andatiep

An AACW2 wishlist mini-MODs workshop

Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:10 pm

I open this thread so that the volunteers who want to participate to an AACW2 wishlist mini-MODs can debate here about what to write there : http://www.ageod.net/aacwwiki/AACW2_Wishlist_Mini-MODs
REVOLUTION UNDER SIEGE GOLD

Carrington
Captain

Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:10 am

Very interesting mods... I like them a lot -- they do much to emphasize the Clausewitzian and political character of the war, as well as the essential question of slavery.

andatiep

Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:44 am

Thank you... :)

The last part of the page is almost draft notes (i saw i even let parts of French sentences :( ) but i think it's better to share it now, maybe the community will bring new ideas and also post some finished "code" to realize it step by step.

I'm also busy with RUS testing so i can't be everywhere... :D

TheDoctorKing

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:11 am

On contrabands in the navy:

Blacks were actually pretty commonly employees on the docks and on ships in the south before the Civil War. Frederick Douglass worked on the Baltimore docks while he was still a slave. It was not uncommon to encounter blacks as crewmen on merchant ships and even naval vessals. Sometimes, they even rose to noncommissioned rank - carpenters, boatswains, and suchlike. Robert Smalls was a harbor pilot in Charleston, South Carolina before the war and when the Union Navy blockaded his port, he stole his pilot boat and took it out to the Yankees. They put him to work and he later became the first black commissioned officer in the U.S. Navy.

So there wouldn't be a negative reaction in northern port cities to the use of contrabands in the navy. I would say Union-controlled areas where there were lots of slaves (southern Maryland, central and western Kentucky, central Missouri) would suffer a decrease in pro-Union sympathies as a result: the Union officers were not too particular about where the "contrabands" had run from, while the most pro-Union slaves would be leaving the area and joining the army.

The units should appear with the Union armies that are closest to large concentrations of slaves. One should definitely appear at Fort Monroe.

Maybe the Confederates could also raise black labor units. This would cost some loyalty in the regions where they were raised. They used a lot of black laborers to build the fortified lines around Richmond, Atlanta, and so on.
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

andatiep

Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:11 pm

TheDoctorKing wrote:On contrabands in the navy:

Noted.

I think they should give the bonus to speed the level of trenches, and the engineers should only be requested for building forts.

TheDoctorKing

Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:02 am

Maybe they could qualify as supply units for the purposes of building fortifications?
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “AACW Mods”