No
21%

Total votes: 34
Beren
Captain

Interested in NC with diplomacy?

Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:06 am

Afeter seeing this...

In my opinion, there is no real interest in covering the Napoleonic era with such an engine... we would miss our target on both counts, as the engine would not meet the level of military details required for a good Napoleonic game and the economic and social engine would be 'too much' for the same...

Are you interested in a future expansion with diplomacy and then playing grand campaigns and multiplayer like for example Empiren in Arms boargame?
"... tell the Emperor that I am facing Russians.
If they had been Prussians, I'd have taken the
position long ago."
- Marshal Ney, 1813

kierun
Conscript

Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:22 am

I am very much interested.
[SIZE="1"]Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est semper esse puerum. Quid enim est aetas hominis, nisi ea memoria rerum veterum cum superiorum aetate contexitur? [color="Indigo"]Marcus Tillius Cicero[/color][/size]

Prussian Prince
Captain

Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:23 pm

You Got My Vote!
Player of many Ageod Games : AACW, ROP, BOA2 and PON!

Beta Tester for EU2 and HOI3:thumbsup:

arsan

Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:27 pm

Definitely YES!!! :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:
As I have posted on the other thread,
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?p=51097#post51097

I hope with this Phillipe means he didn’t plan for a Napoleonic “Victoria” like game.

But I hope we get an AGEOD game similar in concept to Empires in Arms or Crown of Glory.
An AACW set on Napoleonic Europe with several playable countries and full diplomacy is what I dream!! :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs:

Bruit Bleu

Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:47 pm

I'm not interested by diplomacy in a operative-strategic game like BoA or ACW. There are only two sides in these games...

I think the gameplay is not suited for peace or inactivity periods, like it was said in another thread :

Adlertag wrote:Currently, 1806-1807 campaign is cut in two sparate scenarios , first covers Prussian Campaign until Iena-Auerstadt and the second the Campaign in Poland, after Eylau until Friedland.
A single grand scenario is possible but during the transition between the 2 campaigns, Napoleon took his winter quarters (at Warsaw in december 1806-january 1807) so just before Eylau there isn't intense activity (military speaking) and it is not (maybe) very attractive in terms of gameplay.
That's the reason to cut into 2 scenarios.

But diplomacy will be part of Ageod's next game, Vainglory of Nation -- so maybe is it the future of NCP ?

caranorn

Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:51 pm

Essentially NCP with diplomacy, economy (raising of units, construction of naval forces etc.) etc. Anything else I might have to see in a demo first, though I trust Ageod enough to believe they'd provide us with agreat game (then again, I likewise trusted Paradox a few years ago, yet I haven't bought most of their recent games...). Then again Phil Thibaut has a long history for good products, so there probably is no need to fret over future quality.
Marc aka Caran...

Clovis

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:14 pm

NCP should come with diplomacy module in a version 2.0 after the release of VGN which should be the first to get a diplomatic model.

Pocus

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:02 pm

This poll is based on a misunderstanding of Philippe Thibaut sentence. He is not saying that we think that a Napoleonic game with a diplomacy module and economic would have no interest. All the team will be thrilled when the time has come to do such a game.

He is saying that doing a Napoleonic game with the level of details we are heading for VGN will not do.

VGN will have less details in the military system compared to Napo Campaigns or ACW, as players will act at the corps level. See what he says, word by word and you will understand:

as the [VGN] engine would not meet the level of military details required for a good Napoleonic game

On the other hand, we will have an impressive (believe me!) economic system (no micro-managing though, yes we can do that :) ) for VGN, which will be too much for a Napoleon II...

the [VGN] economic and social engine would be 'too much' for the same

Hope it clears the issues.

Now that clarifications are made, a general comment: Creating a game engine which can sustains many periods and contexts does not mean that our games will be more and more detailed, at all levels. We will have different focus and levels of details in each of our game on the contrary, always remaining with a as clear as possible vision of what we want.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

denisonh
Captain

Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:33 pm

I think that translating the current successes at operational level with limited/scripted diplomatic events into a comprehensive political-diplomatic-military game with a solid design, smooth gameplay, and a good AI will be a difficult task. I think that there are a number of intervening steps to be taken between publishing NCP and a game on the scope of "Empires in Arms".

I would like to see how VGN goes and see how much closer the game system is progressing towards a comprehensive Napoleonic era game. The economic and diplomatic elements will be key in that time period, and should provide a good intermediate step towards a more robust Napoleonic game for the gaming system.

I am more than happy to have AGEOD make games, each a little different and better than the last. If it takes a couple more games that begin to work in the direction of a large Napoleonic game, then great.

I am sure than AGEOD will eventuially get there, but maybe not with NCP.

Sol Invictus

Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:41 pm

Agreed, slow and steady wins the race. I don't want to see Pocus choke on a huge gulp of champagne; much better to take small sips. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

GShock

Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:52 pm

Voted yes. :siffle:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

pailleterie
Captain

Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:19 am

I think that i want both of then campaigns with diplomacy and production, and historical campaigns with historical aliances and armies. For example I like a NCP expansion with one historical campaign of Marengo and one huge campaign with diplomacy and production. I think that both of them are fun.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:22 pm

Well I would like a sort of grand campaign as well, but I don't want much "production", in the sense that I think a few options à la AACW should do : recruits more soldiers, build a few arsenals, put the accent on ships or not, and that is basically it...

I don't want a "Victoria" like game because it would be too complicated... I think a Napoleon game is a Wargame above all in which peace time should go fast because there should'nt be much to do...

Prussian Prince
Captain

Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:04 pm

A campaign game with limited production would be great. You could raise manpower with events that are geared toward what happens both militarily and diplomatically.

Example:

French beat Coalition Kingdoms (allies) in 1805. An event triggers creating the Confederation of the Rhine and gives manpower. Of course this is Conferation manpower and can only be used to build German troops and they are depolyed in various German States.

On the other hand Coalition Forces defeat the French in 1813 and an event triggers causing the German Forces, either in part or in whole, to defect to the Allies, including German manpower points.

Instead of production you get events that allow production of new troops at certain times. Unlike AACW you don't draft every year, though this was historical and an event could simulate this, you can only build when events allow.

Just some of my thoughts.

Stewart
Player of many Ageod Games : AACW, ROP, BOA2 and PON!

Beta Tester for EU2 and HOI3:thumbsup:

Adlertag

Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:29 pm

Prussian Prince wrote:French beat Coalition Kingdoms (allies) in 1805. An event triggers creating the Confederation of the Rhine and gives manpower. Of course this is Conferation manpower and can only be used to build German troops and they are depolyed in various German States.

In NCP , you already have many events that will add a small amount of diplomacy and economy , although not a complete system in both cases.
For example, event Confederation of the Rhine is planned and will have for effect to add some troops, nearly as you imagine it.
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

Tirailleur
Private

Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:02 pm

I think it's a shame that the napoleonic era is always fixed on an Europe map. O.k., the main historical course of action has only taken place in Europe. But what if you wanna show, for example as a little corsican hobby general :dada: , the digital world, what you will do after you've beaten the russian empire in 1812. Wouldn't it be nice to kick England out off India? :siffle:
Perhaps it had been Napoleon's next goal, but unfortunately it isn't possible with the napoleonic games. Somewhere along the way you reach the Ural of your computer screen and can not carry on with your next campaign. :8o:

So I think a kind of napoleonic VGN wouldn't so bad. If the armystructure is only on the corps level is no problem, all major generals would be in the game.

(Dear AGEOD people this should in no way criticize your fantastic games - I love your games, I will buy them all... :coeurs: )

Adlertag

Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:54 pm

Tirailleur wrote:, the digital world, what you will do after you've beaten the russian empire in 1812. Wouldn't it be nice to kick England out off India? :siffle:

All you can expect with Napoleon's "Grande Armée" in Russia is a forced peace with the Tsar by taking Moscow in NCP , 1812 scenario. And even so, history prove it was unsufficient. So looking forward to India is a chimera...

murat
Lieutenant

Armistice

Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:13 am

I'm very interested to dipolmatic expansion of Napoleon's campaigns.
I ask you a question.
What function the armistice or the surrender for Great POwer (playables faction) and for the Minor Allies (like Bavaria,Westfalia, Poland) in the present status of the game?

Tanks
Murat

Adlertag

Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:11 pm

In NCP, you play French and allies as one side and coalition (belonging nations depend of the scenario) as another. So conditions of victory are focused on objective cities to gain if you want to achieve victory with enough national morale (NM) , the first layer of victory conditions.
Scenario are constructed, for the most, around a new historic coalition and generally end with the defeat of that coalition, the surrender of one nation is then sufficient to give victory.
But to know more about that subject and how allies are involved in the game, PhilThib may answer you better than I. :hat:

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”