arsan wrote:Hi Nikel!
The forums died for a while yesterday night as i was answering you :p leure:
Never mind... i was telling you they look great! :coeurs:
Maybe Colbert has a little too much red on the cheeks... but justa little :innocent:

About Dedon, the portraits is very good, but as you say, the jacket is so colourful it shocks a little. Maybe you could darken it or paint it "french" blue. :cwboy:
Have you counted how many portraits there are "to do"... hundreds?? :nuts:
Thanks for your work! :hat:

Do you think Colbert has to much pink in the cheeks, but the portraits in the game were made in this way, look to Palafox in the screenshot. Perhaps a darker pink could be good?

You are right with Dedon, but in the source portrait what he has in the chest are medals and golden decorations in the jacket that practically cover everything. Perhaps a solution, as the head is small compared with the base (nearly no neck :niark: ) is to remove part of the base with the colours and so the head will be bigger

arsan

Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:19 am

Nikel wrote:Do you think Colbert has to much pink in the cheeks, but the portraits in the game were made in this way, look to Palafox in the screenshot. Perhaps a darker pink could be good?

You are right... now that i look at it, other official portraits also have pink cheeks :bonk: It must be the heat of the battle :niark:
Never mind! Looks great! :coeurs:

Nikel

Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:16 pm

A question. For a very low quality source, like this of Espagne, I got the portrait of the screenshot. Do you think that it is good enough or better forget files like these?

[ATTACH]3437[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3436[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Espagne2.jpg
Espagne.jpg

arsan

Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:36 pm

i think its not that bad! :coeurs:
I would include it.
But for the unit panel i would make his head a little smaller, leaving some white space around. :cwboy:
Regards!

Nikel

Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:26 pm

Thanks for the answer arsan :cwboy:

Better now, put some other generals for you to compare, good enough then? Perhaps Friant is too much for poor Espagne :niark:

[ATTACH]3439[/ATTACH]
Attachments
espagne4.jpg

arsan

Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:50 pm

Much better! :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs:

Nikel

Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:18 pm

It seems that by mistake I have painted a general that does not appear in the database and hence in the game :bonk: :niark:

I painted Auguste-Francois-Marie de Colbert-Chabanais, promoted to General-de-Brigade on 1805, died 1809, read about his death here

http://www.napoleon-series.org/research/commanders/c_chabanais.html

http://www.napoleon-series.org/research/biographies/c_plunkett.html

And the one that appears in the game is Pierre-David (Edouard) Colbert de Chabanais, promoted General-de-Division in 1813, died 1853

http://www.napoleon-series.org/research/commanders/c_colbert.html

Following a message by jastaV, there are some questions.

Is it possible to add generals to the database, for example this Colbert? As he was "only" General-de-Brigade, is this a problem, Is it necessary to be at least General-de-Division to appear in the game as a distict general?

Another example is Dahlmann, promoted to General-de-Brigade in the beginning of 1807, but died just a month later at Eylau. I have a good quality source (not the one that appears in the link)

http://www.napoleon-series.org/research/commanders/c_dahlmann.html

Adlertag

Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:57 pm

Nikel wrote:It seems that by mistake I have painted a general that does not appear in the database and hence in the game :bonk: :niark:

I painted Auguste-Francois-Marie de Colbert-Chabanais, promoted to General-de-Brigade on 1805, died 1809, read about his death here

http://www.napoleon-series.org/research/commanders/c_chabanais.html

http://www.napoleon-series.org/research/biographies/c_plunkett.html

And the one that appears in the game is Pierre-David (Edouard) Colbert de Chabanais, promoted General-de-Division in 1813, died 1853

http://www.napoleon-series.org/research/commanders/c_colbert.html

Following a message by jastaV, there are some questions.

Is it possible to add generals to the database, for example this Colbert? As he was "only" General-de-Brigade, is this a problem, Is it necessary to be at least General-de-Division to appear in the game as a distict general?

Another example is Dahlmann, promoted to General-de-Brigade in the beginning of 1807, but died just a month later at Eylau. I have a good quality source (not the one that appears in the link)

http://www.napoleon-series.org/research/commanders/c_dahlmann.html

It was decided (long ago during NCP early beta stage) not to include General de Brigade rank leaders as individual ones with portraits but things could be re-discussed of course.
Because this may lead to a huge number of officers to introduce into the database (?)

Concerning Colbert-Chabanais you have also the third brother : Louis-Pierre-Alphonse de Colbert-Chabanais who attained also "General de Brigade" rank...

Dahlmann was promising leader but others deserved to be included maybe : Valhubert (killed at Austerlitz), Ordener (general de division but retired soon after) to give some examples.
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

Nikel

Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:11 pm

Thanks for the answer Adlertag. Of course I was not talking about including exhaustively all the Generals-de-Brigade, just special cases. After all who compiled that list of 20 cavalry commanders chose Dahlmann or the 2 Colberts for something ;)

In the meantime here is an update, Espagne and Dedon are not incuded yet. Made the brother Colbert that appears in the game, Edouard, unfortunately the source is not of good quality, but the result is decent. I am specially happy with Eble :niark:

[ATTACH]3458[/ATTACH]

Download link in the first post
Attachments
update.jpg

Rafiki

Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:13 pm

Nikel, I have to say I'm impressed with how you seem to have mastered this in such a short time. Well done! :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

PhilThib

Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:14 pm

Sure...high class....will be in ext patch :coeurs: :coeurs:

arsan

Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:17 pm

:eek: Impressive work!!! :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs:

Return to “NCP Mods”