Ayeshteni
Captain

French Armies in Lisbon vanish!!

Wed May 12, 2010 7:56 pm

Playing the Penensula campaign as the French. Junot is holed up in Lisbon (locked) and Wellington and the British arrive to spoil my fun. I sent Monceys Corps to Lisbon to bolster the defenses. Moncey arrives and beats the British assault.

Next turn, all my French Armies have vanished into thin air and the only unit left is a single Westphalian infantry regiment. :bonk:

Coalition Portuguese troops have popped up in Lisbon province and the Brits (under some Major General) have been pushed north of the city.

I don't get it. What happened?

Screenies:

Aye.
"You, O English, who have no right to this Kingdom of France, the King of Heaven orders and commands you through me, Joan the Maid, to leave your fortress and return to your country, and if you do not, so I shall make an uproar that will be perpetually remembered! Behold that I write to you for the third and final time: I shall write to you no further." - Jehanne d'Arc, Orleans 1428

PhilThib

Wed May 12, 2010 8:25 pm

Check if you have received the event "Convention of Cintra", this is an historical event which indeed removes the French Army in Portugal (it will reappear a few turns later in Bayonne) :cool:

Ayeshteni
Captain

Wed May 12, 2010 8:35 pm

PhilThib wrote:Check if you have received the event "Convention of Cintra", this is an historical event which indeed removes the French Army in Portugal (it will reappear a few turns later in Bayonne) :cool:

Nope. No event. Also Junots Army and Monceys relief force were two seperate armies.

Aye.
"You, O English, who have no right to this Kingdom of France, the King of Heaven orders and commands you through me, Joan the Maid, to leave your fortress and return to your country, and if you do not, so I shall make an uproar that will be perpetually remembered! Behold that I write to you for the third and final time: I shall write to you no further." - Jehanne d'Arc, Orleans 1428

Nikel

Wed May 12, 2010 8:51 pm

This is an old bug. No notification for the french player of Cintra Event, unfortunately never fixed

It is supposed that Junot's Armée du Portugal has been defeated by Wellesley in the battle of Vimeiro, no you did not fought it but it is what happened historically :D . After that, happened Cintra convention and the Armee was allowed to come back to France in british ships! Quite embarrassing. Dalrymple was the British that signed the convention, not Wellesley that could came back later to command

Ayeshteni
Captain

Wed May 12, 2010 8:58 pm

Nikel wrote:This is an old bug. No notification for the french player of Cintra Event, unfortunately never fixed

It is supposed that Junot's Armée du Portugal has been defeated by Wellesley in the battle of Vimeiro, no you did not fought it but it is what happened historically :D . After that, happened Cintra convention and the Armee was allowed to come back to France in british ships! Quite embarrassing. Dalrymple was the British that signed the convention, not Wellesley that could came back later to command

OK. So will I just get Junots Army back? Or will I get all the units that disappeared in the province?

Ayeshteni

Nikel

Wed May 12, 2010 9:02 pm

Yes, as PhilThib said, with Napoleon

Ayeshteni
Captain

Wed May 12, 2010 9:07 pm

Nikel wrote:Yes, as PhilThib said, with Napoleon

Sorry to be annoying, but I just want to be clear so I know whether to play on or go back to an earlier save where I stop Moncey going to the Lisbon province...

Is the 'Yes' to:
1) "So will I just get Junots Army back?"

or:

2) "Or will I get all the units that disappeared in the province?"

As I said there was two French armies in the province.

Ayeshteni

PhilThib

Wed May 12, 2010 9:25 pm

1) only unfortunately :(

Ayeshteni
Captain

Wed May 12, 2010 9:34 pm

PhilThib wrote:1) only unfortunately :(

OK, Thanks for the answers. :cool: I will go back to an earlier save.

Ayeshteni

PhilThib

Wed May 12, 2010 9:41 pm

Thanks for your understanding....it's true we have here one of those special cases where the "historical" event turns out wrongly... difficult to plan all possibilities.... we are lacking some keys to determine if there was victory or defeat at some land battle...We shall need more thinking into alternatives here :bonk:

Nikel

Wed May 12, 2010 10:04 pm

Oh, I see this a bug with multiple faces...

The event will remove any french unit in Lisbon and Moncey was not supposed to be there :D

PhilThib

Thu May 13, 2010 7:00 am

Exactly... and no way to guess what the French player will do :bonk:

lodilefty

Thu May 13, 2010 11:27 am

PhilThib wrote:Exactly... and no way to guess what the French player will do :bonk:

This begins to sound like the Saxon Capitulation events ;) :blink:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Nikel

Thu May 13, 2010 11:30 am

This is a perfect example of the eternal battle between historical and gamey.

IIRC somebody commented some time ago that if Junot's Armee is attacked, is also unlocked and you may take it out of Lisbon and so saveit from the event.

In that case I guess he will get another Junot's Armee (a corps with Napoleon) later :bonk:

But in this particular case, if Moncey defeated Wellesley, then Cintra would have never happened, or in any case an inverted Cintra :mdr:

IMHO this event should be removed, because is a direct consecuence of a battle, and that battle may not be fought, or even as in this case have the opposite result

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”