jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

April 1813, JastaV (COA) vs. Nikel (FRA) PBEM

Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:23 pm

This is my first experience with PBEM gaming, guess it's so for Nikel too.
The chance is very interesting in so far we'll game and present to the vast NCP public a brand new scenario: Modder Times Prelude to Leipzig (var.I)- Germany: April-June 1813.

Looking to the relative AAR I'll take the chance to show up my psychotic triple personality! :wacko:

1. I'll post a narrative account while in the shoes of Ivan Vassilievich Sabaneev, Czar Alexander AdC and Advisor. As regard I'll change my Avatar for the time of the BPEM.

2. As Prelude to Leipzig (var.I)- Germany: April-June 1813 co-editor I'll post tech. comments to illustrate some innovative issues of Modder Times ver 1.01.

3. I'll post also a most traditional AAR to comment gameturns events, possibly by a multi media report.
Ney: The army will not move!
Napoleon: The army will obey me!
Ney: The army will obey to its Generals’ orders!

[SIZE="1"]Fontainebleau, April 1814[/size]

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Scenario setting

Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:28 pm

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

In the Game Setting panel is to be noticed the Foreign Entry setting value.
In Modder Times Prelude to Leipzig (var.I)- Germany: April-June 1813 scenario the Foreign Entry Counter has been enabled!
Guess this is first time in a NCP scenario.
We'll have chance to examine its effect over scenario gaming later.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:46 pm

[CENTER][color="Black"][SIZE="3"]A LIFE FOR THE CZAR [/size][/color][/CENTER]
[color="Blue"](fictional)[/color] war diary of Ivan Vassilievich Sabaneev, Aide de Camp and Advisor of H.M. Alexander I Czar.

Saint Petersburg, 11 Dec. 1812
News from the front!
13 December: Kutuzuv army entered Vilna, former French winter quarters. French invaders are a disbanded mob retreating from Kovno to Konigsberg.

Saint Petersburg, 13 Dec. 1812
The British ambassador was visiting H.M. Alexander to carry Christmas wishes: the Czar promised to the British delegation the formation of a 400.000 men army to carry on the fight till Napoleon defeat.

Peterhof, 18 Dec. 1812
We have been reached by news of our vanguards crossing the Russo-Polish and Russo-Prussian borders.

Perethof, 23 Dec. 1812
A letter from the Prince Kutuzov to H.M. Alexander!
The Marshal prayes H.M. Alexander to stop the war on the Russian frontier. The liberation of Germany and the fall of Napoleon will not be worth the blood of a single Russian soldier!
The Czar war really disappointed with Prince Kutuzov’s words.

Saint Petersburg, 6 Jan. 1813
In a new letter, Marshal Prince Kutuzov pointed out the sufferance suffered by our brave soldiers, advancing in the winter without proper logistic support.

Saint Petersburg, 12 Jan. 1813
H.M. Alexander advanced his desire to reach the Army and take its lead in the final struggle against le Tondu.

Saint Petersburg, 24 Jan. 1813
The fruits of the French collapse!
Prussian Gen.York signed an armistice to gain safety for his Corps.
Austrian Marshal Schwarzemberd signed an armistice, calling Austria out of the struggle. Schwarzemberd Corps retired in Galicia.

Saint Petersburg, 28 Jan. 1813
The Decision!
H.M. Alexander will leave the capital for the front!

Saint Petersburg, 16 Feb. 1813
This morning we left Saint Petersburg for Poland.
H.M. Alexander was leading the Imperial parade along the town main roads. Citizens were enthusiastically applauding to him!

Pskov District, 21 Feb. 1813
A storm caught us on the way: we had to take shelter in a small unknown village.
H.M. Alexander was hosted in the starosta’s izba: the hut ceiling is so low we have to bend over when standing up!

Vilnius District, 26 Feb 1813
The war will wait!
We took shelter for the night at a local baron’s estate.
The woodmaster reported of a beautiful stag sighted in the nearby woods: it will be worth of our Czar attention. Tomorrow will put aside our hunt for Boney and we’ll go after it!

On the way to Warszawa, 1 March. 1813
A letter from Prince Kutuzov: the Marshal felt ill. The providence is guiding our Czar’s decisions: our Army has no more a strong lead. With God help we’ll soon reach the GQG and H.M. will take the charge of the command.

Grodno District, 2 March 1813
We entered the former war theater: villages have been razed; unburied corps lay to our path sides.
Cossack bands are patrolling the area looking for booty.
That’s the war!

Niemen river, 7 March 1813
We crossed the Niemen! Tilsit is not far away, but so far are those days of friendship between the Czar and the Emperour! At that time I was proudly carrying La Legion d’Honour I received from Napoleon’s hands. It was just past summer, following Smolensk fire I thrown it away!

Warszawa, 11 March 1813
We liberated Poland, but you can see that in any Polish eye: they hate us!

Warszawa, 13 March 1813
First war council under H.M. the Czar’s supervision!
Our armies are spawned over a large front from Germany to Poland: Corps and Columns have been detached to besiege French controlled fortresses or to observe enemy movements.
We till advance but our logistic service has collapsed. The Prussians, our former enemy, now our loyal alleys, are fresh and well equipped but their armies are till being raised.

Breslau, 17 March 1813
The Imperial HQ moved to Breslau fortress, beside the Silesian-Austrian border.
Our Czar’s decision to promote Prince Petr Christianovich Wittgenstein in charge of former Kutuzov’s commands lighted up senior officers’ rage. The presence of H.M. soon transformed the HQ into a court with its poisons and intrigues.

Breslau, 19 March 1813
The only fight I could take part is here, at the Imperial HQ. Older Generals refused to take order from younger Prince Wittgenstein, Alexander’s protect,... till now!

Breslau, 22 March 1813
Good news!
Our columns entered Berlin and besieged Spandau fortress: French are backing to safety on the western bank of Elbe river.
H.M. decided to divide the command of the Army. Prince Wittgenstein will keep direct command of our forward forces along the Elbe; the Reserve Corps will be submitted to our Czar’s direct control. I see nothing good in this decision!

Breslau, 23 March 1813
The French opposition along the Elbe is week: Wittgenstein and Blucher decided to push forward, crossing the river and occupy Saxony. It’s a good political move: it could shake Napoleon’s German alleys loyalty. Indeed it‘s an hazard on the military profile: we can stand Eugene’s army, but we have not forces to match Napoleon……. We heard of a new French army forming on the Rhine frontier!

NOTICE: I'm using the Russian traditional date system. You have to add 11 to get the matching Western coutries date!

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Turn one

Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:45 pm

Game turn 1: April 8-16, 1813
Good weather dominance, with mud slowing down movements in some areas.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Here is an overall view, centered over East-Southern Germany, the rear of the Coalition front. You can also notice the active FE counter.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

turn one: resolution

Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:27 pm

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]

French Gen. Rapp tried a sortie to overwhelm the Russo-Prussian Observation Corps watching Danzig. The French were caught on their own trap, when Russian Marshal Barclay's column arrived on the scene.
In the resulting two days engagements We got the field: we lost some 7,000 men against 17,000 French casualties.
Rapp's forces have been weakened now!

God bless our beloved Czar!
http://folk.ntnu.no/makarov/temporary_url_20070929kldcg/bozhe-tsarya-khrani-acapella-valaam_1995.mp3
Attachments
Untitled_danzig 2.jpg
danzig.jpg

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

FE Counter

Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:54 pm

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
In the game bar picture you can notice the 12 in the FE Counter field.
In this scenario the FE Counter is linked to the Armistice that will force to an end the Spring Campaign.
In a scenario where French side has a 2 to 1 superiority over the enemy, Armistice triggering is an element, but an historical event, that adds balance to the game.
The Coalition side can look to the Armistice to stop the French advance.
Events, Objectives control, random factors, victories on the field can influence the FE points gained or lost by Coalition. Should the Coalition side succeed to rich the FE MAX value Armistice condition will be enabled and the scenario will end. With that we introduced aslo a dynamic scenario end date, a parameter both sides have to look for in their struggle for victory.

The FE Counter field on the game interface works only for a side: the Coalition in the example.
French side can anyway check the FE Counter at the F5 ledger page, where turn Max and Min Foreign Entry Level are reported.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Attachments
f5.jpg
bar1.png

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:24 am

[color="Blue"](fictional)[/color] war diary of Ivan Vassilievich Sabaneev, Aide de Camp and Advisor of H.M. Alexander I Czar.

Breslau, 26 March 1813
A letter from home!
Thanks to god! They all are in good health!
They had good news from my older brother following months of silence. He escaped the destruction of his monastery, sacked by French troops. He jointed a regiments of our irregulars giving them spiritual support and assistance in the winter. When the unit disbanded he took refuge at St. Mikhail Monastery in the district of Smolensk.
The litll’ Piotr was enthusiast with Christmas gifts: he’s now in a hurry for spring days so to ride the small cossack horse I gifted him.
My younger, sixteen years old brother is looking for jointing the Czarina Lifeguard Cuirassier Regiment.: a good choice, but a privilege.

Breslau, 29 March 1813
Hamburg was liberated by German patriot volunteer formations, (Freikorps).
Along the Medium Elbe we are besieging Magdeburg; Wittgenstein advanced in Saxony liberating Dresden and Leipzig: the King of Saxony is formally till a Napoleon alley. Remnants of the Saxon army retired in Glogau under Gen. Thielmann command.
Tougau is a pain in our flank: the fortress cut our line of communication between Wittgenstein Army in the South and the German Korps besieging Magdeburg, at the North.
The IHQ will leave Breslau tomorrow: H.M. desire to be closer to front line troops at the time of the decisive victory.

Nikel

Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:31 am

Danzig affair is strange :(

I did not ordered Rapp a sortie, but a hold at all cost.

I have played several times your april 1813 scenario and this never happened!

But OK, I accept this defeat, things will not be easy now. To hold Danzig is very important indeed ;)

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:49 pm

Nikel wrote:Danzig affair is strange :(

I did not ordered Rapp a sortie, but a hold at all cost.

I have played several times your april 1813 scenario and this never happened!

But OK, I accept this defeat, things will not be easy now. To hold Danzig is very important indeed ;)

Breslau, 3 April 1813

Alexander I, Czar of Russia to his Brother Napoleon Emperor of France.

In this hard time of sufferance for our peoples, WE have to remember to Your Majesty that Russia was forced to fight by deliberate French aggression. It was French Army to cross borders invading Russia, it were France troops to raze our cities and villages. With God bless, WE pushed back the invaders and we moved into Germany to liberate our brothers from French chains.
We invite French troops in Danzig as in any other corner of occupied Europe to surrender, giving up weapons with honor. Surrenders will be allowed to safely retreat within natural border of France.

Alexander I

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:49 am

Silesia, 2 April 1813
Sudden weather change!
When we awoke we find the landscape covered with frost.
In the evening we received a letter from marshal Barclay: he is besieging Danzig, but he denies the occurrence of any large scale battle. Rapp is closed inside Danzig with his intact force of 20,000 more men…. Till a threat for our rear!
This is a war of news and suppositions, too. Yesterday news of a British Army landed on the Western Baltic shore was spreading between out troops….. Not so bad: although that was not true, it will boost up men morale!

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Turn 2 Resolution

Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:25 pm

Turn 2 resolution: 16-21 April 1813
Harsh Weather

[color="RoyalBlue"]No field battles to report.[/color]

An the East, on the Vistula, (Poland theater) the main French force is besieged inside Danzig.
A small French garrison is holding in Modlin, while [color="Red"]Thorn surrendered[/color] to Coalition assaults.

In Central Germany on the Oder Line, Coalition is besieging Kustrin, Stettin, Glogau.

To the West, along the main front line, the Elbe River, Wittemberg and Torgau are besieged by Coalition.
[color="Red"]Magdeburg[/color] was the theater of a major fight, with French garrison capitulation to Coalition assaults: few thousands men lost per side in the action.
Along the Lower Elbe French are besieging Hamburg.

French Marmont Corps has been spotted in Weimar: we suspect it’s the vanguard of Napoleon Army of Germany.
Eugene’s Army of Elbe is sitting around Braunschweig.

A picture of Danzig siege
Attachments
Danzig siege.jpg

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Nikel's pictures

Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:35 pm

[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="3"]Honor to Nikel![/size][/color]

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
In the picture an example from Military Options Ledger pages, now illustrated by Nikel paints!

Inspired by WiA graphic improvements we, (Modder Times Team) decided to import the graphic improvement in NCP.
Pocus is to be thanked for support granted to the project!
Illustrating the Ledger pages was a two step process.
1. At first we had to rework Ledger pages, so to gain proper space to host pictures. It was a very lucky attempt!

2. Then we had to select a mess of paints, pictures and other material available on the net to get Nikel chance to edit his pictures.
Standardization of pictures as regard colour dominance, brighteness and so on was a pain.
Nikel provided a mess of pictures: some of them will be used to illustrate future Modder Times scenario projects, and possibly, with time Default NCP scenarios too!

The five Modder Time scenarios soon avaialble with next MT NCP version will have their Ledger, Mil. Opt. pages fully illustrated!
Attachments
options22.jpg

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

A dynamic, high variability scenario

Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:55 pm

Prelude to Leipzig var. I is a scenario with a high incidence of variability.
I already illustrated the use of the FE counter to make uncertain the campaign end date.

Military Options will not been all available at campaign start, but they will pup up, to be selected at some random point, based over a chance % of probability..... in the same way as options are randomply re-generated during the campaign.

Objectives points value and Objectives List is different for the two sides. Usually, Objectives controlled at campaign start by a side have a lower value for that faction: that to promove agressive game style.
Objectives will change during the campaign, based over date and strategic achivements. Gaining control of some Objectives will change the Objectives List, in term of new Objectives added and old ones unlisted or changing their points value.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
In the picture, an example of the Coalition sides Objective list at campaign start.
Attachments
objectives.jpg

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:08 pm

Silesia, 6 April 1813
Our forces are till besieging French controlled fortresses along the Vistula, the Oder and the Elbe.
While Rapp Corps, the main threat to our rear communication lines, is till besieged inside Danzig we got news that Thorn and Magdeburg French garrisons surrendered.
So, now we control Magdeburg securing the most direct access path to Berlin!
Bernadotte Sweden Army is in Stralsund, waiting for events to be clear before moving in favor of one of the two sides.

Souther Germany, 8 April 1813
We took shelter for the night at a Prussian estate past evening.
Today, at down, I took chance for a quick visit to local plantations: it was quite interesting; I noticed a couple of things we could introduce in Russia too.
On the way back to the HQ building I noticed a great oak. Its eastern half was scared and burned to death: possibly hit by some lightning. On the contrary the western half was moving to spring life fighting against the harsh morning froze. It remembered me of our beloved Motherland, wounded by French invasion, but till alive with its glorious army ready to struggle!

Souther Germany, 9 April 1813
French are besieging Hamburg. The weak German volunteers Freikorps garrison will not stand along!

Souther Germany, 9 April 1813
Vanguards of Napoleon Army have been spotted in Weimar: so the Emperor will move toward Elbe along the most direct line.
French Cavalry patrols are scouting the Western Elbe bank: Napoleon's army is closing on!

Comtedemeighan
Brigadier General

Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:41 pm

Very good AAR :thumbsup:

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

graphic improvements

Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:58 pm

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

A little graphic improvements:Coalition side occupied enemy cities and fortresses are now marked by flags of the two main Coalition powers.
One flag is used as usual to mark cities owning to any power as per scenario start conditions.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:53 pm

Editor Note
Prelude to Leipzig (var.I)- Germany: April-June 1813 scenario will be soon released for public download and included in Modder Times ver 1.01.
[color="RoyalBlue"]While present PBEM and relative AAR was going on, I'm at work with Nikel support over last minute improvements to the scenario.
In detail, I'm attepting to smart up Athena when AI enters the Emperor's boots.
It's interesting I noticed AI takes so long time to move Napoleon's Grand Armée from his spawning area, (nearby Mainz) to the Elbe front-line.
I decided to experience a double deployement issue as a trick: French side player will have Napoleon's Grand Armée deployed around Mainz, by mid April as per historical data. On the other hand, French side Athena will see Napoleon's Grand Armée spawning a game turn later nearby Erfurt, so closer and almost in contact with Coalition forces along the Saale.
Preliminary tests are evidencing an improvement of French AI performance![/color] :wacko:

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Turn 3

Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:14 pm

Turn 3: 22-30 April 1813
Dominant Weather: fine

On the Eastern Front, (Poland, and Eastern Prussia) French are holding inside Danzig and Modlin besieged by Russian and Prussian Forces.
Down here we have an image of the overall local picture at start of game turn 3.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Guess it will add nothing to the knowledge of my opponent.

On the Elbe Front evidences of French Armies movements are reported: Ney’s Corps has been spotted in Eastern Bavaria, while along the Lower Elbe French forces are threatening Hamburg.

Turn resolution
Turn 3 resolution carried no changes but the surrender of Glogau French garrison to Russian besiegers.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:26 pm

Silesia, 11 April 1813
Our patrols spotted French Columns along the Bavarian-Saxon border. Saxon peasants are fleeing the countryside looking for shelter in the fortified cities or hiding in the woods and up hill. The French advance is announced by news of sacks and violence against civilian.
I know such scenes: I saw them so many times in the past years of The French Orc’s wars!

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Silesia, 12 April 1813
Eugene’s French Army is sitting on the western Bank of the Elbe, with the main body north of the Saale. Coalition forces are all around watching the enemy and waiting for orders. The French is within our grasp; we should move fast and crash him…… but no decision comes out of the GHQ. Russian Generals and Marshals are busy over fighting one other: Wittgenstein has his major enemy in the Russian Senior Commanders. The King of Prussia then fears for Napoleon’s return: most of Prussian Army is committed to defend Berlin from the ghosts of Jena defeat. We are wasting times and our best change to bit the enemy: we spent our best hour raising glasses to future victories while quarrelling after plans to prepare them.

Silesia, 15 April 1813
La Tour-Maubourg Cav. Corps has crossed the Elbe and is razing Hamburg countryside. The French Cavalry is weak and cannot menace out troops garrisoning the city: probably the horsemen are just the vanguard of larger infantry Corps forces.

Silesia, 17 April 1813
In the morning I left the GHQ.
Destination: the front line.
My orders: collectc news and examine our troops deployement, then report to HQ.
A young Prussian Lieutenant is with me. My German is terrible, his Russian even worst: we found a good solution speaking French, our enemy language!
On the way we crossed road with a Russian regiment. Most of the troop and their officers look very young: the morale is high although they have been marching for weeks. The regimental band refreshes spirits playing popular Russian songs or a military marches.

http://media.vad1.com/temporary_url_20070929kldcg/preobrajensky-march-znayut-turki-acapella-valaam_1991.mp3

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Game Turn 4

Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:11 am

Turn 4: 01-07 May 1813
Weather: fine

The picture enlist Scenario Objectives list for the Coalition sides: it can greately help to get the overall strategic situation at turn 4 start.
Notice, objectives list for the French side is a bit different
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Here is a brief strategic picture the way it looks to the Coalition player.
French till controls Danzig, Modlin, Zamosch in Poland; Kustrin and Stettin in Prussia along the Oder river.

On the lower Elbe French Corps are pushing for Hamburg, with Davout supporting La Tour-Maubourg Cav. Corps.

Eugene’s Armée du l'Elbe is till sitting inactive in Braunschweig, while Ney’s Corps is watching the Bavarian-Saxon border to the south.

The movement axis of the main French force, La Grande Armée d’Alemagne under direct command of Napoleon is till unknown.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:33 am

Saxony, 21 April
We are in sight of the Elbe. We decided to take shelter for the night at a small village on the eastern bank of the Elbe. We can see Dresden profile shining on the skyline in the down light.
My Prussian companion is a nice and brilliant mate: the few customers at the village tavern were fascinated by his kind moves. Locals provided us with interesting news while answering to my Prussian friend’s innocent looking questions.

Dresden, 22 April
We entered Dresden crossing the major stone bridge on the Elbe. French fled the town in a hurry without disabling the bridges or destroying the depots. The Saxon Royal Court left soon after the French troop.
Wittgenstein HG,
We have been reached by news from Torgau. Saxon General Thielmann, commander of the local fortress jointed the Coalition field, leaving his besieged troops demoralized and close to surrender.
Torgau is the key for controlling the communication lines along the western bank of the Elbe: with the fortress in our hands Wittgenstein Army of Saxony and Prussian Army of Berlin could soon move to support each other.

Wittgenstein HQ, 23 April
The young Marshal, (Wittgenstein) leaded us into a visit of our lines around Dresden. From the hills we could glance at troop and carriage columns movements in the plain. I could notice with my surprise and a bit of disappointment that Wittgenstein did not manage to strengthen Dresden defensive perimeter. The Marshal is looking to engage the enemy on the open field, with his army left flank pivoting on the Elbe and the right flank supported from Corps of the Imperial Reserve Army. Wittgenstein decided to ignore the evidence that the Reserve Army columns are till deployed along the Oder line, watching for French occupied fortresses.

Manstein
Brigadier General

Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:06 am

Congratulations for your AAR :thumbsup:

Here there is a fan your.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:48 pm

Dresden, 22 April, evening
We are back to Wittgenstein’s Army HQ. I soon got feeling something happed: there’s sadness and worry in staff members eyes………
Kutuzov died!
The high command decided to not allow the news to spread among troops…….. They loved, admired and respected the old Marshal: we do not need sad news will level down our soldier’s morale on the eve of a decisive battle!

The game event notification:
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Notice!
Following Russian defeat at Austerlitz, (3rd Coalition war, 1805-1806) Kutuzov was fired and left active service for years.
During the years of the Russian-French alliance, signed at Tilsit, Kutuzov was called back to command the Russian troops in the Struggle against Turks. Kutuzov was put in charge of the Russian army operating against the Turks in Bessarabia. Understanding that his armies would be needed badly in the upcoming fight with the French, he hastily brought the prolonged war to a victorious end and concluded the Treaty of Bucharest, which stated the incorporation of Bessarabia into the Russian Empire. For this success he was made prince.

[color="RoyalBlue"]I do not go after details of the Russo-Turkish War, 1806-1812, but we know NCP DB includes Turkish units too. So introducing new scenarios portraying such war is virtually possible.[/color]

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Turn 4 Resolution

Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:21 pm

Turn 4 Resolution: 01-07 May 1813

French assault to Hamburg was pushed back.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Napoleon moved in Leipzig to open his way to the Elbe. A major battle resolved into a Coalition defeat mounted out.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Torgau surrendered to Coalition Besiegers.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Notice: the two last events were someway related. Torgau besieging forces after the surrender of the French-Saxon garrison were no more locked in place, and marched to the sound of the guns in Leipzig. This troops movement was behind the large scale battle, fought in Leipzid day 4.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:18 pm

Danzig, 23 April
We left Danzig traveling north to Torgau and Madgeburg. The Elbe River western bank lane is not safe for presence of enemy patrols and raiding parties: a Cossack squadrons is now escorting us.
We just left Wurzen when the sound of the guns reached us. It was ahead, to the north: at first we thought of last Blucher's assault to Torgau fortress. The loud voice of the guns was our journey companion for most of the day, moving our minds to run after darkest omens.
That night, we had rest within a small village few miles from Torgau. Fear and doubts rule out minds and our hearts.

Torgau countryside, 24 April
At daybreak we were awaken by the sounds of a disordered mob: the sound of the defeat. Infantrymen, carriages, wagons filled with wounded men, artillery trains, isolated horsemen were fleeing south.
Boney is back! Leading a 1.000 thousands men army he crashed Kleist Korps at Leipzig.
We managed getting more detailed news from some officers: they added doubts to confusion. Someone reported Napoleon was yet in Torgau on the way to move north to Berlin. Others told Blucher was besieged in Torgau on the point to negotiate his surrender. Few ones, in the hurry to resume their flee, stated Napoleon was in pursuit of the Coalition retreating army, maneuvering to outflank and bulge them.
We decided to leave the engulfed main lane and to carry on our travel north way along secondary paths: as soon as we’ll reach Blucher in Torgau, we could be able to understand our best moves for the future.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Game Turn 5

Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:14 pm

Game Turn 5: 08-15 May 1813
Weather: fine & muddy

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
From the ledger, (F5 page) we can have a good portrait of the overall situation at the beginning of turn 5.

Coalition suffered a field defeat at Leipzig loosing some 25,000 men; none the less Coalition morale is till high. French NM is till suffering for the loss of Objectives cities in Germany and Poland theaters.

Coalition is till in control of Fortresses along the Elbe: Hamburg, Magdeburg, Torgau, Dresden. Controlling major crossing points on the Elbe river These fortresses can humper the French advance in the heart of Germany, for the time they'll be in Coalition hands.

The Foreign Entry Level is high and close to the critical 100 value that will trigger the Armistice and the anticipated end of the campaign.

Foreing Entry points are gained by Coalition side over a turn random rate influenced by major objectives control and by historical events as the activity of the continental diplomacy working to disrups Napoleon grasp over Europe.

Austrian Diplomacy:
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Game turn 5: resolution

Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:32 pm

Game turn 5 resolution.

French movements resulted in some minor skirmish in Dessau and Torgau regions.
Hamburg is now besieged by French forces leaded by Davout.
Napoleon's attempts to enter Torgau region have been frustrated.

In Poland Modlin surrendered to Russian besiegers: the fortress control will improve Coalition LOC in sight of increasing efforts to trigger Danzig capitulation.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:24 pm

Torgau, 26 Aprile
A new friend!
On our travel to Torgau we met an Alsatian. The poor hungry and dirty dog was on the watch nearby some dead soldiers dressed with Prussian uniforms. At first he denied us any chance to close up. With kind moves we won his diffidence: he was carrying a neck collar with the insignia of a Prussian regiment. He was probably the regiment mascot. We fed, watered and led him to joint our party.

Torgau, 28 Aprile
The town and the fortress are controlled by a powerful army under command of Marshal Blucher.
The Prussian marshal has been engaged in the battle of Leipzig sending a couple of Korps from his command to help Gen. von Kleist. Although the defeat he trust his chances to hold Torgau and delete Napoleon advance.

Torgau, 1 May
French vanguards pushed for Torgau bottleneck. Blucher held the town and counter-attacked, before retreating within the wounded fortress walls.

Torgau, 2 May
We received good news from the North. The left wing of the French army crossed the Elbe at Hamburg. The enemy was engaged and defeated in some skirmishes, before Hamburg defenders could retreat for safety within the town. As long as we’ll control Hamburg, Magdeburg and Torgau we could frustrate Napoleon’s attempts to advance on Berlin. The Enemy must be aware time is working against France and Napoleon’s plans: we expect for new offensive moves!

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:27 pm

Game turn 6: May 16-21
Fine, Spring Weather

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Secretary of State ledger page evidences the fall of Modlin, now occupied by Coalition. No changes or events to report but a small increase of FEL counter.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:52 pm

Game turn 6: resolution

Operations are starving: mud is slowing down troops movement.
Hamburg and Torgau are besieged by French forces, supported by Observation Corps in adjacent regions.
Coalition Garrisons are at full ranks and supplied.
Small French units swipped out of Coalition controlled fortresses ZOC and spawned nearby Dresden.

The FEL counter is near to the critical 100 level that will trigger the Armistice and the anticipated end of the campaign!

Return to “Wars of Napoleon AARs”