Mowers
Captain

Replacements

Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:39 pm

So i click on the ledger and order for drafts of new forces.

Every turn the list of forces that are apparently coming gets longer, but they never seem to turn up? Or am I incorrect?

Do they turn up automatically? Or how do I get them to appear?

I have about 100 odd units "waiting to arrive"

And how do i build forts? The manual says Shift-F or control-F (cant remember now) but it never occurs to work.

moloko
Conscript

Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:46 am

I was wondering about that too. The replacements are parcelled out by the system, but I'm not sure how it proiritizes who gets them....probably influenced by leaders and proximity to depot perhaps?

At any rate, I wish i could pick where my replacements go.

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

How to Absorb Replacements

Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:13 pm

Replacements can be somewhat confusing but the trick to having your units absorb replacements is making sure that you move your depleted units to depots where they can absorb replacements. Think of doing a 3 step dance - Move, Fight, Rest. Resting on depots does double duty as your depleted units can absorb replacements while recovering cohesion losses. Replacements are randomly absorbed by your units and that's much more realistic than allowing players perfect replacement placement.

Unfortunately replacements are a bit of a sore subject as they are very poorly thought out as regards the scenarios and what's in the armies. You'll find way too many replacements for some types of units like militia that sit on the screen instead of getting absorbed. There's also little in the way of light artillery so those replacements end up wasted while your medium artillery never has enough because they get wasted on fortress artillery that was poorly set up in the scenario design.

As to the military options for buying more replacements be careful what and when you buy. Artillery especially as you don't want those precious artillery replacements being wasted on out of the way fortress units. For artillery it's better to wait for your depleted artillery units to get on depots before buying so that when artillery replacements arrive you've got units that will absorb them before they get wasted on fortress artillery.

Prins van Oranje
Corporal

Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:09 am

Units/formations set to a 'passive' combat stance also get higher priority in replacement allocation.
Alte Vorwarts!

tonedog
Corporal

Mon May 23, 2011 7:22 pm

from the manual

the following units may not receive replacements -

elements that are part of a divisional component unit (component units must first be detached from divisions).

what does this mean?

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”