lightsfantastic
Colonel

Need a how to...

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:13 pm

How does one add leaders to the game?
I figure I'll need to add .uni and .mdl files and graphics. That I can do, but how to get them into the .scn files?
I have OpenOffice but my .Scn files only open in Writer (all 703 pages.)
HELP Please.
Lightsfantastic

Primasprit

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:51 pm

There are two databases for the leaders and units in the game.

[font="Courier New"]Units_BOA42c.xls[/font] Consists mainly unit/leader name, appearence, command cost, model type and alias.

[font="Courier New"]Models_BOA42c.xls[/font] Consists mainly the attributes of the unit/leader.

(You can download these files from the thread about the modding handbook, but I don't know if they are up to date)

You can add your custom leaders in this DB, export it as csv file and then use the CSV splitter program to create the unit and model files.
To add new leaders to a scenario you have to edit the xls-file of the scenario, export it as csv and convert it with the CSV splitter.

If you tell me what exactly you want to do I will give you a step-by-step explanation. :)

Pocus

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:52 pm

It is better to check the modding files and tweak them in their xls file but you can create a new mdl then uni file corresponding to the leader, although you have to give him an identification number which is 1 above the last id number.

Then to add them you have to prepare your scenario taking the XLS file of the scenario and follow the modding instructions.

for example you duplicate the last .uni file, and then add +1 to the ID number (both in the file and in the file name), and you do the same for the Model (mdl) file.

As Primasprit said, this is better to get the habit of working in the base format, which is an XLS file.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:23 pm

Primasprit wrote:There are two databases for the leaders and units in the game.

[font="Courier New"]Units_BOA42c.xls[/font] Consists mainly unit/leader name, appearence, command cost, model type and alias.

[font="Courier New"]Models_BOA42c.xls[/font] Consists mainly the attributes of the unit/leader.

(You can download these files from the thread about the modding handbook, but I don't know if they are up to date)

You can add your custom leaders in this DB, export it as csv file and then use the CSV splitter program to create the unit and model files.
To add new leaders to a scenario you have to edit the xls-file of the scenario, export it as csv and convert it with the CSV splitter.

If you tell me what exactly you want to do I will give you a step-by-step explanation. :)

Where do I find these files? in the .SCN file for the Scenario I want to add them too?

Primasprit

Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:08 pm

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:14 pm

Ok I have those but I want to add these to an Existing Scenario.
Plus these do not have the Minuteman unit for the Alt 1775 game.
Lightsfantastic

Primasprit

Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:10 am

Sorry, but I am not really sure what you want to do.

As I understand you want to modify the 1775 campaign with the alternative setup and add some leader/units.
Do these leader already exist in BoA or do you want to create new ones?
Do you want to add them to the start setup of the campaign or add them by events?

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:47 am

Primasprit wrote:Sorry, but I am not really sure what you want to do.

As I understand you want to modify the 1775 campaign with the alternative setup and add some leader/units.
Do these leader already exist in BoA or do you want to create new ones?
Do you want to add them to the start setup of the campaign or add them by events?

Add them at the beginning and through events throughout the 1775 ALT Scenario.
I'm working up a list right now...but at the start in Boston I'm looking to add:

William Heath, Militia Major General; made original dispensations for the siege lines, considered overcautious so ratings would actually be worse than Ward's

William Prescott, Colonel Militia; decent ratings, was said to be a strong leader

James Reed, Colonel Militia; Nothing extra-ordinary

Richard Gridley, Colonel Militia; Bostonian surveyor and civil engineer, Gridley's Artillery represents him and Knox did superceded him as cheif of Artillery. Flavor unit with Low Activation, useful for defence of fixed points.

Thomas Knowlton, was a major, then colonel before death at Harlem Heights; Washington's first spy chief and probably would have risen far, maybe a later event adds him and a ranger unit after August 1775, but he was present at Breeds Hill and is even in the Painting of the Warren's Death.

Seth Pomeroy, Brigadier Gen of Militia then Major Gen of Militia after June 20; Spent war training Militia units, declined Congressional appointment in the Continentals, flavor unit unless as a Major Gen where he could lead Militia in a defensive out of the way area.

These might mitigate the command problems the Rebels have at the start.
Something I want to test before submitting it to the 'BOA FAMILY' at large.

Primasprit

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:07 am

[...]These might mitigate the command problems the Rebels have at the start. Something I want to test before submitting it to the 'BOA FAMILY' at large.

Great! :)
I am at work right now but I will post an example how to add a leader and include him to a scenario this evening (UTC+1). Hope you can still wait a bit. :cwboy:

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:44 am

Primasprit wrote:Great! :)
I am at work right now but I will post an example how to add a leader and include him to a scenario this evening (UTC+1). Hope you can still wait a bit. :cwboy:

Since I'm about to go home and sleep for 8 to 10 hours...sure I can wait.
:siffle:

Primasprit

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:33 pm

Files you need: http://www.rogepost.com/n/4550886187

To add a leader to the database:

Start with the file [font="Courier New"]Models_BOA43Mod.xls[/font]
Load the file with MS Excel or any other spreadsheet (e.g. Open Office).
The first row contain the description for every column. If you move the mouse pointer over one of the fields a popup should appear with further descriptions (They are saved as notes connected to the fields.)
I added one (not really historically) leader at the very end as an example for a unit which is not in the database.
After you added the entries for your new units/leaders save the file.
Export the sheet as a csv-file ([font="Courier New"]Units.csv[/font]). For Open Office: 'File' -> 'Save As' -> choose CSV as file type -> activate the checkbox 'Edit filter settings' -> 'Save' -> Field delimiter: semicolon, Text delimiter: none.

Open the file [font="Courier New"]Units_BOA43Mod.xls[/font]
Again the fields are described in the first line.
The field: 'Model Type' is your connection to the model file. You link there to the alias you specified in 'Models_BOA43Mod.xls'.
If you are finished save the file and export it as csv-file ([font="Courier New"]Models.csv[/font]).

Now you need to add the strings for 'ldr_txt...' and 'ArmyName...' to the [font="Courier New"]LocalStrings_BOA42.xls[/font] (I did this already.)
After you added the leaders to the database you can use them in a scenario.

Open [font="Courier New"]Setup75_AlternateCampaignMod.xls[/font]
You have 3 sheets in this file. For the start setup you need only the first. The sheet 'Reinforcements' contains the events.

What I changed here:
Line 3: I changed the scenario name so that the original scenario will not be overwritten.
Line 26: I changed the name of the scenario which is displayed in the scenario list if you start a new game in BoA. You have to add an corresponding entry to [font="Courier New"]LocalStrings_BOAMod.xls[/font] (I did this already.).
Line 171: I added the new leader to the army besieging Boston. The leader is part of the group 'Ward Command'. Of course you can also create new groups. The alias (column C) is the link to the new created unit.

In the sheet 'Reinforcements', line 3, I changed the name of the event file according to the new name of the scenario file.

Save the sheet 'Setup at start' as [font="Courier New"]Setup.csv[/font]
Save the sheet 'Reinforcements' as [font="Courier New"]Events.csv[/font]
Save the modified [font="Courier New"]LocalStrings_BOAMod.xls[/font] as [font="Courier New"]LocalStrings_BOA.csv[/font]

Now you can use the CSV-Splitter program to convert the files.

Units:
1. Open the CSV splitter
2. Input CSV file: 'Units.csv'
3. Select first tab 'Convert Data'
4. First field 'Output ext.': select 'uni'
5. Press 'Convert'
--> A lot of new files appeared.
6. Move all (or only the new one) unit files to [font="Courier New"]...\BoA\GameData\Units\[/font]
7. Move the file 'uni_Alias.ini' to [font="Courier New"]...\BoA\Aliases\[/font]

Models:
1. Open the CSV splitter
2. Input CSV file: 'Models.csv'
3. Select first tab 'Convert Data'
4. First field 'Output ext.': select 'mdl'
5. Press 'Convert'
--> A lot of new files appeared.
6. Move all (or only the new one) model files to [font="Courier New"]...\BoA\GameData\Models\[/font]
7. Move the file 'mdl_Alias.ini' to [font="Courier New"]...\BoA\Aliases\[/font]

Scenario:
1. Open the CSV splitter
2. Input CSV file: 'Setup.csv'
3. Select the tab 'Setup, Events'
4. Press 'Make Script'
--> A file 'script.ini' is created.
5. Copy the file to [font="Courier New"]...\BoA\Scripts\[/font]

Events:
1. Open the CSV splitter
2. Input CSV file: 'Events.csv'
3. Select the tab 'Setup, Events'
4. Press 'Make Script'
--> A file '1775 (alt) CampaignMod.sct' is created.
5. Copy the file to [font="Courier New"]...\BoA\Events\

[/font]String file:
Copy the modified 'LocalStrings_BOA.csv' to [font="Courier New"]...\BoA\Settings\[/font]

Copy the new pictures for the leader to
[font="Courier New"]...\BoA\Graphics\Armies&Fleets\
...\BoA\Graphics\Units\[/font]

Start BoA. As the load screen is displayed press 'F9'. In the upper right corner 'Edit Mode ON' appear.
The game menu will open. Do nothing. The game will automatically start the new scenario. If you get an error message something went wrong.
Press the save button to save the scenario. Quit BoA and start it again, this time not in the edit mode.
Choose 'New Game'. The modified scenario should be listed there.

If anything is not clear don't hesitate to ask. I tested it on my system but perhaps I screwed something up. :cwboy:

The siege of Boston. ;)

Chris0827
General

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:57 pm

I can follow you until you say open the cvs splitter. The file I downloaded isn't an executable file. It doesn't do anything.

Primasprit

Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:33 am

I saved a file [font="Courier New"]Files.zip[/font] under this link: http://www.rogepost.com/n/4550886187
The zip-file contains several subfolders. In one the [font="Courier New"]CSVSplitter.exe[/font] is saved. If you start this the program should open.
(You can view the contents of the file with the windows explorer but to start the program you have to extract the file at first)

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:14 am

Thanks.
My 4 year old saw this and told me she wants to play the 'SpongeBob game.' Actually had a fit when I told her it was a joke and not really in the game.

Possibily an untapped market; Kiddie Wargames.

Will give this a shot once I finalize my list. Also looking into some British commanders too.

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:54 pm

Anyone have the Setup Excel file for the 1775 ALT Campaign? Cannot find it anywhere.
Pat
EDIT Found it.

I don't need to see his Identification
These aren't the Droids we're looking for.
You can go about your business...
Move along.

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:10 am

Ok trying to add John Thomas to the Game and to Thomas' Command.
Help

Primasprit

Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:57 am

Hi lightsfantastic,

did you get an error message when processing the script.ini with the game?
If yes, the script log would be helpful.

Dear developers: Is the downloadable BoA DB the most recent one?

I won't have time to take a close look to your scenario today, sorry. (But tomorrow, I hope.)

Cheers,
Norbert

Pocus

Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:11 am

now yes :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:20 pm

Primasprit wrote:Hi lightsfantastic,

did you get an error message when processing the script.ini with the game?
If yes, the script log would be helpful.

Dear developers: Is the downloadable BoA DB the most recent one?

I won't have time to take a close look to your scenario today, sorry. (But tomorrow, I hope.)

Cheers,
Norbert

No error message with the CSV Splitter, just this from the log

:50:52 PM (Reporting) TFrontEnd.Create 27 frontend definitions loaded, from 27 frontend files.
8:50:52 PM (Reporting) TWeather.Create 7 Weathers patterns loaded, out of 7 files.
8:50:52 PM [Error ] TDoubleList.AddEltFromString Invalid string LDR_AME_JTHOMAS|1 376 John Thomas
8:50:52 PM (Reporting) TListUnitDefs.Create 377 UnitDef loaded, out of 377 UnitDef files in 9668 ms
8:50:52 PM (Reporting) TMain, CreateForm OK
8:50:52 PM (Reporting) Application.Run Starting app...
8:50:52 PM (Reporting) Game Engine version: BoA 1.12a
8:50:52 PM (Reporting) TGameSim.OnNewGame_FilePicked Scenario file loaded, # of entries: 37958
8:50:52 PM (Reporting) TGameSim.OnNewGame_FactionPicked C:\Program Files\Birth of America\BoA\Scens\1775 (alt) Campaign.scn : Turn file loaded, # of entries: 35125
8:50:52 PM --- End of Log ---

moustic

Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:30 pm

http://www.vorg.fr site de gestion des bénévoles

moustic

Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:36 pm

lightsfantastic wrote:William Heath,
William Prescott,
James Reed,
Richard Gridley,
Thomas Knowlton,
Seth Pomeroy,

William Heath, http://www.birth-of-america.com/french/Personnages/Heath_W.html
Thomas Knowlton, http://www.birth-of-america.com/french/Personnages/Knowlton_T.html

and
Richard Gridley & Henry Brubeck http://www.answers.com/topic/henry-burbeck
http://www.vorg.fr site de gestion des bénévoles

Pocus

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:59 pm

8:50:52 PM [Error ] TDoubleList.AddEltFromString Invalid string LDR_AME_JTHOMAS|1 376 John Thomas

it means alias not found, ie a numerical value linked to $LDR_AME_JTHOMAS was not found. Did you add the alias in the aliases files?

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:13 pm

Pocus wrote:[/B]it means alias not found, ie a numerical value linked to $LDR_AME_JTHOMAS was not found. Did you add the alias in the aliases files?

uni_Alias

$uni_AME_Sevier = 370
$uni_FRA_Lignery = 371
$uni_FRA_Plantavit = 372
$uni_FRA_Testard = 373
$uni_AME_Paterson = 374
$uni_AME_Min1 = 375
$uni_AME_JThomas = 376

mdl_Alias

$ldr_FRA_Plantavit = 327
$ldr_FRA_Testard = 328
$ldr_AME_Paterson = 329
$ldr_AME_JThomas = 330

AARRGGHH!!
:cuit:

Pocus

Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:31 am

you switched the unit and model alias in the erroneous line

Primasprit

Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:44 pm

So the problem is solved now?

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:19 am

NO because I do not know where the line was switched... In the Scenario? In the MDL? In the UNI?
Just don't know.
Pat

Pocus

Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:16 am

in the uni file

Primasprit

Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:16 am

Hi lightsfantastic!

Sorry, I don't have the game here to try (thought the matter was solved so didn't looked at this yesterday) but have you copied the new alias file to the correct directory (...\BoA\Aliases\)?

Cheers,
Norbert

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:39 am

Primasprit wrote:Hi lightsfantastic!

Sorry, I don't have the game here to try (thought the matter was solved so didn't looked at this yesterday) but have you copied the new alias file to the correct directory (...\BoA\Aliases\)?

Cheers,
Norbert

That was it. I had them in the Unit and Models folder.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
:p ouet:

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:39 am

Next Question.
If I want to promote leaders via event, ie Warren and Putnam to Major General, Do I need the promotable column to say yes?

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”