TiFlo
Captain

How to add more unit graphics?

Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:21 pm

I am trying to add new unit graphics into WIA, in order to have more historically accurate uniforms as well as more variety (to be released if it works of course).

Right now, I have made the necessary graphics for most of the different French regiments serving during the FIW. But I am having difficulties figuring what to change or add so that they properly show up in game, with their matching name.

I have also downloaded the database and looked around a bit, but I'm pretty much at a loss as to where to start :(

I would greatly appreciate any help on this :coeurs:

PhilThib

Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:50 pm

It's rather complex if you wish to go down to that level of details...

The picture used for a unit is indicated in the DB in the Models.xls file. It's called portrait. You add there the image, in png format, of the uniform you wish....

... but to take the French for instance, there is only ONE model of French Regulars for the 7YW...meaning they all share the same pic... if you want one pic per regiment, then, the mamoth tasks awaiting you is:

* create as many models as you have different regiments pictures
* update the dB
* then update every concerned scenario and event file...

For an expert, I would say 2 weeks of work... :bonk: :cool:

TiFlo
Captain

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:09 pm

Okayyyyyyyyyy.... thank you Pocus :p leure:

Actually, as of now I "only" really need to add 4 models. Given the LOD of the units, I can manage something with the original blue cuffed unit, and the recoloured red, green and white cuffed I did.

So, technically, what I need to do is (in WIA_DB_Models11.xml):
- duplicate the entry for Model_Name_FRA_Inf2 into as many new entries as I need (that is 3 more) in the Names_ShortNames sheet
- do the same process in Sheet3 and Sheet4
- what about Sheet2, I'm not sure to see what's in there?

Question: I only see one of the three .png files (those present into WIA/Graphics) in WIA_DB_Models11.xml. What about the two others, don't they need to be linked to somewhere?

Then, I guess I'll need to export that. How do I do that?

All this only need work from the database spreadsheets, right (along with the putting of graphics files into WIA/Graphics... of course)?

I realize this is a lot of questions, but I'm ready to do the work, as long as I understand the process. Thanks again for any help :bonk: :D

PhilThib

Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:53 pm

You get the DB, the files are XLS, not xml... i.e. Excel sheets...

Step 1
The only thumbnail/sheet you need to alter is the first one (forget the other ones for the moment). Duplicate the entry (row 153+) for as many as you need...In column O, you need to enter for each new row the image name (one for each)...

Then you enter the name of the models pic (nb: forget the other two but supply them, the engine finds them automatically from the models one)

Once done, send the file to Hok, the guy in charge of WIA, and/or to Lodilefty, WIA coordinator. He will do the export.

Step 2
You need to alter the units XLS DB, to duplicate new units which will hold the new models IDs. Check row 244 there and duplicate, entering the new models ID in column M as required. Send the file, take note of the new units names.

Note: when you duplicate models or units, their UID and names alias must be different.

Step 3
Take EACH setup xls file for every scenario you want to have your new units, then replace the units alias by the one of the newly created, when relevant and applicable. Do not forget to check both thumbnails/sheet; i.e. at start forces and events. Send the files

IMPORTANT: when you do a change in those excel files, then save the files under different names + every change you make must be identified by a different font and/or cell background colour. In this way, everyone can track the changes you made and fix the more than likely errors that will come into them (I still do dozens of errors even if this is now my 5th game with AGE engine ;) )

Good luck :bonk:

PS: I am not Pocus :mdr:

Pocus

Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:55 pm

Philippe Thibaut is not Pocus and Pocus is not Philippe Thibaut :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

TiFlo
Captain

Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:41 pm

Aye, sorry Philippe and Philippe, I got you guys mixed up :D

And thank you PhilTib, I'll try to work it out when I have a couple of hours free.

PhilThib

Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:11 pm

You welcome...and will need a lot of a couple of hours :mdr:

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”