Are you still interested in NCP and want a new patch ?

Yes of course. Still play it and want it to be patched. The last patch was a lot of time ago
73%
No. NCP development has already concluded and AGEod should better concentrate on new games
17%
Indifferent. I have not bought NCP and will not buy it even though it is patched
10%

Total votes: 48
Nikel

Thu May 21, 2009 5:33 pm

stegosarus_army wrote:a last patch would be great. Here's what i think should be looked at.
1: work on/ fix scenarios
2:AI
3:Retrofit from WIA or other AGEOD games
4:fix any bugs that may be present

I guess you will have to be more specific regarding points 1 and 4. If you know of any bug or have any concrete suggestion, please post it ;)

stegosarus_army
Sergeant

Fri May 22, 2009 4:59 am

As for #1, In the Thames or Danube scenerio, the French army has a tendancy to stay in Boulogne. I think this is more of an Ai issue though.

I dont know of any specific bugs or anything.

The ability to see ingame if square formed or calvary charge occured would be a nice feature... if its possible.

Paul Roberts

Fri May 22, 2009 4:00 pm

I've always had a fondness for NCP, and a new patch would be just the thing to lure me back from all the tedious effort I'm spending on the real world right now.

I have a question--I don't know whether this is an issue or not.

I seem to recall, way back when, that there was some talk of imbalance in the modeling of unit sizes. The details escape me, but it was something like this: the typical French element is a larger formation (a battalion, say) while the typical Prussian element is a smaller one (e.g. a company). [This is a made-up example. As I say, memory fails me.] This has effects on the likelihood of a particular element breaking in battle, as the same losses applied to a smaller element will mean a greater percentage loss to that element.

Does anyone recall this issue? Is it actually an issue, or does the combat model somehow compensate for it?

arsan

Fri May 22, 2009 4:27 pm

Hi

Yes, this was an issue but IIRC on one of the patches (1.03?? 1.04??) was looked at and fixed (or at least improved) by tweaking the stats of many unit models.
Something similar was done with the allied leaders stats, tweaking them to solve or at least reduce the overpowering stats of many French leaders.
Probably the solutions were not perfect but it was definitely an improvement. :thumbsup:

SkyWestNM
Sergeant

This is gonna be long and perhaps not in the right thread but I think pertinent

Sat May 23, 2009 8:42 pm

First off, if I'm way off thread I welcome your moving this post as appropriate. :)

I'm not an owner of NCP YET and my interest in the Napoleonic time period is fairly low. One of my good friends bought both it and AACW and would probably prefer NCP but thinks NCP is a bit underbaked in comparison between the two. I will prolly buy NCP or NCP2 at some point merely from my love of history. My interest, I think, about patches is important. And AGEOD has seemed, to me, to be an unusual wargaming company in paying closer attention than most to its customers with continuing refined patches. At least that is my experience over on AACW.

After seeing several folks banned on the AGEOD forums, out of curiosity to see what it takes to get banned, I just finished a two hour read of the controversy stirred up by Gshock and Jasta V both here and over at Matrix which dealt, in large measure, with the beta end of NCP. I read those who chose to stay like Nikel et al. I think the controversy being public was actually a positive contribution and a confirmation, to me, of the difficulty of pleasing and keeping in step with all attitudes, all the time. It was handled with a high degree of professionalism by most, most of the time, including the Matrix company response.

Having been in the business end of the gaming boardgame profession for my career, I understand the absolute need for a "customer militia" to enable financial ends to meet for a young or startup company. I was dismayed to see such articulate and fervent contributors cutting themselves loose from the mother lode when their expectations weren't fulfilled. Jasta V had over 1400 posts with most being truly dedicated to the product. Yet it is easy to see when customer dedication, fervor and feelings for a product run so incredibly high, so do personal expectations.

HOWEVER, I know what a tight rope walk it is for management to balance company needs with egos, dedication levels of volunteers, their expectations, and the company need of many (rare) skills to bake a cake. In fact, FWIW, I've now had recurring old dreams matching my own career experiences in management with these same challenges faced by dedicated customers and AGEOD management. Including NCA's.
:wacko:

I think, when tempers flare because expectations aren't (or can't) be met it provides an interesting insight into the sometimes competiting agendas of the participants, thier chosen weapons in the fight to get their desires met and their social skills in dealing with each other when not getting their expectations met or when they diverge from management's chosen/perceived best interests. It requires an exceedingly delicate dance and well developed set of social skills on the part of all to keep the train on the track moving in the same perceived direction.

OK, ok...lemme get to my point.

AGEOD has, prolly at considerable cost to management time, money and energy, and considerable energy and time to its volunteers, created customer expectation of continuing refinement of product. This, at the cost of no meaningful income derived in that process until release of a sequel. And this, relying on the continuing volunteered dedication of "customer militia", who sometimes feel their contributions and fervent dedication give them increased participative entitlement to help management decide which correct "railroad switches" to open and when to do so.

Having seen and revelled in that management choice, observers like myself, are interested in seeing how AGEOD handles a product, like NCP, to which grognards request further refinement when it may be an unprofitable avenue. It seems like a handful of people are clamoring for a (long overdue?) patch.

From a direct income standpoint it may not seem as critical in the face of the "on the cusp to be released" money makers. Certainly it dilutes focus. But I am interested to see how AEGOD handles the always continuing balance between time, money, love of history and its committment to refinement of product. Especially with NCP, a product I admittedly have only a personal lukewarm interest in. I shall not begrudge either directional descision so long as it is handled with the truth in this moment and a committment to honesty when/if renegotiation becomes necessary. But I just thought you should know that interested eyes are watching. ;)

I wish you well and good luck with your difficult choices. :thumbsup:

SkyWestNM

Pocus

Mon May 25, 2009 2:55 pm

A fine analysis, SkyWestNM... No decision has been made regarding patching NCP. On the one hand, we can patch the engine itself without too much difficulties (if the aim is to clear known bugs in the code and improve the AI). On the other, patching the historical data and rebalancing/clearing issues in the scenarios and campaigns is tougher, as it would involve some significant time on our side, and believe me, time is running thin for us on many things. So unless there is someone ressembling a clone of Gray_Lensman but for NCP, I doubt we can update the data as the players would like. We are hitting the hard wall of reality here, we don't have the human resources to overhaul the historical data of NCP before the release of both ROP and VGN, if it has to be done internally.
So if this is not acceptable by people, there won't be any patch, at all. If some can provide turnkeys solutions to the most accute problems (like the HQ loss problem in the Peninsula Campaign), then we can patch a bit the historical data.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

stegosarus_army
Sergeant

Mon May 25, 2009 5:03 pm

just patching the engine would be acceptable for me. A patch that fixes a couple of things is better than no patch at all. All the hard work is much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Gray_Lensman

Mon May 25, 2009 5:08 pm

deleted

Carnium

Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:16 am

After reinstalling and playing NPC scenarios for a few days I realised that Generalisimo was right when he said
Well, then I must say that I voted no... I preffer to see the effort of Pocus on an "hypothetic" NCP2 with a full campaign in place.

Generalisimo

Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:21 pm

Carnium wrote:After reinstalling and playing NPC scenarios for a few days I realised that Generalisimo was right when he said

Great minds think alike! :siffle:
:thumbsup: :mdr:
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Ebbingford

Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:31 pm

Well, then I must say that I voted no... I preffer to see the effort of Pocus on an "hypothetic" NCP2 with a full campaign in place.

In case people hadn't noticed there is already a grand campaign in NCP, namely the Peninsular War. I might be wrong but IIRC it's the longest campaign in number of turns in any AGEOD game :thumbsup: It was my main reason for buying and playing NCP, a campaign that you can really get your teeth into. Unfortunately to play this with hardened attrition on for a human player and not the AI you need your HQ's to be able to regain strength, at present they can't. To get a good game against the AI the AI needs to be able to receive replacement HQs as it frequently looses the ones it's got. Even if a patch comes out that just fixes this one issue it would be worth it in my opion.

Generalisimo

Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:41 pm

Ebbingford wrote:In case people hadn't noticed there is already a grand campaign in NCP, namely the Peninsular War. I might be wrong but IIRC it's the longest campaign in number of turns in any AGEOD game :thumbsup: It was my main reason for buying and playing NCP, a campaign that you can really get your teeth into. Unfortunately to play this with hardened attrition on for a human player and not the AI you need your HQ's to be able to regain strength, at present they can't. To get a good game against the AI the AI needs to be able to receive replacement HQs as it frequently looses the ones it's got. Even if a patch comes out that just fixes this one issue it would be worth it in my opion.

Well, that's obviously not a "full" campaign... at least, not what we were talking about. ;) :D
But yes, that scenario is the longest one ever! :thumbsup:
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Prins van Oranje
Corporal

Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:58 am

NCP2 can wait. Surely a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Besides, a new game is no guarantee of a better game - cf: Imperialism and Imperialism II.

Besides, a new patch keeps u one step ahead of the pirates, n'est pas?
Alte Vorwarts!

stegosarus_army
Sergeant

Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:15 am

so is a last patch still in consideration or not until release of RoP ?
I've been playing alot of NCP lately.

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”