TheDoctorKing

Can any mods affect an ongoing game?

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:35 pm

Is there any way to make a modification in the game files that will affect a game that has already started? Or do we have to go back to the beginning and start over with the new mods?

I'm in a PBEM game with Andatiep and our house rules have resulted in ahistorically small armies, especially the Union army. Or at least so it appears. We would like to create an event to increase the number of companies that come when you call for volunteers, and then create an event that adds several hundred conscripts to the Union pool (or maybe to both pools with a larger helping for the Yankees) to make up for what was missed.

Is this possible?
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gray_Lensman

Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:38 am

deleted

TheDoctorKing

Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:58 am

Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping for. I'll give it a try.
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lodilefty

Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:25 pm

AFAIK, Event files are "dynamic": the file is read every turn, so you can make changes "on the fly"..... Beware though, that the "status" is kept locked away in the saves (status: # times the event has fired)

All Settings (files in that directory), Models, Units, Setups, Aliases etc. are only read when the game is loaded.

Most of the stuff in the Includes directory is only read when compiling a new scenario (or re-compiling and old one ;) )
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Pocus

Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:52 am

As the vets says :)
Events file are truly read on-the-fly... You can, for these, edit an event file without even quitting the game (alt-tabbing suffices) and the new or modified event would work in the next hosting phase!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”