Palpat
Colonel

Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:02 pm

Well, I do recall to have read somewhere stories of some ceremony recalling the russian campaign in 1913, and that old russians veterans were part of the stuff.

Edit: I remember, it was in Raymond Poincaré's (french head of state at that time) diary.

So, veterans were still alive in 1913, it might be possible for them to have talk to someone, let's say, born in 1900.

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:06 am

Well, for comparison purpose I think the last "Poilu" (nickname for French soldiers that fought in WW1) has passed away last year.

So, I'll be really amazed.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Adlertag

Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:51 am

Korrigan wrote:Well, for comparison purpose I think the last "Poilu" (nickname for French soldiers that fought in WW1) has passed away last year.

So, I'll be really amazed.

It still remains 2 French "Poilus" from WWI :

Louis de Cazenave (16-10-1897) : born Saint Georges d'Aurac.
Lazare Ponticelli (07-12-1897) : born Bettola (Italy).

Concerning veteran of Napoleonic wars, the oldest one was Lieutenant Vincent Markiewicz , born 1794 , incorporated in "Lanciers Polonais" at 18 years old then served in Imperial Guard ( Chevaux-Légers). He followed Napoleon and his battles, until Waterloo.
His story is amazing, he then goes into Russian army , fought several battles in Hungary and Ottoman Empire and finally he fought with Garibaldi for Italian Independance !
He died in 1903 , he was 109 years old.

So the answer is : yes he could have met , in theory, one of our "Poilu", for example between 1898 and 1903.
It is possible but it certainly didn't occur.
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

Pocus

Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:44 pm

Indeed, a national celebration will be held in honor of the last poilu dying in France, and this is a kind of thing that I don't miss.

Speaking of very old veterans, the oldest civil war soldiers died in 1936 I think (or perhaps 1933 I'm citing from memory). He was a drumboy who engaged in 1865 and never saw a battle, but still, this is amazing to think this man saw his nation teared apart, then saw how US of A helped France in 1917, and then finally saw the rise of Adolf Hitler.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Sol Invictus

Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:08 pm

Indeed, that is seeing much conflict in a single life.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Ignatz
Civilian

Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:48 pm

Pocus wrote:Speaking of very old veterans, the oldest civil war soldiers died in 1936 I think (or perhaps 1933 I'm citing from memory). He was a drumboy who engaged in 1865 and never saw a battle, but still, this is amazing to think this man saw his nation teared apart, then saw how US of A helped France in 1917, and then finally saw the rise of Adolf Hitler.

Actually Pocus, while most Civil War veterans didn't live until the coming of World War II, a few not only survived into the 1930's, but were still alive two decades later!

The last undisputed living Union war veteran was Albert Woolson, who is probably the drummer boy you are speaking of in your message, who lived until 1956. So not only did he see the rise and fall of the Confederacy, but the Third Reich, too!

Le Ricain

Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:49 pm

Scotlands's last remaining WWI veteran, Alfred Anderson, died in 2005 aged 109. Anderson had enlisted in 1914 in the Black Watch and was the sole remaining survivor of the unauthorised Christmas Truce of 1914.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Pocus

Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:48 am

@ Ignatz: Yes you are right. Even more striking and impressive.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Florent

Différentes options.

Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:11 am

J'ai commencé à lire la campagne de 1809 du Colonel Molières en 2 tomes et sortis depuis 2003 et 2004. En lisant le chapitre concernant les plans Autrichiens proposés à l'archiduc Charles (Plans Mayer et Comte de Brünn. Charles prit finalement le deuxième choix mais en empruntant un peu au premier.) je me suis demandé si ces plans seraient dans le jeu. En 1806 les Prussiens avaient 3 possibilités dont une ( un combat retardateur )le repli derrière l'Elbe pour attendre les Russes, était redouté par Napoléon car empêchant la prise de position centrale entre les Prussiens et les Russes. Est-ce que le moteur du jeu ou IA au moment du lancement de la partie calculera sur un pourcentage le plan de jeu pour l'IA. L'avantage c'est que comme dans la réalité, le joueur devra lancer des reco pour connaitre le dispositif ennemi et réagir en prenant les dispositions pour les corps et choisir un lieu de concentration. Je suppose qu'une armée se déplacera moins vite qu'un corps et que au début les lourdes formations de la coalition seront moins rapides.
Je pose cette question sur les plans car ce sont des possibilités historiques (peut-être allez vous aussi ajouter des plans nés de votre imagination) et je pense à la rejouabilité. Est ce que le Prussien sera toujours sur Iéna, l'Autrichien sur Ulm, etc... Cela risque d'être ennuyeux s'il n'y a pas de surprise quand au plan choisi par l'IA. La question "Ou est l'ennemi et quelles sont ses intentions ? que tous les Généraux se posaient devraient être dans le jeu.

Pdubya64
Captain

Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:50 am

I makes me sad when I think that the great majority of WWII vets will soon leave us.

My own father is now 83 years old and like many vets from the "Greatest Generation", his recollections can be very vivid... it's events from yesterday he can't recall. Pop served in the US Navy (so did his brother, my uncle and myself!) from 1941-1946. He was an Aviation Ordinanceman and was part of VBF-16 (Fighter/Bomber 16) on both the USS Bon Homme Richard and USS Randolph in the Pacific with Task Force 58. He went through the famous typhoon and said the waves were breaking over the top of the carrier deck (80ft!).
Like most WWII vets, he is reluctant to talk about the war- at least the bad parts, and this from someone who was involved in a "long range" engagement with the enemy, unlike foot soldiers. We owe them so much!

I am greatful that shows like Band of Brothers were made before it was too late. So many other stories are lost forever. :p leure:

rederik
Conscript

Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:30 am

Is there some news respect the day of exit of the game and his price? This way I can get organized with my credit card for time. :)

Edit
I have read the first message and I have noticed that it should go out for Q4 2007, it's too soon I suppose. :rolleyes:

Adlertag

Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:20 am

rederik wrote:Is there some news respect the day of exit of the game and his price? This way I can get organized with my credit card for time. :)

Edit
I have read the first message and I have noticed that it should go out for Q4 2007, it's too soon I suppose. :rolleyes:

I think Q4 2007 ( around Christmas) is still a good pronostic. :)
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Sounds Promising

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:50 pm

Pocus wrote:Napoleon's Campaigns is an evolution of the AGE engine, with the pros and cons associated with that. The pros being for example that you know you get a very solid engine with a lot of details already fine tuned. The cons are that you won't get things like a tactical engine, a map with hexes and such. So speaking of battles, you will get a reworked battle reports but still close in spirit to the AACW one. We hope to provide you one more neat thing into the report though: a 'pictorial' log of all actions undertaken by your units during combat.

Pocus,
I think doing the Nappy game with an updated AGEOD engine cuts down on player learning time by providing us with an already familiar game engine. I never liked the games that tried to do strategic map moves with tactical map battles. When playing a campaign battles are merely sideshows best done quickly so we can get back to the campaign. Those games wasted too much time on the tactical garbage and shortsheeted the strategic level of the game. I like the BoA game engine with WEGO turns. Giving us more detailed battle reports is a nice touch that gives us more battle info without wasting our time on a poor tactical battle system.
Omnius

Florent

Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:10 pm

I totally agree with you Omnius. This system really shines at the Strategico-Operational level. The next game will surely introduce test about regiments or battalion able to form square or failing to do so.

arsan

Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:06 pm

Hey!!

We have new Nappy banner and even an official page!!!!!!!! :nuts: :nuts:
http://www.napoleons-campaigns.com/index.en.html
Not much in it yet but looks great!! :coeurs: :coeurs:
Vive l'Empereur!! :dada:

oi_you_nutter
Corporal

Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:31 pm

although being in the USA, i purchased BoA and AACW direct from AGEOD, they are now offered via Matrix Games...

will Napoleons Campaigns also be published by Matrix Games or will the Nobilis change the marketing of the new game in the US ?

PhilThib

Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:50 pm

Too early to say...afaik we shall sell the download version directly ourselves :coeurs:

Sol Invictus

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:05 pm

Well, there is another site in my favorites. I am really looking forward to NC.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Hell Patrol
Lieutenant

Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:50 pm

:siffle: I call first download, Vive L'Empereur!

Schmidt
Captain

Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:49 am

Salut Phil,

Je croyais que t'avais quitter Nobilis et consort pour te consacrer à AGEOD.
Mais je vais regarder sur le site et j'espère que ton nom est bien présent... ;)

oi_you_nutter
Corporal

Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:48 pm

PhilThib wrote:Too early to say...afaik we shall sell the download version directly ourselves :coeurs:

if it help AGEOD get a bigger slice of the money AND allows me to get my hands on the game quicker... then i will continue to buy direct from AGEOD

PhilThib

Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:59 am

That will be the case most likely, because even if we launch the game at the same time, the retail version alwasys takes much longer to reach foreign ( translate = North America) markets :innocent:

Bruit Bleu

Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:53 pm

arsan wrote:We have new Nappy banner and even an official page!!!!!!!! :nuts: :nuts:
http://www.napoleons-campaigns.com/index.en.html
Not much in it yet but looks great!! :coeurs: :coeurs:

On peut y voir un drole de petit drapeau francophone : Image
Est-il napoléonien ? Je suis curieux : je ne l'avais jamais rencontré :o

PhilThib

Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:50 am

Oui, c'est le drapeau de l'infanterie française à l'époque...

arsan

Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:10 am

I love this combat flag. I find it so cool!! :tournepas :niark:

Bruit Bleu

Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:16 pm

Merci pour le renseignement :o

Lu sur un historique du drapeau français :
En 1804, Napoléon attribue aux régiments d'infanterie le drapeau au losange central blanc avec les triangles des quatre angles alternativement bleus et rouges.

1812, Napoléon donne à ses régiments un drapeau carré tricolore dont les couleurs sont disposées comme celles du drapeau national (le pavillon de marine de 1794).

Jojo le Gouffy
Captain

Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:27 pm

Si j'ai bien regardé les scénarii proposés, toutes les campagnes de Bonaparte (= avant 1804) ne sont pas incluses. Je me trompe ?
Seront-elles l'objet d'un add-on?

PhilThib

Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:43 pm

Exactement...cela viendra dans un second opus avec les éléments requis pour jouer une vraie grande campagne complète (diplomatie, économie...)...si le jeu N°1 se vend bien :sourcil:

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

In Stores?

Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:45 pm

PhilThib wrote:Too early to say...afaik we shall sell the download version directly ourselves :coeurs:

PhilThib,
Will AGEOD's games be available in stores? I don't like shopping via the internet, I'm just an old-fashioned brick-and-mortar kind of shopper. I liked it better when you were with Strategy First and I could find your games in EB Games or Best Buy. Do you sell your games through Target? I got one a few blocks away and that would be nice and convenient. I sure hope AGEOD will do something to put their games into stores for us old fuddy duddy shoppers.
Omnius

PhilThib

Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:40 pm

It will...the question is "when"...In other words, if you live in the US, it shall depend on the date it is launched in retail on the US market by the North American publisher of the game...an unknown thing today... :niark:

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”