Jabberwock

Generals Graphics Mod

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:30 am

New easy-install procedure. Unzip to the ACW folder. That's it.

61 contains:

USA
Alexander Asboth
Christopher Auger
Louis Blenker
Charles Griffin
Charles Hamilton
Albion Howe
Andrew Humphreys
David Hunter
Stephen Hurlburt
Erasmus Keyes
George McCall
Thomas Meagher
Dixon Miles
Robert Milroy
George Morell
William Nelson
James Palmer (Admiral)
George Pearson
Theodore Runyon
Carl Schurz
James Shields
Edwin Sumner
Daniel Tyler
Lew Wallace
Thomas Wood

CSA
Barnard Bee
Milledge Bonham
John Floyd
Bushrod Johnson
David Jones
Benjamin McCulloch
Daniel Ruggles
Gustavus Smith
William Taliaferro
William Whiting
Charles Winder
Felix Zollicoffer

Recently updated Robert Milroy.
Attachments
61.zip
(567.82 KiB) Downloaded 1137 times
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Jabberwock

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:31 am

62 contains:

CSA
Edward Alexander (updated)
James Cantey
Raleigh Colston
George Doles
John Forney
John G. Walker
James Major
Jean Jacques Mouton
John McCown
Jones Withers
William H. F. Lee

USA
Hiram Berry
Daniel Butterfield
John Caldwell
John Davidson
Charles Devens
John Dix
William French
John Geary
David Gregg
Alexander Hays
Richard Johnson
Phillip Kearny
Rufus King
Gillman Marston
John McArthur
James Negley
John Palmer
John Parke
Calvin Pratt
Benjamin Prentiss
Joseph Reynolds
Israel Richardson
James Ricketts
A.J. Smith
William F. Smith
Isaac Stevens
Abel Streight
Horatio Van Cleve
James Veatch
Adolph von Steinwehr
Amiel Whipple
Alpheus Williams
August Willich

I'll leave up jf1.zip for now, that has just the new pictures by jackfox, with the old installation procedure.

Only 6 more to go on '62!
Attachments
62.zip
(879.39 KiB) Downloaded 742 times
jf1.zip
(499.32 KiB) Downloaded 630 times

Jabberwock

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:31 am

63 contains:

CSA
Carter Stevenson
Cadmus Wilcox

USA
David Birney
Frank Blair
Grenville Dodge
Francis Herron
Henry Hunt
Peter Osterhaus
Robert Schenk
James Wadsworth
John Wilder (new by Jackfox)
Horatio Wright
Attachments
63.zip
(235.26 KiB) Downloaded 739 times

Jabberwock

1.10d

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:32 am

Contain all previous work by both myself and jackfox, compatible with 1.10d, in one large zip file. (1.8Mb)

Thank you everyone who helped test this one, particularly jbhood, serpent77, jack54, & gray_lensman.

EDIT 7/30: added model file fixes for Alexander, Rodes, Schofield, and Pickett - the last three aren't strictly part of the mod, but Rodes and Schofield clean up some generated errors. Pickett is a display name fix. Alexander was MIA, and might not make it into the next official patch. He should be in the one after that.
Attachments
110d.zip
(1.81 MiB) Downloaded 749 times

PBBoeye
General

Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:28 pm

Reserved for:

Sweet!

Could you give me a brief description of how you go about this? It's an interesting graphics project.

gbs
Colonel

Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:39 pm

Which file are they installed to and will they be compatible with future versions? I am currently playing 1.06d.

PBBoeye
General

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:35 pm

All three folders go into the GRAPHICS folder. Most of these I do not have - some I already do. These files are for 'General' portrait shots that did not ship with the game. Jabberwock has an ongoing project of fleshing it out.

Eugene Carr
Colonel

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:25 pm

S! Excellent, general's pictures really add to the immersion factor. :cwboy:

Jabberwock

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:43 pm

Armies&Fleets & Units Folders go into Graphics, When it asks if you want to overwite say yes for the SBuckner pic, yes if you want the new GSykes pics.

Models goes into the GameData folder. Overwrite? Yes to All.

Jabberwock

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:45 pm

gbs wrote:Which file are they installed to and will they be compatible with future versions? I am currently playing 1.06d.

The pictures themselves will be compatible. The model files will be compatible as long as the unit numbers are not changed in future versions.

Jabberwock

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:22 am

PBBoeye wrote:Reserved for:

Sweet!

Could you give me a brief description of how you go about this? It's an interesting graphics project.

I usually work from black & white photos, but the DRJones pic was done from a drawing. I've mainly been using Fireworks as my graphics tool.

I crop the image to get just the part I want to work on, then expand the size of what is left to about 250x300 pixels. I carefully erase the background, and create at least a couple of duplicate layers. Then I start layering in colors with different size brushes at different levels of transparency, depending on how much detail I need in a particular area. I use Sandra and Robin's pics as pallettes to get colors from. Occasionally I will copy a uniform from a previous pic and resize to fit if I'm unhappy with what I have to work from. (My avatar is wearing an ASJohnston hand-me-down).

I use an army size mask in a high contrast color (I use red, looks like Sandra used black for her's), with cut off lower corners and the correct positioning on a 96x110 transparent image. Copy the drawing onto the masked canvas, scale so that it mostly fits inside the mask, and delete any overlap, then delete the mask and export the pic as a png. The mask is saved in a separate file so I can use it over and over.

Then go back and retouch the pic with a 1-3px brush, there are usually some shiny areas from the resizing/scaling process, and the eyes will look photographic unless they are redrawn. All done.

The process for units is similar, but in addition to a mask I've got a saved beige/pink background and white border (on separate layers so that I can slide the drawing between them). The canvas size is 85x85.

I recently found my old copy of Photoshop 6 which has some nice filters (much better than CS). I experimented with changing filters on partially colorized layers on the new McCulloch pic and the Asboth pic. I was pretty happy with the result, I plan to do more like that.

Jabberwock

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:27 am

PBBoeye wrote:Most of these I do not have - some I already do

They have all been reworked.

Pocus

Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:42 am

This is very good (sorry I missed the query initially). Continue like that.

And yes, this is an official request (with some bucks for Jabberwock). When he is done, the official version will have his portraits in it.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

gbs
Colonel

Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:28 pm

Jabberwock, these really add to the experience of playing the game. Thanks and I have to ask when will we get more? How are the 62 Generals coming along?

Pocus

Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:47 pm

Before I wrap the 1.07 patch, perhaps I can get a maximum of them included.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

gbs
Colonel

Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:33 pm

Fantastic!

Jabberwock

Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:52 pm

I will try to get the 62s posted this weekend along with some 'cleaned up' 61s.

Pocus

Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:54 am

good, send them to my email also then (61+62). This will make a good patch.

mike1962
Sergeant

Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:33 pm

Yes indeed it will, thanks Jabberwock!

Chamberlain
Captain

Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:52 pm

Great news

Woohoo !!

Chamberlain

Jabberwock

Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:01 am

I was not able to get the 62s done in time for the patch. I did "finish" the 61s, except for GMcCall. There are a few older ones that have been updated since my last upload, so I included all the files in the new set. Some of these I am happier with than others. Some may not make it into the official patch. I will continue to work on them.

Pocus

Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:03 am

Thank you Jabberwock, I think it is time to assemble 1.07 officially now!

PBBoeye
General

Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:59 pm

I just looked at the general graphics in the newly official v1.07 release.

They are incredible! It's hard to overstate how much a part they play in the whole visual appeal of the game.

Truly well done, JB!! :coeurs:

dutch81
Private

Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:01 pm

PBBoeye wrote:I just looked at the general graphics in the newly official v1.07 release.

They are incredible! It's hard to overstate how much a part they play in the whole visual appeal of the game.

Truly well done, JB!! :coeurs:

Just bought the game and downloaded the 1.07 patch right away ... and I must admit that I was surprised that so many generals are just blank ... not even a generic general anymore which I think would have been better. Is there something wrong with my patch ... I am missing something here right?

The game says I am playing version 1.07.

Jabberwock

Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:40 pm

Are the ones that are missing in the 61 list at the top of the thread? I used the model files from 1.07, as I wasn't sure if some UIDs might have changed between versions.

Jabberwock

Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:21 am

dutch81 wrote:Just bought the game and downloaded the 1.07 patch right away ... and I must admit that I was surprised that so many generals are just blank ... not even a generic general anymore which I think would have been better. Is there something wrong with my patch ... I am missing something here right?

The game says I am playing version 1.07.

My apologies for the issue. There is a temporary fix for the issues with Charles Winder and Felix Zollicoffer here. I have sent this to Pocus as well, so that he can create a new installer. Please let me know of any other issues you experience with the generals graphics.

dutch81
Private

Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:51 am

Thanks it did bring the generals back thank you ... now that you mention it there is one more graphical problem. With each battle it no longer tells me who won ... I can only tell by who holds the territory and how many casualties we take although maybe that won't always tell the whole story.

Jabberwock

Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:27 am

dutch81 wrote:Thanks it did bring the generals back thank you ... now that you mention it there is one more graphical problem. With each battle it no longer tells me who won ... I can only tell by who holds the territory and how many casualties we take although maybe that won't always tell the whole story.

Err, someone from Ageod will have to answer that. I don't do delphi programming; I just draw pictures, edit text files, and argue about strategy, weather, harbors, historical trivia, railroads, and shore bombardment.

Pocus

Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:06 am

dutch81 wrote:Thanks it did bring the generals back thank you ... now that you mention it there is one more graphical problem. With each battle it no longer tells me who won ... I can only tell by who holds the territory and how many casualties we take although maybe that won't always tell the whole story.

Seems one of your font (edmunds.ttf) was unregistered by windows. There is a thread on that in the technical forum I think.

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:41 pm

Jabberwock wrote:My apologies for the issue. There is a temporary fix for the issues with Charles Winder and Felix Zollicoffer here. I have sent this to Pocus as well, so that he can create a new installer. Please let me know of any other issues you experience with the generals graphics.

Where do we unzip them? Units, Portraits, both?-----------------nevermind, got it.

Return to “AACW Mods”