grimjaw
General

Faux 4-star generals, is it there or not?

Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:01 am

I haven't played the other AGE engine games besides AACW and ACW2, but I've heard this complaint about at least one other game in the line. There used to exist a LeaderRank of 4 for a 4-star general. There are at least some pieces of it left in the code for ACW2, because there are references to 4-star generals in the max ranks of Lee and Grant.

So can I use LeaderRank = 4 or will it break things? I know I have to add in some things in the faction files (the names of the ranks and forces).

GenJamesLongstreet
Conscript

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:03 pm

I have been wondering about this for AACW as well:

In the Model "mdl" files one either has "LeaderRank = 1", "LeaderRank = 2" or "LeaderRank = 3" and correspondingly in the Faction "fac" file one can find "LeaderRank1 = Brigadier General", "LeaderRank2 = Major General", "LeaderRank3 = General". Now leaders usually seem to have up to 3 "mdl" files (and 3 corresponding Unit "uni" files) when they are promotable.

Now would it be possible to change this structure and add a new ranking system like the following:

For the CSA in the "fac" file:
"LeaderRank1 = Brigadier General" (one star)
"LeaderRank2 = Major General" (two stars)
"LeaderRank3 = Lieutenant General" (three stars)
"LeaderRank4 = General" (four stars)

For the USA in the "fac" file:
"LeaderRank1 = Brigadier General" (one star)
"LeaderRank2 = Major General" (two stars)
"LeaderRank3 = Major General" (three stars)
"LeaderRank4 = General" (four stars)

and then create one additional model "mdl" file for leaders that start as one star generals and are promotable up to four star generals. Would that work? Or would one have to make additional changes? Or is that impossible due to engine restrictions?

Any insights would be appreciated,

GenJamesLongstreet

PhilThib

Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:13 am

The engine only accepts 3 ranks level (1-3), so level 4 won't work...that's why we 'disguised' the rare 4**** generals into 3-ones with highest hierarchy

GenJamesLongstreet
Conscript

Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:06 am

Thanks for the swift reply and taking the time to explain this issue Mr. Thibaut!

grimjaw
General

Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:55 am

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease consider adding the 4th rank somewhere down the line, please please with sugar on top. Thanks for replying. :D

lukasberger
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:32 am

grimjaw wrote:pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease consider adding the 4th rank somewhere down the line, please please with sugar on top. Thanks for replying. :D

Yes, this would be fantastic!

grimjaw
General

Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:36 am

GenJamesLongstreet, in CW2, I had previously tried to do what you suggest (it does require additional changes). It doesn't crash the game, but it doesn't achieve the desired result, either. Instead I ended up with a 3-star who had fewer CP than the regular 3-stars and still doesn't outrank them.

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”