oxford_guy
Corporal

Some questions about depots and supply wagons

Wed May 07, 2008 11:24 pm

I've sort-off got how supply works in NPC, but was wondering if there is an in-depth tutorial on this, as some things still aren't clear to me.

For example, how do I replenish a used-up supply wagon? I tried taking some to a rear-area home city, which had loads of supply, but they still seemed to stay empty. How can ships be used to provide supply, I know transports can be used for this purpose, but its not clear to me how? I can't seem to create depots with (2) supply wagons or (2) transports - do they need to be full? What else might prevent me from creating a depot? Any more tips about how supply works would be gratefully received! Thanks :)

Pocus

Thu May 08, 2008 6:43 pm

Are you sure your wagons don't resplenish? They should and this would be very strange as it works in our other game, ACW.

To create a depot, you must either have 2 wagons or 2 transports ships, which are nearly full in supply, in a region with some military control.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

oxford_guy
Corporal

Fri May 09, 2008 12:19 am

Pocus wrote:Are you sure your wagons don't resplenish? They should and this would be very strange as it works in our other game, ACW.

Well they don't seem to - I took 6 empty wagon units (counters) back to Stockholm in the Russo-Swedish war scenario and left them there for several turns inside the city in passive mode, but they didn't refil :(

To create a depot, you must either have 2 wagons or 2 transports ships, which are nearly full in supply, in a region with some military control.

Do they have to be together on there own (i.e. not in a force with other units)?

KarlXII
Civilian

Fri May 09, 2008 7:04 am

I am also playing the Finland-Russian War 1808-1809.

I have managed to build a depot in Kronstadt with two supply wagons but they were together in the same force.

Offworlder
General

Fri May 09, 2008 8:05 am

To build a depot all you need are two wagons which may or may not form part of a larger force. Out of habit I pull them out of a larger force (say a corps or army stack) and build the depot. I'm not sure, but if a force leader is inactive the option to build a depot may be grayed out.

What I'm not sure is the value of depots in certain areas. For example in the Spanish Ulcer campaign as the French I tend to build depots in Zaragoza and Leon which are cities in their own rights. Does it make sense or is it a waste of resources? I know that cities can act like depots up to a certain degree but somehow with depots in these, supplies seem to move a little less sluggishly...

Pocus

Sun May 11, 2008 8:14 am

oxford_guy wrote:Well they don't seem to - I took 6 empty wagon units (counters) back to Stockholm in the Russo-Swedish war scenario and left them there for several turns inside the city in passive mode, but they didn't refil :(

Do they have to be together on there own (i.e. not in a force with other units)?

(1) can you please take a screenshot with supply filter on of the area? Kinda strange indeed.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

oxford_guy
Corporal

Mon May 12, 2008 5:33 pm

Pocus wrote:(1) can you please take a screenshot with supply filter on of the area? Kinda strange indeed.

Actually I think I figured out what was going on - I think I was mistaking the supply wagons taking damage (which they always seem to do after traveling with troops after a while, even if no combat - what's that all about?) as using supplies, but when I checked the supply levels of the wagons using the tooltip, I can see this wasn't the case.

One related question, though re: transport ships being used to carry supply - do transport ships *always* carry supply (if originating from a supply source) when not carrying troops?

Pocus

Tue May 13, 2008 9:58 am

yes, this is a separate load indeed. Not quite realistic when I think about it :)

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”