Walloc
Lieutenant Colonel

Changing/making new unit types

Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:17 am

Hi,

Was trying to do a test modding of the 1813 scn, specificly changing all the prussian units first into big elements. So i could send it to Phil T seeing if that was in his line of thinking. Altering, aka the huge job, to get NCP elements streamlined.

Looking in the scn file. For unit X i can gather its pointing to a unit type in the DB, but thats where i get lossed.

A standart mill of the run Line inf regiment is calling up on:
uni_PRU_Bde20

ok then i look in unit DB. Could be an old example of the DB i got, but i cant find any units in DB with that name.
In DB there is 2 columns that looks like i could be it. Name and alias, but neither got any double digit numbers.
From looking at unit description it seems like a:
mdl_PRU_Inf10
in DB but how is the connection?

Looking at french to compare as they alrdy in elemented regiments to see if i could learn any thing.
I stumple on units like:
uni_FRA_MixteBde10

Is that a mix of units in DB or just pointing to a specific unit type of mixed units and again, in either answer how do i make the connection?

Sub question would be how to make new units so not to mess with all ur pre made but i guess that will come in time.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

PhilThib

Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:35 am

Hi Rasmus,

I really do not get the question here :tournepas .

For instance, Uni_PRU_Bde20 does exist in the DB (line 895 of Excel sheet, column F). It is made of two regiments of line (mdl_Inf8) and one of light infantry (mdl_lit0)... so where is the problem ?

As for the French example here, the name used in alias (such as the one you quote, MixteBde) was just chosen by the DB developper to "remember" what was in the unit... in that case a "mix" of 1815 line and light French infantry (one rgt each)...

to cut a long story short, here is my suggestion:

A - Select the basic models you want to keep from the Models file...in essence you do not need to change much there, you have almost everything (indeed, too many things). Howver, there might be a need for re-balancing outrageous values (especially fire and assault values)

B - Build the "new" units you feel are adequate...don't bother with older ones, just find a new way of naming them (e.g. uni_TAG_NCP2_Name), put them at the end of the unit excel file, so we can double check later

C - See how these "new" units can adequately replace older ones in the scenario.

In case of trouble, email me (or even phone :sourcil: )

Walloc
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:11 am

PhilThib wrote:Hi Rasmus,

I really do not get the question here :tournepas .

to cut a long story short, here is my suggestion:

A - Select the basic models you want to keep from the Models file...in essence you do not need to change much there, you have almost everything (indeed, too many things). Howver, there might be a need for re-balancing outrageous values (especially fire and assault values)

B - Build the "new" units you feel are adequate...don't bother with older ones, just find a new way of naming them (e.g. uni_TAG_NCP2_Name), put them at the end of the unit excel file, so we can double check later

C - See how these "new" units can adequately replace older ones in the scenario.

In case of trouble, email me (or even phone :sourcil: )

As said i might have had an old DB and i think that is the issue at hand :bonk:

My line 895 is some thing very very different :tournepas
Could u send me a new version of the DB, thx.
Ill PM u my email.

About A, my first thot was to get unit elements, regimented. 2nd thot get the OOB numbers right. Currently way to few men in the btns/regiments. Last count i did, i think some 15-18k prussian infantry men was missing in the 3 corps in 1813. Plus some smaller mistakes in making Grenadier regiments which never excisted.
I know the values gota change but that'll come to that later and i would prefere some1 to discuss the values with. Trying to counter any bias.
If we have the units done right, values can always "just" be added.

In large those prussians could be used in 1814-15 too.

Also if the regimented elements was as ur idea was, russians and austrians be next but i was going to make a test example for ur "approval" before doing more.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Pocus

Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:22 pm

AACW & NCP DB updated. Please note that for NCP I have not the latest version though.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

FM WarB
Colonel

Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:03 pm

Are the database files available for download the latest?

FM WarB
Colonel

Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:16 am

When you create new units or models and add them to the exel files, should you place them where appropriate and recalibrate the numbers in column A?

I have only thus far fiddled with existing models in BoA1

Pocus

Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:41 am

That's not an obligation, it looks better, but if you insert them between existing units/models, then you shift all UIDs and thus invalidate all scn and saved games. You can add them at the end of the file and remains compatible otoh.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

FM WarB
Colonel

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:03 pm

And I was looking for the easy way!
Thanks Pocus...Back of the line for all newbie Models or units it is!
Is computer computation speed noticably affected by where models are?

Primasprit

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:28 pm

Nope. :cwboy:

FM WarB
Colonel

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:34 pm

OK, lets say I've added some new models and/or units to the .xls files. Where do I cvs split them to, to get them to show up in my NCP/Gamedata/ models or units folders?
I'd guess you could create new models or units by copying a similar model to another location, renaming, pasting back and changing what you want. But that cant be put back into the xls file.

Primasprit

Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:25 pm

1. Save file as csv (delimiter: ; )
2. Open the csv splitter.
3. Select the first tab: Convert Data
4. Select as Output ext. the file extension mdl. For the other fields the default values are good.
5. Select as Input CSV file your csv file containing the model data
6. Select Convert. This may take a few moments. The csv-splitter creates now from the models csv file the single model files.
7. Delete all files in the game directory ...\GameData\Models\
8. Copy all files with the extension mdl to the game directory ...\GameData\Models\
9. Copy the file mdl_Alias.ini (which was also created by the csv splitter) to the game directory ...\Aliases\

The process to create the unit files is similar. Choose in the csv-splitter as file extension uni. Copy the unit files to ...\GameData\Units\ and the alias file to ...\Aliases\

Cheers
Norbert

PS: It might be a good idea to backup the old data at first in case something goes wrong.

FM WarB
Colonel

Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:42 pm

Sie sind tapfer, mit so eine altmodische Entwicklungssystem zu schaffen!

I can klagen auf Deutsh, too...lol

Primasprit

Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:56 pm

Excel or Open Office Calc are quite good tools to manage and edit the model and unit DB, as you can easily search, sort, filer ... No need to reinvent the wheel here. The process to export the model files is fairly easy too once you get used to it. :cwboy:

FM WarB
Colonel

Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:28 am

8. Copy files...Where is the cvs splitter sending these files?

Pocus

Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:19 pm

FM WarB wrote:8. Copy files...Where is the cvs splitter sending these files?

You have an output directory, which is by default the same as the directory of your CSV. What I do is rename GameData into _GameData, then create a new GameData dir (empty thus). I add there the csv file, and click on convert. All you .mdl are already in the right place. Move the alias file into the alias directory and you are done.

FM WarB
Colonel

Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:37 pm

Can the cvs output directory be a correctly structured folder within a GSMGE MODS folder? That way, I can test as I go, keeping the original game elemnts intact, and easily managing my changed files.

Return to “NCP Mods”