BigDuke66
General

Newbie questions regarding modding NCP

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:50 am

Hi
I currently try to mod the Austerlitz scenario of NCP and have some things that even the wiki can't really answer, hope some knows what's up.

SetCapital $Paris|2
The value 2 is described as "coefficient" but what is it used for?

SetWinLevel 10
Described as "WinType is 1 (AACW, NCP), the National Morale is the sole measure used to win in these games." but again what does 10 stand for? The win and losses borders for NM are already defined by "SetMoraleLevels 50|200" so what does 10 do?

SetRevoltersInfos $uni_FRA_Mil1|10|35|50
The wiki itself is unsure about some of this "Will use $uni_USA_Par for partisans raised, with 15% chance to raise, 35% chance to disband in ensuing turns, and 50% chance to convert (???)." So the second value is the chance for disbanding the raised units? And what is the third for, out of what do they "convert"?

There are some files listed in the Scenario setup under "Included", I wonder if anyone can tell what they are there for as they are empty:
GameOptions.inc
AICmnGuide.inc
AIGuide_1805 Campaign.inc

Finally I wonder why the Setup sheet is save by the CSV splitter as Script.ini and not like the other as Script05.ini for example. I see a Script05.ini in the script folder that seems to be for the Austerlitz scenario and now I wonder if I should replace it with this script.ini.

Now a save problem with the LocalStrings_NCP.csv.
I saved it as csv(just like the files for the scenario and they work OK) but wondered about the file size as it is almost 3 times as big as the original. I looked into it and saw that there are much more ; than in the original file.
For example in the original it looks like this:
;RED: Strings that should be translated or rephrased;;check or translate;;;
My file looks like this:
;RED: Strings that should be translated or rephrased;;check or translate;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Will that make problems?
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

Franciscus

Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:33 am

Hi, BigDuke

Regarding the last question, I refer you to this post: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?5358-Official-Files-for-modding&p=42555&viewfull=1#post42555.

Inside the AGEOD Utilities and docs
(http://ageoddl.telechargement.fr/latest/AGE_Modding.zip) you will find a pdf called scencreation01 that is very useful.

Basically, when we create a csv file, 2 rules must be followed: The Field Delimiter must be a semicolon, and no text delimiter is used. I know that some guys use excel, I tried but couldn't configure it properly (I have office 2010), so, I use openoffice.

Regards

BigDuke66
General

Tue May 01, 2012 5:20 am

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Another question.
Would it make problems using German "Umlaute" like Ä Ö Ü etc. for flavor names in the scenario setup sheet?

lodilefty

Tue May 01, 2012 11:59 am

BigDuke66 wrote:Thanks, I'll check it out.

Another question.
Would it make problems using German "Umlaute" like Ä Ö Ü etc. for flavor names in the scenario setup sheet?

These 'non-international' Unicode characters cause bugs quite often.
We just removed many of them in RUS [caused CTD in foreign languages], so I'd rather avoid them until we better understand if there are any 'safe places' to use them...
...beware that the Unit Names in setups and events may be referenced later in an event, and must match exactly.
....AFAIK, you can change text in the LocalStrings_xxx.csv file, except for the first column...

Of course, in your own personal mod, you can go ahead. Just be clear that we can't debug/fix errors created by modding!
[but we will help you understand how to fix them!]
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

BigDuke66
General

Tue May 01, 2012 4:39 pm

Well the LocalStrings_xxx.csv file doesn't seem to use flavor names, I think those names are used in [ ] after the flavor name in the tooltip for the elements but I just wanted a correct some flavor names.
So for now I won't use the "Umlaute", isn't worth the trouble when it can crash the game.

Now something more complicated, I can set the number of sub units for a unit by setting a lower number as defined in the units db at Param0 but is there a way to keep it that low for the duration of the scenario?
For example "Brigade Dumoulin" a "uni_FRA_LineBde4"(2 regiments of 3 battalions each) starts with a single regiment, can I somehow keep it that way?

BTW any one here that could translate some French notes from the scenario DB?
Seems like who ever worked on this noted some interesting things but only in French, I would like to know what's written there.

Franciscus

Tue May 01, 2012 7:10 pm

I understand both French and English, I might be able to help, if you want.

lodilefty

Tue May 01, 2012 7:56 pm

AFAIK, there is no way to keep a Unit ath a 'less than full complement" in the game, unless no replacements are ever available for the 'missing'

This is partly why there are so many units using same model: 1 regiment unit, 2 regiment unit, etc...
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

BigDuke66
General

Wed May 02, 2012 5:51 pm

Franciscus wrote:I understand both French and English, I might be able to help, if you want.

Thanks, here we go(ignore the numbers in front it's just the row in the database):

206: Spire = Speyer, un petit patelin sur le Rhin - région Landau dans le jeu
255 & 297: Lauterburg est en Allemagne ET en Alsace, c'est lequel ? J'ai mis la région du jeu (Allemagne) qu'on renomera éventuellement
477: C'est où ce patelin ?? J'ai mis Stuttgart par défaut
493: Il faut saisir plusieurs convois de ravitaillement qui serviront à la logisitique de l'armée, sur les principaux dépôts
497: Il faut saisir quelques garnisons françaises pour les villes principales (qui auront les dépots) - rajouter l'artillerie de forteresse
498: exemple d'artillerie de forteresse - à modéliser dans Units (modèle = 8 pièces… on en met 3 ou 4 / unité ?)
586: Wertingen est dans la région Ravensburg - on pourra la renommer ?
641, 655, 723, 728, 736, 739, 742: artillerie fixe de la place - cf commentaires sur Strasbourg plus haut
657: Le 9 et 40eme Regiment furent capturés au complet
671: Vicenza est dans la même région que Trevisa, d'où le nom
720 & 725: Garnison renommée en fonction de la ville sur la carte
757: Le Brenner, c'est la région Brixen, assez pourrie et pauvre - voir si on y fait un dépôt
830: Braunau = Brunn dans la map, je corrigerai ensuite

Franciscus

Wed May 02, 2012 8:16 pm

BigDuke66 wrote:Thanks, here we go(ignore the numbers in front it's just the row in the database):

206: Spire = Speyer, un petit patelin sur le Rhin - région Landau dans le jeu
255 & 297: Lauterburg est en Allemagne ET en Alsace, c'est lequel ? J'ai mis la région du jeu (Allemagne) qu'on renomera éventuellement
477: C'est où ce patelin ?? J'ai mis Stuttgart par défaut
493: Il faut saisir plusieurs convois de ravitaillement qui serviront à la logisitique de l'armée, sur les principaux dépôts
497: Il faut saisir quelques garnisons françaises pour les villes principales (qui auront les dépots) - rajouter l'artillerie de forteresse
498: exemple d'artillerie de forteresse - à modéliser dans Units (modèle = 8 pièces… on en met 3 ou 4 / unité ?)
586: Wertingen est dans la région Ravensburg - on pourra la renommer ?
641, 655, 723, 728, 736, 739, 742: artillerie fixe de la place - cf commentaires sur Strasbourg plus haut
657: Le 9 et 40eme Regiment furent capturés au complet
671: Vicenza est dans la même région que Trevisa, d'où le nom
720 & 725: Garnison renommée en fonction de la ville sur la carte
757: Le Brenner, c'est la région Brixen, assez pourrie et pauvre - voir si on y fait un dépôt
830: Braunau = Brunn dans la map, je corrigerai ensuite

Most are probably notes and questions made by the devs during game development, prior to decisions or corrections. IMHO, nor (very) relevant now, but here you go (at least according to my interpretion, some details might not be 100% correct):

1. Spire = Speyer, a little hometown on the Rhine - region Landau in game
2. Lauterburg is in Germany and Alsace, which is correct ? For now I chose the game region (Allemagne), to be corrected eventually
3. Where is this hometown ? I have chosen Stuttgart, by default
4. We must get several supply trains (wagons) on the main depots
5. We must get some french garrisons for the main cities (that will have depots) - and add fortress arty
6. Examle of fortress arty - to be modelled in Units (model - 8 guns; or 3-4 by unit ?)
7. Wertingen is on the region Ravensburg - could we rename it ?
8. Fixed arty - see Strasburg comentaries above
9. The 9th and 40th regiments were totally captured
10. Vicenza is on the same region as Trevisa, that's where the name comes from
11. Garrison renamed in relation to the city on the map
12. Le Brenner is the region Brixen, a very poor one - let's decide if we put there a depot there or not
13. Braunau = Brunn in the map, I will correct it.

BigDuke66
General

Fri May 04, 2012 3:33 am

Thanks Franciscus for the translation.
Found 2 more in the event sheet I hope you can do them too:

145: si le français amène 15 unités à Ulm et coupe les retraites vers l'est, l'autrichien se rend
154: tous les autrichiens du Wurtemberg et de Schwaben sont éliminés

Franciscus

Fri May 04, 2012 7:16 am

BigDuke66 wrote:Thanks Franciscus for the translation.
Found 2 more in the event sheet I hope you can do them too:

145: si le français amène 15 unités à Ulm et coupe les retraites vers l'est, l'autrichien se rend
154: tous les autrichiens du Wurtemberg et de Schwaben sont éliminés

- if the French bring 15 units to Ulm and cut their retreat to the east, the austrians surrender
- all austrain forces in Wurtemberg and Schwabben are eliminated

Regards

BigDuke66
General

Mon May 28, 2012 5:11 am

Thanks Franciscus for the translations.

Question to all, I'm looking for a way to count the losses(best for a specific type like line infantry, cavalry, etc.) does anyone know what script I could use?

BigDuke66
General

Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:49 pm

Quoting the manual:
"Replacement chits that are used to replace lost strength points are removed from the Replacement Pool when the last
of their strength points is consumed. Players do not have a means of knowing how many strength points are
remaining in individual replacement chits. This is handled internally by the game engine. Replacement chits used to
provide entire battalion-sized elements are removed from the Replacement Pool immediately."

So how much strength points does a replacement chit have?
And how is the impact on the experience of an element receiving replacements? Is there a way to set the level of experience these replacements provide?

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”