bschulte
Lieutenant

New Mod Hosting Fan Site for AACW Mods!

Sat May 24, 2008 2:15 am

All,

I'm happy to announce that I have created a brand new mod hosting site for AACW, called (appropriately enough) AGEod's American Civil War Mods, or AACWM for short. I have asked the permission of some mod creators via PM to host some of the mods. If mod creators are reading this thread, feel free to reply to me here as an alternative. runyan99 gave me the go-ahead (thanks!) to host his Leader Mod for 1.10 and it is now present on the site. I hope to continue following the modding threads and add any new mods or update existing ones as the mod creators do so. If mod creators could notify me when they update that would be great as well! Let me know what you think and you should hopefully see more mods popping up as creators give me permission to host.

I also host The Harpers Ferry Arsenal, which is a mod site for Mad Minute Games' Take Command Series of games. All of my Civil War Modding sites are incorporated into my Civil War blog, TOCWOC. You can visit TOCWOC by clicking on the link in my signature.

Pocus

Sat May 24, 2008 7:47 am

Great Brett, I wish that the site will be well alive with modders seeing it as an opportunity to have their work better known. And AACW too ;)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

PhilThib

Sat May 24, 2008 7:48 am

Very nice blog... and excellent initiative! Thank you Brett :coeurs:

arsan

Sat May 24, 2008 9:57 am

Thanks! Very nice!!! :hat:
Sometimes is difficult to be aware of the latest active mods and find the current mod files in the mod forum if you are not a regular visitor. This will help a lot
I had used Brett page before for downloading TC2M things and works very well :coeurs:

Regards

Chamberlain
Captain

Sat May 24, 2008 12:35 pm

arsan wrote:Thanks! Very nice!!! :hat:
Sometimes is difficult to be aware of the latest active mods and find the current mod files in the mod forum if you are not a regular visitor. This will help a lot
I had used Brett page before for downloading TC2M things and works very well :coeurs:

Regards

Absolutely Arsan,

I have been using Brett's site for downloading TC2M & CWBR files for the last 2 -3 years as his web site is awesome and very user friendly !!!

Check it out guys :)

Chamberlain

Big Muddy

Sat May 24, 2008 1:18 pm

Great to see your back, with a new site to boot, excellent.

bschulte
Lieutenant

Sat May 24, 2008 5:07 pm

Thanks for the support guys! I had wanted to do this right when AACW came out, but real life got in the way. Right now I have sites for HPS, MMG, and AGEod. Ideally I will create sites for all of the (good!) Civil War computer games which have come out in the past 5-10 years. That way people who play them all can have one spot to go to make things very easy on themselves. I really like the way this works as far as incorporating the sites into my blog too. I can add a new mod and on the same day a blog entry highlighting the mod can appear on my blog and point people to it, maybe some people who have never played wargames before.

bschulte
Lieutenant

Wed May 28, 2008 8:15 pm

Guys,

I'll have Runyan's mod update uploaded as soon as I get home from work tonight. I'll probably use this thread going forward whenever changes are made or new mods are added to the site.

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 28, 2008 8:49 pm

At your mod site, you write

I hope to make this site a quick and easy place to go to find everything you need in the way of patches, graphics mods, gameplay mods, and any other files which change the default game in any way.

Do you have plans to investigate some of the generic (all games, not just AACW) mod utilities out there, to work with the AACW mod designers to apply those mod assistant programs to the AACW mods?

It would be a tremendous help if you could repackage some of the more complex AACW mods, to make "quick and easy" the installation (and backup and roll-back), not just the finding, of those mods.
What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!
Early MusiChicago - Early Music in Chicago and Beyond - http://earlymusichicago.org
PIKT - Global-View, Site-at-a-Time System and Network Administration - http://pikt.org
AGElint - an AGE debugging toolkit - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333
Your Mileage May Vary -- Always!

bschulte
Lieutenant

Wed May 28, 2008 9:19 pm

berto wrote:At your mod site, you write

Do you have plans to investigate some of the generic (all games, not just AACW) mod utilities out there, to work with the AACW mod designers to apply those mod assistant programs to the AACW mods?

It would be a tremendous help if you could repackage some of the more complex AACW mods, to make "quick and easy" the installation (and backup and roll-back), not just the finding, of those mods.

Berto,

Good question! Unfortunately, my answer probably isn't going to be what you want to hear. :( I am afraid the time I have available isn't enough to do something like that. It will be up to each individual modder to choose how they want to package their mod. I have done it this way on the Mad Minute Games site for several years and it tends to cause less confusion that way. If others want to repackage the mods (and of course if the modders are okay with it), I will not hesitate to host the files produced by those efforts.

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 28, 2008 9:28 pm

I don't have time for this either.

Wouldn't it be great if someone like Gray_Lensman were to step forward and take on this mod repackaging role for the entire AACW community?

(Gray, I am not "volunteering" you to do this. Your hands are quite full with the RR mod and other stuff. I'm just thinking of another person like yourself.)

Early MusiChicago - Early Music in Chicago and Beyond - http://earlymusichicago.org

PIKT - Global-View, Site-at-a-Time System and Network Administration - http://pikt.org

AGElint - an AGE debugging toolkit - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333

GShock

Wed May 28, 2008 10:23 pm

berto wrote:It would be a tremendous help if you could repackage some of the more complex AACW mods, to make "quick and easy" the installation (and backup and roll-back), not just the finding, of those mods.

For one who's not a coder, it's not as easy and quick to make an installer. The generated script with programs is arab and you don't get much of a clue on what went wrong.

I loved it when Pocus came out suggesting the utility to build the installer. "It takes no longer than 15 minutes" ...i had to buy a new mouse when those "15 minutes" passed here!!! :niark:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 28, 2008 10:51 pm

I'm a Linux guy, and with a Linux-like environment, I could easily script custom installers for each mod, I'm sure of it. But it's been years and years since I've done any DOS/Windows batch file scripting. And when, within Windows Explorer, I click to delete a single file, then I sit there for a full minute watching the dialog box and progress bar (for just a single file deletion!), I think, "Whoa, WTF, what's going on under the hood here?!" So, I don't think I could trust myself to do this sort of thing in Windows (much less Vista), no way.

bschulte
Lieutenant

Wed May 28, 2008 11:10 pm

May 28, 2008
Updated runyan99's Leader Mod for 1.10 to work with the 1.10b patch

bigus
General

Thu May 29, 2008 12:39 am

bschulte

How about hosting a ACW scenario section? I talked to Rafiki about this and he directed me to this thread. I think it would be a valuable service for finding and downloading user made scenarios.

Bigus

bschulte
Lieutenant

Thu May 29, 2008 5:42 am

bigus wrote:bschulte

How about hosting a ACW scenario section? I talked to Rafiki about this and he directed me to this thread. I think it would be a valuable service for finding and downloading user made scenarios.

Bigus

Bigus,

I couldn't agree more. I've done that with the Take Command games at MMG as well and that section is actually the most visited at the Harpers Ferry Arsenal. I've been a bit busy this week, but my plan is to go through the AACW forums slowly and find all the different mods, add-ons, scenarios, you name it and add those. If you or anyone else could point me to some of the user made scenario threads in the meantime I would appreciate it. I've found some time to play AACW in the past year, but I've never been a faithful forum follower until the last few weeks. In any case, I'll have some time on Thursday and Friday nights to start adding some more things to my fan site.

Jabberwock

Thu May 29, 2008 6:03 am

I have no problem with my work being repackaged. I encourage anyone who wants to do this.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

bigus
General

Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:06 am

bschulte wrote:Bigus,

I couldn't agree more. I've done that with the Take Command games at MMG as well and that section is actually the most visited at the Harpers Ferry Arsenal. I've been a bit busy this week, but my plan is to go through the AACW forums slowly and find all the different mods, add-ons, scenarios, you name it and add those. If you or anyone else could point me to some of the user made scenario threads in the meantime I would appreciate it. I've found some time to play AACW in the past year, but I've never been a faithful forum follower until the last few weeks. In any case, I'll have some time on Thursday and Friday nights to start adding some more things to my fan site.

I'm not sure if there has been any other scenarios posted :grr: .....
hopefully there will be more coming in the future from others.
Thanks again for hosting the scenario section.

bigus

Clovis

Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:47 pm

I've posted on this forum a new version of my mod
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

bschulte
Lieutenant

Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:08 am

Clovis wrote:I've posted on this forum a new version of my mod

Thanks Clovis! I just got it uploaded.

bschulte
Lieutenant

Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:49 pm

Guys,

I forgot to mention that I updated the patch on my site yesterday. I'm going to try to be good about posting here whenever an update happens. So a bold topic title with a last post from me should indicate an updated mod site.

bschulte
Lieutenant

Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:05 am

bschulte
Lieutenant

Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:37 pm

All,

I will be in Los Angeles on a business trip from June 18-22. If you try to contact me during this time I will be unavailable. I will be going through all accumulated items in my inboxes on June 23 and will get to you then.

arsan

Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:44 pm

Have a good trip! :hat:

bschulte
Lieutenant

Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:56 am

arsan wrote:Have a good trip! :hat:

Thanks! It IS a business trip, but my boss told me there is a VERY good chance we'll be able to see a Dodgers' game on Friday night.

bschulte
Lieutenant

Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:53 pm

Clovis

Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:59 am

Brett,

another update of my mod.... :niark:

Regards
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

bschulte
Lieutenant

Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:40 pm

Clovis wrote:Brett,

another update of my mod.... :niark:

Regards

LOL. I'm struggling to keep up! :D I'll have it updated in a few minutes. Thanks for the notice!

Jabberwock

Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:17 am

Updated mine to 1.10d, one single download.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

bschulte
Lieutenant

Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:50 pm

Jabberwock wrote:Updated mine to 1.10d, one single download.

Jabberwock,

I'm on it. I've got the single download version up and available! :)

Return to “AACW Mods”