McNaughton

Equipment Query

Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:29 pm

I am working on tweaking things for my mod, and am wondering about Confederate Cavalry.

For the Union, I am aware that there was a large shift over to Breech-loaded Carbines as a primary weapon of Cavalry during the war, but am unsure about the Confederate Cavalry Arm.

I have read that they used whatever weapons they could get their hands on, as well as that many perferred to use dual pistols.

Is there a consensus (at least based even on theatre of war as to what was used in the East, West, and Far West) as to the typical armament of a Confederate Cavalryman?

Thanks in advance!

PBBoeye
General

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:12 am

Sawed off shotgun many times.

Jabberwock

Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:36 am

Especially in the west. Mosby's rangers should get navy revolvers.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Jabberwock

Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:39 am

PBBoeye wrote:Sawed off shotgun many times.

Especially in the west. Mosby's rangers pretty much had their choice of captured equipment, and greatly favored Colt revolvers.

McNaughton

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:50 pm

Thanks, I kind of suspected the average ToE, but wasn't quite sure.

PBBoeye
General

Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:58 pm

What would be a good idea, IMO, is to make a mid-war weapon mix for the reb cavalry that reflects the incorporation of breech-loaders and various upgrades. Not that they had them in great quantity, but their firepower as a unit should increase a little bit from early war shotgun-as-the-main firepower values.

Just a thought. Not sure if that is PITA stuff or not.

McNaughton

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:00 pm

PBBoeye wrote:What would be a good idea, IMO, is to make a mid-war weapon mix for the reb cavalry that reflects the incorporation of breech-loaders and various upgrades. Not that they had them in great quantity, but their firepower as a unit should increase a little bit from early war shotgun-as-the-main firepower values.

Just a thought. Not sure if that is PITA stuff or not.

I was thinking for Conscripts to have shotguns/pistols (poor ranged combat, deadly assault), early volunteers to have Musketoons (Short Enfields), late volunteers to start using breech loaders.

Jabberwock

Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:51 pm

McNaughton wrote:I was thinking for Conscripts to have shotguns/pistols (poor ranged combat, deadly assault), early volunteers to have Musketoons (Short Enfields), late volunteers to start using breech loaders.

I think I read somewhere that Forrest's troops preferred the Enfields even over captured Springfield repeaters.

Return to “AACW Mods”