lodilefty

Unit and Model cache file toggle

Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:33 pm

With the advent of the Models.cached and Units.cached, I can't count the number of times I was puzzled when a new or changed Model/Unit didn't seem to be effective. :bonk:

These files are created when you first load the game, but only if there is no version of the files existing!

The caches do significantly reduce game load time, especially in newer games with voluminous models and units (RoP,RED, VGN), so I don't recommend leaving these "on" for routine play (I use JSGME to swap the file in/out)

To help your modding/dev work, simply put the attached file in \Settings folder of your game, delete the two cache files, and viola :blink: , the caches will not be created!

I've confirmed that this works in WIA 1.08 rc6, and AACW 1.16 beta 7.

(It allows testing of AACW beta 7 while we await the Master's fix of the "cache crash" bug :w00t :)
Attachments
CacheOff.rar
(115 Bytes) Downloaded 282 times
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Gray_Lensman

Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:00 am

deleted

Gray_Lensman

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:35 pm

deleted

lodilefty

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:19 pm

Yes, I forgot tho mention that Pocus usually includes the latest cache in the patches.... :bonk:

Not sure what you mean by "game specific". The file as uploaded merely goes into \Settings as is...

...unless you mean an "installer" that specifies the path, in which case yes, we'd need one for each game.

IMHO, the "target" is modders and devs, who know how to put a file in the right place ;)

Before we do much for the "other games", lets hear from Pocus too. After all, there may be "something under the hood" also affected (but I haven't seen anything odd in WIA with Cache off) :D
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Gray_Lensman

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:25 pm

deleted

Return to “VIP Modding & AGE Engine Novelties forum”